Does anyone else grow Dozier Crabapple?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I planted this one about 4 years ago and noticed it has just a few apples this time. It is marketed to be late dropping in the south (October and November). From the color of the fruit today, it does look like it will be late, because the apple is supposed to be red when ripe.

Just wondered if anyone grows this one and what your experiences are.......

I planted it the past Dec. Growing good so far but that about my only observation so far.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Planted one from the fruit tree group I got from The Wildlife Group. Been in the ground two years this winter, so no fruit yet.

I planted this one about 4 years ago and noticed it has just a few apples this time. It is marketed to be late dropping in the south (October and November). From the color of the fruit today, it does look like it will be late, because the apple is supposed to be red when ripe.

Just wondered if anyone grows this one and what your experiences are.......

How is your Dozier crab doing Steve?

How is your Dozier crab doing Steve?

It is a good tree Jordan. Leaves are fairly clean and no FB, although there will be a little leaf spotting without spraying. I haven’t had a huge crop yet but last year was very good. Makes a nice large red crab.

Last edited:
Cool.. You remember how long they hung on the tree?

Cool.. You remember how long they hung on the tree?

I quit going back in that area around mid October due to not wanting to pressure deer. I know they were still hanging then. I had some good pictures but lost them in the Photobucket crisis.

This year is crazy for apples. At home I have the best crop I ever remember having on nearly every tree - so heavy they really should be thinned on some trees. At my farm it is a really poor year and very few apples. The two places are less than 20 minutes apart.

Well, I was able to find this one picture.

HGmOcYEh.jpg

Well, I was able to find this one picture.

HGmOcYEh.jpg
Nice looking apples. I planted mine this year so I’m waiting as well

Thanks Steve! You know approx when you took this pic? Looks like perfect size to hang on the tree a lil longer!

Thanks Steve! You know approx when you took this pic? Looks like perfect size to hang on the tree a lil longer!

I did a little checking and I will estimate that picture was taken in July 2017. But I do remember the apples being on the tree into October, because I was watching them.

Here's a pic of one from my old farm in 2015.
bad_fruit5.JPG

If I'm remembering correctly. The fruit never would fall off the tree, it would hang until something picked it or it dried up on the tree. The damage shown was from Jap Beetles.

View attachment 18955

If I'm remembering correctly. The fruit never would fall off the tree, it would hang until something picked it or it dried up on the tree. The damage shown was from Jap Beetles.

I hate Japanese Beetles. They are hard on chestnut trees too. Don't seem to want to touch pear trees though.

View attachment 18955

Thought I read in Wild Life Groups catalog that all their crabs are on M111... I need to call them. Marked my 2016 planted Dolgos as m111.
You buy another hunting farm yet?

Thought I read in Wild Life Groups catalog that all their crabs are on M111... I need to call them. Marked my 2016 planted Dolgos as m111.
No. Just playing on the 15 acres I live on. Just can't bite the bullet to buy in dog country again and anything outside is too far away to manage.

Possible I messed up on the rootstock but for some reason that's what I put on the tags....I trust my tag over my memory :)

I purchased the crabapple group this year and I believe you are correct.