Cuddelink general Q&A recommendations

So I think the main issue that we are having is the cameras are located in wooded areas. A lot of the people I see are on or in fields/plots. I am also in the pacific northwest and even better my hunting area is closer to the coast so the amount of viable sunlight is minimal. I am looking to put these cameras out for 6 months plus at a time... Ultimate goal. You do not recommend your 12-volt adapter plug? I can put a car battery out with a 10-watt solar panel and that plug versus the cuddelink 2-watt solar panel. I would think that a car battery would have a much larger reserve. I am not trying to argue. Just trying to find the most viable option. Also is there a post somewhere for setting up the cameras and what the settings do? I have been reading a lot of posts and feel I am woefully ignorant. I am thinking I am not using these tools to maximum efficiency.
in that situation yes stay away form solar and the 12 volt with a large capacity battery may be your best option. i would not run any batteries in the camera if running the 12volt cable with a large 12 volt battery

So I think the main issue that we are having is the cameras are located in wooded areas. A lot of the people I see are on or in fields/plots. I am also in the pacific northwest and even better my hunting area is closer to the coast so the amount of viable sunlight is minimal. I am looking to put these cameras out for 6 months plus at a time... Ultimate goal. You do not recommend your 12-volt adapter plug? I can put a car battery out with a 10-watt solar panel and that plug versus the cuddelink 2-watt solar panel. I would have a much longer wire so that I could place my solar in a better location also. I would think that a car battery would have a much larger reserve. Can I use a solar panel along with the alkaline batteries in the camera and the 3358 booster? I am not trying to argue. Just trying to find the most viable option. Also is there a post somewhere for setting up the cameras and what the settings do? I have been reading a lot of posts and feel I am woefully ignorant. I am thinking I am not using these tools to maximum efficiency.
If you use Facebook join the Cuddeback users of America page or Cuddeback Freaks Q & A Group page. A lot of info there.

I am getting ready to drive 9 hrs to Central Ohio to place cameras. Is anyone around Licking or Knox County’s having this problem with pictures getting sent.

in that situation yes stay away form solar and the 12 volt with a large capacity battery may be your best option. i would not run any batteries in the camera if running the 12volt cable with a large 12 volt battery
Really appreciate your assistance.. I am going to switch one camera over to the 12 volt system... I guess we will see.

I have noticed that some people run solar on the dual power bank with rechargeable batteries in one bank. Then run alkaline in the other bank and in the camera, is that acceptable? Does the solar only charge one bank? If so I may compare a dual power bank with solar attached to and alkaline in the rest. It would give me the 7.6 in the solar along with 6 rechargeable in the bank and then 12 alkaline after that.

I have noticed that some people run solar on the dual power bank with rechargeable batteries in one bank. Then run alkaline in the other bank and in the camera, is that acceptable? Does the solar only charge one bank? If so I may compare a dual power bank with solar attached to and alkaline in the rest. It would give me the 7.6 in the solar along with 6 rechargeable in the bank and then 12 alkaline after that.
yes, run 10Kmah rechargeables in bank 1 and rayovac high energy in bank 2, you need to use the correct solar panel and correct cable (yellow ot yellow) when running a dual power bank the way you described. only bank one is charged, bank 2 is a back up.

John, I run all of my cameras with a 12 V 9ah battery. Is the reason not to include the D batteries in the camera itself in this setup because of the risk of the voltage adapter cable (which takes it down to 9V) from Cuddeback malfunctioning from a chewed through wire or something? What would I be risking if I wanted to extend my battery life by also including D's?

Thanks!

John, I run all of my cameras with a 12 V 9ah battery. Is the reason not to include the D batteries in the camera itself in this setup because of the risk of the voltage adapter cable (which takes it down to 9V) from Cuddeback malfunctioning from a chewed through wire or something? What would I be risking if I wanted to extend my battery life by also including D's?

Thanks!
if you are running it on a camera with a 4 d pack on it you shouldnt have issues but you want to stay away from running it when you also have 9 volts in the camera battery pack as well such as a K or a J with 12 aa's , in those cases just run the 12 vote battery with adapter. We have had experiences where doing the later runs the 12 volt battery down very fast.

if you are running it on a camera with a 4 d pack on it you shouldnt have issues but you want to stay away from running it when you also have 9 volts in the camera battery pack as well such as a K or a J with 12 aa's , in those cases just run the 12 vote battery with adapter. We have had experiences where doing the later runs the 12 volt battery down very fast.
That's great to hear John thank you very much for the prompt response.

