Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Ok, thanks. I will consider changing it once I see if battery life is any better with CL Delay set to 1 hr. Each of my cameras is sending around 80 pics per week to the home unit.

Overall Cuddelink REVIEW with Home Unit (not the cell service), for those interested:
I have four G cameras connecting to a Home unit. I simply cannot recommend the G camera setup because they go thru a tremendous number of batteries. According to my discussions with customer service, the J cameras use less batteries.
All of my cameras are on trails. I cannot imagine how many batteries I would go thru if they were on food plots or if it was winter. My first camera was dead when I checked at 28 days. Next two were dead when I checked at 35 days. The fourth camera and the home unit were dead when I checked at 39 days. Customer service says I need the external battery packs (5 units x 10 batteries = 50 batteries. My estimation is 50 batteries will last about 10 weeks). This is not realistic or reasonable. Their other recommendation is to get the solar panels, which are not available.
Before I purchased the setup, I asked customer service how long, on average, the 4 batteries would last per camera. I was told 2.5 - 3 months. Under this impression, I would've used 60 batteries (5 units * 4 batteries) * 3 for 7.5 months. But I'll instead be using approx. 140 batteries (5 units * 4 batteries) * 7 months. There is potential to use many more when cold weather comes and if I switch some of them to food plots.
Because of this, the solar panels should come with each unit. And the price of the solar panel could be added onto the cost of unit. Then customers would know the true cost of the system.
CONCLUSION: plan to buy a solar panel with each unit you purchase.

Overall Cuddelink REVIEW with Home Unit (not the cell service), for those interested:
I have four G cameras connecting to a Home unit. I simply cannot recommend the G camera setup because they go thru a tremendous number of batteries. According to my discussions with customer service, the J cameras use less batteries.
All of my cameras are on trails. I cannot imagine how many batteries I would go thru if they were on food plots or if it was winter. My first camera was dead when I checked at 28 days. Next two were dead when I checked at 35 days. The fourth camera and the home unit were dead when I checked at 39 days. Customer service says I need the external battery packs (5 units x 10 batteries = 50 batteries. My estimation is 50 batteries will last about 10 weeks). This is not realistic or reasonable. Their other recommendation is to get the solar panels, which are not available.
Before I purchased the setup, I asked customer service how long, on average, the 4 batteries would last per camera. I was told 2.5 - 3 months. Under this impression, I would've used 60 batteries (5 units * 4 batteries) * 3 for 7.5 months. But I'll instead be using approx. 140 batteries (5 units * 4 batteries) * 7 months. There is potential to use many more when cold weather comes and if I switch some of them to food plots.
Because of this, the solar panels should come with each unit. And the price of the solar panel could be added onto the cost of unit. Then customers would know the true cost of the system.
Your results do not seem typical from my experience especially with the low volume of pics you are getting. What brand and model batteries are you using ? i have had 6 month battery life using the booster(10 total batteries) and i get a very high volume of pictures. I use and recommend rayovac D cells. They consistently out perform other brands in our testing.
When using just 4 in the camera i have had several remote units easily surpass 75 days by tracking it on my report once i insert brand new batteries in the camera. I always recommend using the booster on the cell units since that unit is working hard. Solar units are a good option for some, i have exceeded a year on year the J series. D cell batteries remain the most cost effective in regards to battery life and cost on any of our cameras.
All that said, we are constantly working towards more and better power management ideas and accessories and i'm sure we will launch more options in the near future.
Including a solar unit with each camera would raise the retail cost dramatically and since cost is often times a driving factor its not something we can do and expect positive results. We constantly are adjusting to fit both consumer and retail demands for our partners. Although it seems easy to just include a solar with every camera its not effective from a sales and market share standpoint.

Thanks for your response.
I am using Duracell D's. Over many years of using trail cameras, they have consistently lasted the longest. But I'm all for trying Rayovac as you recommend. Which are better: Rayovac or Rayovac Pro-Pack?
I purchased two external battery packs and I will add these the next time the two heaviest worked units go dead.

How do you know how good of cell service I will have with the home cell unit, I have At &T Cell phone service and it is poor where I'm at but I was told Verizon is better. Does the camera show how much cell signal you have?

Thanks for your response.
I am using Duracell D's. Over many years of using trail cameras, they have consistently lasted the longest. But I'm all for trying Rayovac as you recommend. Which are better: Rayovac or Rayovac Pro-Pack?
I purchased two external battery packs and I will add these the next time the two heaviest worked units go dead.
either one will work

How do you know how good of cell service I will have with the home cell unit, I have At &T Cell phone service and it is poor where I'm at but I was told Verizon is better. Does the camera show how much cell signal you have?
you can run test email on site.it doesnt give a signal strength, basically if you can surf the net or download an email with images form hat spot you should be ok, they also added text feature to the home cell but typically if you can receive images via text emails are no problem as well. I would try to ask someone in the immediate area that uses verizon if they have good service. the signal at the location in which you hang the cell home can vary so its best to try a verixzon phone in the exact spot.

