Dibble or Shovel?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I will be planting about 100 seedlings this spring (Norway Spruce and Wild Plum) and have always used a shovel and that gets old after a while, plus the fresh dirt seems to be an attractant to things that want to eat my seedlings! I have zero experience with a dibble and was curious what most people used. Thanks.

VV

My wild plum bare-roots had roots too big for a dibble. A lot of them needed a small hole dug. Suppose you could trim a bunch of roots off and stuff it in, but that's about as tedious as digging a quick hole.

My wild plum bare-roots had roots too big for a dibble. A lot of them needed a small hole dug. Suppose you could trim a bunch of roots off and stuff it in, but that's about as tedious as digging a quick hole.

I don't want to do any damage to the root system. Guess the shovel and I will be getting fondly aquainted again come spring!

VV

Many of my plums looked like this. Made it tough! I didn't have a dibble at the time, so was using a spade as a dibble on the small ones but as a shovel on these beasts.

20150327_111522.jpg

Many of my plums looked like this. Made it tough! I didn't have a dibble at the time, so was using a spade as a dibble on the small ones but as a shovel on these beasts.

View attachment 22904

Wow, looks like very healthy plants. I can see why a dibble didnt' work!

VV

Usually a dibble for pines and a shovel for many hardwood. If you have an auger on your tractor, that might be the least labor intensive.

I use both, depending on the root size.

View attachment 22904

Where did you get those?

Dibble for bare root seedlings.

Missouri dept of conservation.

20150325_085700.jpg

Does the dude come with it? Looks like a tool for a maneater.

Hit one good rock & it's broken wrists. Too stony for us to use.

I switched to this several years ago ... you won't regret the investment.

Earthquake Auger
I looked into renting one this spring and I'm going to try it, if it works this good I will probably buy one.

Hit one good rock & it's broken wrists. Too stony for us to use.

I have hit 1000's of rocks, some as large as a football with no issues. There is a spring release on the shaft that helps absorb if you hit a rock or root. Like all engine driven items, you learn to hold & control so you don't get injured.

I looked into renting one this spring and I'm going to try it, if it works this good I will probably buy one.

You can get different diameter drills. Does a good job of breaking up soil and I can drill down 18", spread the roots out as I plant a lot of 2-3 year old transplants. A 4"-6" drill would be good for bare root seedlings.

For our soils, I have given up using a dibble bar.

Also found the auger was a no go as well. To much grass root mass plugs the blade an I spend to much time cleaning the auger blades.

Found the shovel is the best tool for my needs.