Is there a setting that will help with this glare? Or is the only option to move the camera?

Also, we have a brand new Cell system, k with three js. One of the Js will not link to any of the cameras, even when standing right next to it. Is there a fix for this problem?

last question, when we pull The home card, will the images from the Js be 20mp or 5mp?

Attachments

• 5ED6D94A-435B-43C3-9F3C-327B1F5D7ED4.jpeg
    5ED6D94A-435B-43C3-9F3C-327B1F5D7ED4.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 12
Is there a setting that will help with this glare? Or is the only option to move the camera?

Also, we have a brand new Cell system, k with three js. One of the Js will not link to any of the cameras, even when standing right next to it. Is there a fix for this problem?

last question, when we pull The home card, will the images from the Js be 20mp or 5mp?
You cold try lowering the aim a bit. If the subject is mid screen that would put the glare higher in the picture.

On the j that won’t connect, put a different antenna on it, make sure the firmware matches the home unit and also try another sd card in it.
the home camera images from the remotes will be thumbnails , the images on the remotes sd card will be 5 mp or 20 mo depending on what you set it at .

Maybe a basic question, but should I hve having issues with my cuddebacks if I'm not using the black "high quality" cards? They're all SD brand, but I haven't received any pictures since I swapped things out last thursday. Batteries are all good and I get my report daily, but no pictures. I may need to run the upgrade on the cams as well, correct?

cards are the root of many issues but its not normal for an entire batch to have issues at once. i would dig a bit deep on you settings to be sure something isnt up other than the cards.

Those using cuddeback camp, can you change the camera name thru camp?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Those using cuddeback camp, can you change the camera name thru camp?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
yes you can

can anyone tell me why the J camera that has the 6 d batteries will only last a couple of weeks? my other D cameras i'm getting over 60 days. This camera is the last one in the chain (back ridge name) and connects to a repeater.

see below
1600040299807.png

can anyone tell me why the J camera that has the 6 d batteries will only last a couple of weeks? my other D cameras i'm getting over 60 days. This camera is the last one in the chain (back ridge name) and connects to a repeater.

see below
View attachment 31668
you should get 80-100 days average if you use new Rayovac high energy D's, in warmer climates they can run considerable longer than 100 days. i would check voltage on what you have.. even one bad battery will cause issues. if they are new and full power and this happens you need to send that camera in for service or at least try another battery pack on it.
You also want that repeater to have a level of 20 or above if at all possible.

you should get 80-100 days average if you use new Rayovac high energy D's, in warmer climates they can run considerable longer than 100 days. i would check voltage on what you have.. even one bad battery will cause issues. if they are new and full power and this happens you need to send that camera in for service or at least try another battery pack on it.
You also want that repeater to have a level of 20 or above if at all possible.

John,

Yeah they are brand new so something else must be going on. I may order a new battery pack before I send in for service.

FYI, I really wish the screws cudde uses were of better quality. The screws in the security boxes and now the screws on the D battery packs just twist off after a few turns. I have now had both happen to me with screws right out of the box in the field of course. Just something for the product managers to think about.

On the repeater, when I set it up and hang out on the property it's in the 60-70s but on the reports it drops below 20 a lot. I'm not sure what i can do because of the location needed for the repeater to be placed. I have it up in a tree about 8 feet out on a ridge edge to get the signal down in the valley below and to shoot it over to the next hill top, where my "back ridge camera" is placed.

would the back ridge camera battery drain be caused by constantly trying to connect between the repeater/home camera throughout the day?

John,

Yeah they are brand new so something else must be going on. I may order a new battery pack before I send in for service.

FYI, I really wish the screws cudde uses were of better quality. The screws in the security boxes and now the screws on the D battery packs just twist off after a few turns. I have now had both happen to me with screws right out of the box in the field of course. Just something for the product managers to think about.

On the repeater, when I set it up and hang out on the property it's in the 60-70s but on the reports it drops below 20 a lot. I'm not sure what i can do because of the location needed for the repeater to be placed. I have it up in a tree about 8 feet out on a ridge edge to get the signal down in the valley below and to shoot it over to the next hill top, where my "back ridge camera" is placed.

would the back ridge camera battery drain be caused by constantly trying to connect between the repeater/home camera throughout the day?
If its dropping that much the lower number is probably when its linking to home and not another unit. If you dont have any other option on where to place it i would use it as is.
a camera or repeater that is used as a link will use more battery than one that is linking directly etc. The more cameras that are linking thru a repeater or camera will cause more battery usage.