All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Pep,

Here is a couple interesting anecdotes I've posted before. I was archery hunting in the suburbs in a tree only a few yards off a homeowners back deck (this was part of a population control effort in the suburbs). Boys were playing basketball in the driveway out front. Dogs were barking up the street, and the neighbor was mowing his lawn. A group of deer fed on acorns passing the guy mowing is lawn at about 30 yards. They would look at him occasionally but basically ignored him. At one point they were 50 yards or so away from his yard. He took the bag off his mower and took a few steps into the woods to empty the bag. As soon as he stepped into the woods the reacted and took off. While he was where he was "supposed to be", he was not a threat. The minute his behavior changed and he left the bounds of his yard, the reacted.

Similarly I worked on a project that had been over run with deer at a training facility. Deer were in such bad shape there was an 8' browse line in the wooded area. Visitors to the facility would feed ice cream cones to the deer and they would eat out of their hands. They had almost become tame. When the grounds were sold to a developer, they were concerned about landscaping but also wanted a low-profile population control effort and our suburban bowhunting group was enlisted. Because the area was still used by the pubic, we set up rules that included all shots would be inside 20 yards from a treestand. For the first couple weeks deer were easy pickings but the quickly adapted. After a couple weeks you would walk within a few yards of a deer with no reaction, but once you climbed a tree they would disappear and started walking through the woods looking into trees. They quickly learned that humans on the ground were not a threat but those in a tree were a threat.

I'm not suggesting that suburban deer act at all like deer in the big woods. I am saying that deer are a very plastic species and given enough time will acclimate and change their behavior. There are simply different influences in different places.

Thanks,

Jack

Pep,

Here is a couple interesting anecdotes I've posted before. I was archery hunting in the suburbs in a tree only a few yards off a homeowners back deck (this was part of a population control effort in the suburbs). Boys were playing basketball in the driveway out front. Dogs were barking up the street, and the neighbor was mowing his lawn. A group of deer fed on acorns passing the guy mowing is lawn at about 30 yards. They would look at him occasionally but basically ignored him. At one point they were 50 yards or so away from his yard. He took the bag off his mower and took a few steps into the woods to empty the bag. As soon as he stepped into the woods the reacted and took off. While he was where he was "supposed to be", he was not a threat. The minute his behavior changed and he left the bounds of his yard, the reacted.

Similarly I worked on a project that had been over run with deer at a training facility. Deer were in such bad shape there was an 8' browse line in the wooded area. Visitors to the facility would feed ice cream cones to the deer and they would eat out of their hands. They had almost become tame. When the grounds were sold to a developer, they were concerned about landscaping but also wanted a low-profile population control effort and our suburban bowhunting group was enlisted. Because the area was still used by the pubic, we set up rules that included all shots would be inside 20 yards from a treestand. For the first couple weeks deer were easy pickings but the quickly adapted. After a couple weeks you would walk within a few yards of a deer with no reaction, but once you climbed a tree they would disappear and started walking through the woods looking into trees. They quickly learned that humans on the ground were not a threat but those in a tree were a threat.

I'm not suggesting that suburban deer act at all like deer in the big woods. I am saying that deer are a very plastic species and given enough time will acclimate and change their behavior. There are simply different influences in different places.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, I could easily see how this happened. One experience I had this year was when I was putting in a food plot, I drove around the plot dragging it with my atv. I happened to stop and look up and there was a deer 15 ft away from me just browsing around. As long as I didn't turn off my atv the deer didn't care one bit I was there. It was a pretty cool interaction.

One thing I believe is that when you walk into the woods not hunting, try using the same paths all the time. I think deer find it as less of a threat. It's like a person sitting in there house. You see people walking out on the street, It's where they are suppose to be and you don't think twice about it. Now if a stranger walks into your house uninvited instead of staying on the road. It's a complete intrusion of privacy and space. I think that carries over to the deer woods.

fascinated by these tales^^^^^^

excellent analogy

bill

Bill,
Similar to Pep's experience, but not quite the same, when we first bought our property it had high volumes of low quality food and near zero high quality foods. The local ethic was to shoot anything with "horns" and let does walk. Our initial food plot program was more of an emergency room operation. Many of our plots are on a pipeline that bisects the property. Most of the fields are around 100 yards long and about 60 wide. In the first couple years, as I would mow a clover plot, it was not uncommon for young deer to come out and feed in the opposite end of the field while I was mowing. When I would make the loop, they would just ease back into the pines as I would approach and when I made the next turn to go back, they would come back out and feed as I was headed to the other end of the field.

