Tree ID?

EastTexas22

Yearling... With promise
Hey guys I’ve read this forum for a long time and know there is alot of very knowledgeable people on here. I decided to created a account and ask a question I can’t figure out on my own.. I was walking around the woods last weekend, and came across a tree I cannot ID. I’m located in East Texas in Panola country( right next to Louisiana). Am I crazy or is this some type of Crabapple? Maybe a southern? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0922.jpeg
    IMG_0922.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 21
Hawthorn of some sort would be my guess

Adding two of your pics to the Picture This app.....

Screenshot_20231023_195731_PictureThis.jpg

My S. W. A. G. Is either a possum haw holly or yaupon holly. I‘m a couple counties over from you in Cherokee, but I’ve hunted a lot in Deep East Texas where there is lots of yaupon. The bark, berries, and leaves look like yaupon to me.

Yaupon Holly

Last edited:
My S. W. A. G. Is either a possum haw holly or yaupon holly. I‘m a couple counties over from you in Cherokee, but I’ve hunted a lot in Deep East Texas where there is lots of yaupon. The bark, berries, and leaves look like yaupon to me.
You are getting fast in your old age. You beat me to it. 😬

I agree it does look like a holly, but do they also have thorns?

Attachments

• IMG_0951.png
    IMG_0951.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I agree it does look like a holly, but do they also have thorns?

I personally don't have any on my land, but according to the Noble Foundation (see link below) they can have thorns.

PS - and after looking a little closer I think it is possum haw rather than Yaupon. They are a lot alike and the names are sometimes even used interchangeably as you also see in the link below.

Edit: found another link that mentions the thorns:

Last edited: