All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dibble or Shovel?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I will be planting about 100 seedlings this spring (Norway Spruce and Wild Plum) and have always used a shovel and that gets old after a while, plus the fresh dirt seems to be an attractant to things that want to eat my seedlings! I have zero experience with a dibble and was curious what most people used. Thanks.

VV

My wild plum bare-roots had roots too big for a dibble. A lot of them needed a small hole dug. Suppose you could trim a bunch of roots off and stuff it in, but that's about as tedious as digging a quick hole.

My wild plum bare-roots had roots too big for a dibble. A lot of them needed a small hole dug. Suppose you could trim a bunch of roots off and stuff it in, but that's about as tedious as digging a quick hole.

I don't want to do any damage to the root system. Guess the shovel and I will be getting fondly aquainted again come spring!

VV

Many of my plums looked like this. Made it tough! I didn't have a dibble at the time, so was using a spade as a dibble on the small ones but as a shovel on these beasts.

20150327_111522.jpg

Many of my plums looked like this. Made it tough! I didn't have a dibble at the time, so was using a spade as a dibble on the small ones but as a shovel on these beasts.

View attachment 22904

Wow, looks like very healthy plants. I can see why a dibble didnt' work!

VV

Usually a dibble for pines and a shovel for many hardwood. If you have an auger on your tractor, that might be the least labor intensive.

I use both, depending on the root size.

View attachment 22904

Where did you get those?

Dibble for bare root seedlings.

Missouri dept of conservation.

20150325_085700.jpg

Does the dude come with it? Looks like a tool for a maneater.

Hit one good rock & it's broken wrists. Too stony for us to use.

I switched to this several years ago ... you won't regret the investment.

Earthquake Auger
I looked into renting one this spring and I'm going to try it, if it works this good I will probably buy one.

Hit one good rock & it's broken wrists. Too stony for us to use.

I have hit 1000's of rocks, some as large as a football with no issues. There is a spring release on the shaft that helps absorb if you hit a rock or root. Like all engine driven items, you learn to hold & control so you don't get injured.

I looked into renting one this spring and I'm going to try it, if it works this good I will probably buy one.

You can get different diameter drills. Does a good job of breaking up soil and I can drill down 18", spread the roots out as I plant a lot of 2-3 year old transplants. A 4"-6" drill would be good for bare root seedlings.

For our soils, I have given up using a dibble bar.

Also found the auger was a no go as well. To much grass root mass plugs the blade an I spend to much time cleaning the auger blades.

Found the shovel is the best tool for my needs.