Now, I rarely see deed when I'm doing food plot work. If I do they are several hundred yards away. They now have plenty of quality food and put much more weight on risk than they did when I started. They are amazing creatures!

Thanks,

jack

God's creatures.......of Divine Design

bill

Hello everyone new to your site, I also am interested in this new Technology as well the concept of a long range wifi camera is awesome , I currently have created and also installed a mesh network for sending internet at long distances for a 10K run every year we use a system that can reach up to 13 K in distance,

I currently use spypoint cell since my hunting property is in Missouri and I am Green Bay , so its hard to check the cameras 600 miles away

one thing I am curious is with the cuddelink home device and all the pictures being sent to it the software ( i think its called tropohyroom ) I currently dont use cuddeback trailcameras is it possible to create a web site from inside this software so multiple people can access the software from anywhere

0ne thing I am curious is with the cuddelink home device and all the pictures being sent to it the software ( i think its called tropohyroom ) I currently dont use cuddeback trailcameras is it possible to create a web site from inside this software so multiple people can access the software from anywhere

I haven't ordered mine yet but do use BEC's. So I cant speak to trophy room. To be able to remotely access the home device it has to be on a computer hooked to the net. once connected I dont think you need a website. Giving multiple people remote access to that PC via the internet is easy. I use Splashtop Streamer with a special g-mail account. My brother uses the same account so he can also log in. the only hitch is two people cant be logged in at the same time.

Nice to meet you bill most of my mesh type of network is Poe network I have not yet figured out how to power it by solar and how to hook up a camera to it so it can run any camera etc on it

Also if I can a longer range antenna that would work on a raspberry pi 3 it is possible to use it as a long range camera

As a BEC user, I have the computer store the images on Google Drive - anyone can access them from anywhere with the correct permissions.

-John

I post my pictures to a web site. The web site requires an account for access. Only other owners and a few guests have access.
Nice to meet you bill most of my mesh type of network is Poe network I have not yet figured out how to power it by solar and how to hook up a camera to it so it can run any camera etc on it
Hello everyone new to your site, I also am interested in this new Technology as well the concept of a long range wifi camera is awesome , I currently have created and also installed a mesh network for sending internet at long distances for a 10K run every year we use a system that can reach up to 13 K in distance,

I currently use spypoint cell since my hunting property is in Missouri and I am Green Bay , so its hard to check the cameras 600 miles away

one thing I am curious is with the cuddelink home device and all the pictures being sent to it the software ( i think its called tropohyroom ) I currently dont use cuddeback trailcameras is it possible to create a web site from inside this software so multiple people can access the software from anywhere

Greg,

In general, wifi is not a great technology for this application. There are generally two approaches being use. One is the cellular approach where cameras send pictures over the commercial cellular network. The big advantage with this approach is that if you have good cell coverage, it is simple to use and the towers are generally high so you have little blockage. The big disadvantage is the monthly cell phone bill. Most camera companies in this market downsample pictures to a thumbnail of the original image and you need to pull an SD card to get a full size image. This keeps the cell network costs manageable but eliminates full resolution images. The second approach is generally a private network operating in the 900 MHz free spectrum with a frequency hopping signal. Output power is limited by the FCC but you don't need a license to use this frequency. This is essentially a form of packet radio with various levels of protocol that can be used. The downside with this approach is the complexity of setup and the potential attenuation from dense foliage. Setup cost can be high but you can get full resolution pictures with no recurring cost if you base is within a mile or two depending on conditions. Another advantage is that with proper solar panels charging the batteries, cameras can run unattended for many months without a visit. If you are too far for a base, a cell base can be used. Pictures are consolidated to one account and transmitted over the cell network to anywhere you want.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks John the problem is our land is 175 acres in Missouri and to put out 4 or more of those cameras would be expensive a persons would have to start small

Greg, on your property in Missouri do you have access to the internet? Supposedly cuddeback's system can use Microsofts' one drive to store images and that's how it's accessed over the internet. Otherwise it sounds like 2018 they will be coming out with a cell home base unit. If you don't mind me asking, what type of spypoint cell camera do you have? I have a live 3G camera along with cuddeback's new cuddelink system and for reference images seem to be about the same as far as compressed resolution goes.

