Dibble or Shovel?

Those Wolverine products look pretty good, great value. I will vouch that ones from WW Manufacturing (King of Spades line) are also great tools, but would guess that Wolverine may edge them in price. I think both are made in the US, pick the one you like...

I used a shovel and a drill auger last year. Both gave me good results. The shovel is a laborious way of doing it, but it gave me peace of mind when I'd find a 4 foot wide rock less than 2 feet below that would have given a taproot some problems. I thought about getting an auger for the tractor but didn't end up doing that.

wolverine tree spade goes for 56.75$ on line from Pacforest Supply..........ordered one yesterday
l

Did you get your tree spade?

I got it!

i have hazelnut,service berry,false indigo,and aromatic sumac from MDC shipping 3/18

Cant wait to give it a try

bill

Sunrise here shortly.......

Breaking in my new tree spade with bare root hazelnut,sumac,arrow wood ,and serviceberry from MDC

Will provide review at end of weekend

bill

Sunrise here shortly.......

Breaking in my new tree spade with bare root hazelnut,sumac,arrow wood ,and serviceberry from MDC

Will provide review at end of weekend

bill
I am getting a little worried I have a few hundred trees on the way Monday and the ground is still frozen. A bunch of those are cuttings and it is going to take a little more effort to get them 20” in the ground. I am a little more concerned for the fruit trees on the way though.

Think the thread title needs modification to to include a 'frost bucket' as option??

wolverine tree spade well worth the money.......positive recs were justified

Lighter than dibble bar......less force required(subjectively)...... much better for clay/loam soils

Energy efficient and ergonomically friendly planting tool

bill

Many of my plums looked like this. Made it tough! I didn't have a dibble at the time, so was using a spade as a dibble on the small ones but as a shovel on these beasts.

View attachment 22904

I am very jealous. My MDC plums were puny by comparison. I used a drill auger for those and the norways, which made quick work of planting. The hazelnuts had multiple suckers with a wide corresponding root system, so I used a shovel for those. 25 red osier dogwood from the IA DNR are next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavey, would you get the Wolverine with the 12" or 15" blade? You linked to the 12", but isn't bigger always better? I think I'm also going to order the Hiballer as well. Always enough digging to do that they'll be put to use. Can finally retire a couple old spades with cracks lol.

Cavey, would you get the Wolverine with the 12" or 15" blade? You linked to the 12", but isn't bigger always better? I think I'm also going to order the Hiballer as well. Always enough digging to do that they'll be put to use. Can finally retire a couple old spades with cracks lol.

I believe I do have the larger 15” wolverine ... I can check if you like ... you can ask tree daddy too, what size he went with. Between the two you can pretty much get all the bare root stuff in the ground.... 1-3 year nursery seedling stuff . Large stuff like apple trees or freaky 3 year old basswood root stock which has huge root systems - you have to spade out larger holes. Anything you could work with a dibble - will go in faster - no regrets

I got my king of spades from Forestrysupplies.com

Had to decide between the Bushpro Hiballer and their "more popular in Canada" Speed Spade. Basically identical except the former is half an inch wider. Went with cavey's Hiballer. Also have the 15" Wolverine coming. If my 9 day old sciatica situation doesn't improve, my booger-pickers can fight over the shovels. :emoji_anguished:

I bought a tree spade today,It's a small one at 32" but will move cedars and smaller oaks

Can you tell us a little bit about the 32" tree spade? I don't know anything about those but sounds like a better option to manual labor(can't do much after messing my back up).

I bought it barely used it is a BC brand and I'm sure not as heavy as a Big John but also not as expensive.I weighs 1000 lbs by itself.I will get some pics

Had to decide between the Bushpro Hiballer and their "more popular in Canada" Speed Spade. Basically identical except the former is half an inch wider. Went with cavey's Hiballer. Also have the 15" Wolverine coming. If my 9 day old sciatica situation doesn't improve, my booger-pickers can fight over the shovels. :emoji_anguished:

Let me know what you think of them when you get them in your hands. The Hiballer works good for 1-3 year old pine seedlings, redosier dogwood sized bare roots and even many of the smaller rooted hard woods the wolverine will do the rest.:emoji_thumbsup:I dont believe you would have needed anything wider - its kind of the nice thing about the Hiballer, the narrower blade, when the ground is soft you can pretty much shoot it in by hand alone. A wider blade would be harder to get in and slow ya down plus you dont have the boat anchor weight of a dibble to lift every time.

The sciatica issue sucks - been there a few times, its a semi chronic issue for me at times.

Heres the BC tree spadeView attachment 27991
Boom! The Mother Maul of all tree spades - ya that would be cool to have! Beyond jealous! :emoji_punch: fist bump that one!

Ps... hell it looks like ya got a tank too in the upper right background!

When you said tree spade you weren't kidding! That should move lots. Now you will need that bigger tractor.