All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do deer eat Buckeye's?

Terry Colin

Yearling... With promise
I was walking the property this weekend and found a million buckeyes on the ground. Last we didn't find to many but this year they are raining from the trees. So my question is has anyone seen a deer eat one? I have read that they wont but wanted to hear what you guys have to say? Thanks

I don't think deer eat buckeyes. I always heard part of them are poison and squirrels know just what part is eatable.

Thanks Maddog.

i read somewhere that wolverines eat them in michigan........

bill

i read somewhere that wolverines eat them in michigan........

bill

Those poor wolverines have starved the last five years............................

haven't really ate much in the last fifteen!

I don't think deer eat buckeyes. I always heard part of them are poison and squirrels know just what part is eatable.

Also what I have heard. I have several at my place at home and the deer don't seem to touch them, but the squirrels are stacking them up in the wood pile. I have seen deer walk right past them without even a sniff.

As far as I know buckeye is just about worthless from a wildlife perspective. I have/had a bunch and never saw any critter use them. I now introduce many of them to the chainsaw and hing them.....they do hinge well because the wood itself is pretty soft. They make terrible timber trees. Only time I have seen anybody want one was to do some wood caving with. In my area they green up early and drop leaves early, very prolific.....I have considered cutting some for a rub post, but haven't tried it yet.....thinking the soft wood may be enticing to bucks to rub.

I certainly enjoy them....but the ones I eat are made with peanut butter and chocolate. :)

All kidding aside, in addition to Wolverines eating them, I understand there is a subspecies of lion that regularly chews them up and spits them out......Nittnay is the name of the subspecies.

This is interesting, I have heard of badgers in Wisconsin that will enjoy them from time to time as well.

Pffft............the lions need to quit bothering little cubs...they sure haven't bothered buckeyes much in the last couple decades either.

Badgers bothering buckeyes is almost a non-issue.

The Wolverines are the only thing that really ever matters to a buckeye...but like I said in the last two decades they haven't eatin many.

As far as I know buckeye is just about worthless from a wildlife perspective. I have/had a bunch and never saw any critter use them. I now introduce many of them to the chainsaw and hing them.....they do hinge well because the wood itself is pretty soft. They make terrible timber trees. Only time I have seen anybody want one was to do some wood caving with. In my area they green up early and drop leaves early, very prolific.....I have considered cutting some for a rub post, but haven't tried it yet.....thinking the soft wood may be enticing to bucks to rub.

Yes, these are the words I usually associate with buckeyes.

When I was growing up the old timers told me that only part of a buckeye was toxic and squirrels knew which parts to eat. Later in life I found that to be a fable. Controlled tests have been done, and a squirrel will eat the whole nut with no ill effects if no other food is available. I don't think it can be fully explained why squirrels are immune to the toxins, while other mammals are affected by it.

Some cows are dumb enough to try them (and die from it) but I would be surprised to see a deer ever try one. However, I learned a long time ago to never say never when it comes to a deer.

Yes, these are the words I usually associate with buckeyes.

Sounds like Buckeye envy..............................

Great question, I always wondered it myself as at my old house I had a yellow buckeye tree. There would be so many deer droppings around that tree, it was ridiculous. Empty buckeye pods everywhere too. I always heard they were poisonous, but I killed some nice bucks right under that tree. Every year is the same story, piles and piles of deer droppings once the pods started to drop.