All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Put in some Alkalines and run a test batch.
Buy a cheap multi-meter and check voltage at the moment you put them in camera.
Or buy new batch of Rechargables.

IMO, NiMh are a royal PITA. Very finicky how they are charged.

I bought 4 of the Cuddeback solar panels when they were first released. Every one had at least 1 bad battery. I ended up throwing all the Tenergy batteries away and buying Rayovac.

What SD cards have y’all found to work best. I’ve been having some issues but I’m thinking it’s just the old card.

What SD cards have y’all found to work best. I’ve been having some issues but I’m thinking it’s just the old card.
I’ve used SanDisk, PNY and Lexar from 1GB to 32GB and class 4 and 10 without issue.

Got my solar panels today for my J series cameras. Hope to get them deployed this weekend. Charging the batteries that came with them as we speak. Really hope this works out well for me.

its VERY important that all of your rechargeable batteries are fully charged before deploying them in the field with the solar panel. Even one bad battery will cause issues. The solar panel basically continually tops them off its not designed to bring them back from dead. Even though you purchased the solar kit new, there are no guarantee the batteries were shipped fully charged. The are low self discharge batteries but again that doesnt guarantee it. Cuddeback includes a charging cord but a better option that i recommend is to purchase a 12-16 bay charger from Tenergy(about $30) that allows you to fully charge each battery before deploying them in the field if you are using multiple solar kits in your network. Rechargeables are right on the cusp of adequate voltage even when fully charged, so if they are a tad low out of the gate you wont get the battery life you desire.

I am charging the batteries now that I got with the panels today with the Tenergy charger. They are taking a while to charge so they must be at least a little low when shipped.

I have the k cell set to close. Should I set it to far? The water hole is 12 yards away. Not the best pics at that distance.

Attachments

• 17302.jpeg
    17302.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 51
I have the k cell set to close. Should I set it to far? The water hole is 12 yards away. Not the best pics at that distance.
Judging by the pic you attached you have the setting ideal for illumination, transmitted images are low res at small setting if you need a higher res it’s on the card or you can run it at 1 Mp or 5 mo in cell solo mode

Here is comparison of Flashes.
Home camera- K model Blackflash and IR
vs
Camera 3- Powerhouse Blackflash

Attachments

• 8B8EB062-ED9A-4C60-8689-1C8A609898FA.png
    8B8EB062-ED9A-4C60-8689-1C8A609898FA.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 5FEA872B-C026-40A7-A516-13073182D023.png
    5FEA872B-C026-40A7-A516-13073182D023.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 7133A325-47FD-4FD3-B79B-E9FD8FAA52FC.png
    7133A325-47FD-4FD3-B79B-E9FD8FAA52FC.png
    379.7 KB · Views: 50
vs

Does the powerhouse use more battery than normal flash?

If you add burst to your settings, the LED’s will stay on longer. Maybe provide more light.

If you add burst to your settings, the LED’s will stay on longer. Maybe provide more light.
keep in mind when running burst with cuddelink mode you will only get the first image transmitted , the other images will be on the card but wont be transmitted to home and or sent via cell.

keep in mind when running burst with cuddelink mode you will only get the first image transmitted , the other images will be on the card but wont be transmitted to home and or sent via cell.

Yes, I would think if it does have any effect I would say it would be on subsequent pics. On a regular camera, video might produce better results too. Maybe we just have too high of expectation’s for the IR exposed pictures! That’s a pretty good picture to me.

vs
I think those weeds close to the camera in the first 2 pics are hurting your flash range, the camera is probably picking them up and exposing the picture for that distance. The only way to compare them fairly if for them to be setup in exactly the same spot and same conditions. That being said I love the powerhouse modules, I have 3 of them and they stay in my cameras.

I think those weeds close to the camera in the first 2 pics are hurting your flash range, the camera is probably picking them up and exposing the picture for that distance. The only way to compare them fairly if for them to be setup in exactly the same spot and same conditions. That being said I love the powerhouse modules, I have 3 of them and they stay in my cameras.[/QUOTE

Yes David, you're right it's not 100% equal comparison. The exposure numbers are a little different, but the light value of the flash itself will drive that also. In 2-3 weeks I will be trying the the IR Flash Module (56-850nm LED's). When I do, I will try to give a better comparison.

I have 10 J-1422 with the D battery packs. I also have solar panels for all the cameras, solar did not perform up to expectations, and I really need A LOT more battery life for this system to be worth the money I’ve invested. ( 3-4 times in to change batteries last year blew my mind, Cuddeback customer service does not seam to understand how this completely defeats the purpose of the system or why I’m upset wasting more and more money,buying upgrades, that didn’t work as advertised) Will the 3358 work plugged into my j-1422 d pack? Or does anyone have an aftermarket battery pack solution? I can’t sit on thousands of dollars in equipment waiting another hunting season for Cuddeback to come up with a solution? Thanks!

I have 10 J-1422 with the D battery packs. I also have solar panels for all the cameras, solar did not perform up to expectations, and I really need A LOT more battery life for this system to be worth the money I’ve invested. ( 3-4 times in to change batteries last year blew my mind, Cuddeback customer service does not seam to understand how this completely defeats the purpose of the system or why I’m upset wasting more and more money,buying upgrades, that didn’t work as advertised) Will the 3358 work plugged into my j-1422 d pack? Or does anyone have an aftermarket battery pack solution? I can’t sit on thousands of dollars in equipment waiting another hunting season for Cuddeback to come up with a solution? Thanks!
I was told the 3358 will work with the J series D cell battery pack once the cord is released.

IF...you have plenty of sun, go solar with large lead acid battery. Most of these panels are 12v-2w. That’s 130-170ma (.13-.17a) max output. I doubt you will achieve that on the best day. At best, it is a trickle charger. If you take and send extreme amount of pictures, I do not think NiMH are the way to go.

I’m on 40days 800+ pics on Alkalines.