Peplin yes my cousins has internet access and we currently use spypoint cell camera we was using the little acorn cell camera but the att plan was expensive the spypoint I am only paying 15 a month and it's not a bad service

if I can figure out how to setup a camera and connect it to a ubiquiti access point I can stretch my wifi signal up to 13 kilometers but I would have to figure out how to power it in the field by solar

Peplin yes my cousins has internet access and we currently use spypoint cell camera we was using the little acorn cell camera but the att plan was expensive the spypoint I am only paying 15 a month and it's not a bad service

if I can figure out how to setup a camera and connect it to a ubiquiti access point I can stretch my wifi signal up to 13 kilometers but I would have to figure out how to power it in the field by solar

You're gonna find a few issues here. Wifi operates above a gig (2.4 and higher for most). This means you really need LOS. You may have that in your case but few will. Second, commercial wifi are designed without power saving in mind. When I was playing around with solar and trying to charge a 6-volt battery with a 12-volt controller, one of the first things I tried as simply to step down the 12-volts from a 33 ah SLA to 7.5 and feed it to the camera battery. First, this can create an over charging situation with the battery unless you have circuitry to protect from it, but more importantly, because the load was constant, the 33 ah battery would drain much faster than a 45 watt panel could keep up with. My next step was to provide that 12-volts from the programmable light timer on the charge controller. It would switch in the DC/DC converter to get to 7.5 volts for a few hours each night. This did reasonably well. The 6-volt SLA in the camera would only get that 7.5 volts for a few hours, but the solar panel could keep up with the 33 ah 12-volt battery. I finally found a 6-volt charge controller for the solar panel and that was by far the best solution. The PWM controller provides only the power needed to charge the battery.

My point of the story is this. When you step down voltage, unless you use a timer or some other switching mechanism, you put a continuous load on the battery and that wasted power discharges your battery quickly. So when you are dealing with always on equipment like wifi access points, you are going to need to solve this. This is not impossible but I don't know of any commercial devices you and buy and hook up.

So, let's say you can solve that. You are still dealing with an access point device that expects to always be on with unlimited power. This will drain a battery pretty quickly which means a large battery, large panels, and lots of sun. Both the cell solution and the 900 MHz packet radio solutions use radios that do power management. They certainly make commercial wifi that does manage power. You see this in the mobile access points like Verizon's mifi that are a small wifi router on one end and 4g on the other. Mine will run for over a day on a charge with a small battery. You might find something like this without the 4g on the other end. Of course, this means if your power is consumption is on the light end, you're going to need to make that up with a narrow beam antenna.

Sounds like a fun project to paly with. Let us know how it works out and if you find a viable solution.

Thanks,

Jack

Cuddeback- Cuddelink Solar Solution

A couple of months ago we invested in 4 of the cuddeback/cuddelink cameras. So far we are pleased with the system with the exception of battery usage. This led us to exploring a solar option.

A call to Cuddeback customer service revealed that they do not currently have a solar solution for these cameras. We found a six volt solar charger at Cabellas. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...VCIRpCh2r5w-oEAQYAiABEgKq1_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The plug that goes into the bottom of the camera needs some engineering to fit. A dremel tool was used to shave off a bit of the rubber so it would fit the camera connection. No need to have batteries in the camera and not need to use a jump wire to complete the circuit inside the camera battery compartment. It is a plug and play solution once

Attachments

• IMG_1490 copy.JPG
    IMG_1490 copy.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 40
Bumping this thread, to see if any users of the cuddelink system have any updates. Taking a morning off from hunting the WI northwoods. All deer actitvity very slow by us. VERY WINDY this morning.

WOW. You must have ESP. Battery consumption was (is) a concern. I'm also in bear country. Doesn't look real adaptive to a "security box". Bears are drawn to our cameras.

WOW. You must have ESP. Battery consumption was (is) a concern. I'm also in bear country. Doesn't look real adaptive to a "security box". Bears are drawn to our cameras.

That little solar panel won't do much for charging. Then again, only transmitting thumbnails is not a powerhog like transmitting full resolution images. I've had to go to 50 or 60 watt panels for my BECs that transmit full images.

Thanks,

Jack

We need a serious Black Friday sale on these! I would pick up a couple to try. If anyone finds them on sale, please let us know.