I have

I am currently running (8) G cameras with booster packs and they are attached to a home unit. Up until about three weeks ago, camera 1 was acting as the home camera, and then I installed the home unit and set camera 1 to a remote camera. As you can see from the table, the external battery boosters are all reporting low now (between 124 and 146 days) in the field. Camera 8 now says Ok and has switched over to the (4) internal batteries. These are all set on trails and I average around 50 images a week per camera. (Its been a little slower lately with the extreme heat we have been having)

I change the external batteries in three of he cameras last week, but the other 5 I am going to let run on the internal batteries. I am hoping to get 75 days on the internal batteries on the remaining (5) cameras. Our bow season starts in about two weeks, so if the internals can last until the end of November I will be ready to take them down anyway. If the internals start showing up as low on any of the remaining cameras earlier than that I will replace them the next time I go into that stand to sit. It looks like in my instance, If I wait and put my cameras out in the middle of May I can go through November with 10 batteries per camera. (6 in the booster pack and 4 internal). If that's the case I am satisfied with battery performance. I use Duracell ProCell "D" batteries.

John....A couple of questions.....Does the report also state when the internals go to a low state like it did for the external source? Also, approximately how long can a camera run once it goes to a low state before the camera stops working assuming 50 pictures per week? is there any risk in running the internals down to a low state or should I just replace the batteries n the booster pack now?
1536876810403.png

John....A couple of questions.....Does the report also state when the internals go to a low state like it did for the external source? Also, approximately how long can a camera run once it goes to a low state before the camera stops working assuming 50 pictures per week? is there any risk in running the internals down to a low state or should I just replace the batteries n the booster pack now?
View attachment 20517[/QUOTE]
it will show "low " when the 4 batteries get low internally. There is no risk, you can run them all the way dead if you want. Its variable on how long they will last when showing low so i hate to say an exact time period but i think it can be a week, sometimes 2 weeks. I've even had them go low and then go back to ok for a week or two. It depends on temps, pic count day or night pics etc, etc.
also there is a firmware update for your units, 7.3 is the latest.. not a necessity, but i would update when its convenient for you

Last edited:
View attachment 20517
it will show "low " when the 4 batteries get low internally. There is no risk, you can run them all the way dead if you want. Its variable on how long they will last when showing low so i hate to say an exact time period but i think it can be a week, sometimes 2 weeks. I've even had them go low and then go back to ok for a week or two. It depends on temps, pic count day or night pics etc, etc.
also there is a firmware update for your units, 7.3 is the latest.. not a necessity, but i would update when its convenient for you[/QUOTE]

Thanks John....I have noticed some of my cameras have also gone from low back to ok a few times....As far as the software update I was hoping to do that after I bring the cameras in from the field at the end of November. Would that be IK or should I do it before then. I'm a little nervous about interrupting a running system 2 weeks before bow season starts, but if you thin its a good idea I can do it this weekend.

also there is a firmware update for your units, 7.3 is the latest.. not a necessity, but i would update when its convenient for you

Thanks John....I have noticed some of my cameras have also gone from low back to ok a few times....As far as the software update I was hoping to do that after I bring the cameras in from the field at the end of November. Would that be IK or should I do it before then. I'm a little nervous about interrupting a running system 2 weeks before bow season starts, but if you thin its a good idea I can do it this weekend.[/QUOTE]
You can definitely wait to do the update.

My infrared J model just went to battery low after 35 days and 267 total pictures. Seems pretty bad. I still love the convenience but hopefully this was a fluke.

Anyone know the barrel plug size that fits into the j series camera?

John any recommendations for the following? I have a cell home. I have 5 J series IR. 3 of them will be on mineral sites, one will be on a trail, and one will be around some popular oaks. Struggling with how to set the delays

Also, anyone still looking for a cell home, Scheels in Springfiled, IL had 6 on the shelf when I was there yesterday.

John any recommendations for the following? I have a cell home. I have 5 J series IR. 3 of them will be on mineral sites, one will be on a trail, and one will be around some popular oaks. Struggling with how to set the delays
i would set your mineral delay to at least 30 seconds or longer, you can keep your cl delay to 5 seconds. Trail cam i would put at 5 second camera delay and 5 second CL delay. The oaks the same as the trail or longer if you feel it will get a large amount of pics.

My infrared J model just went to battery low after 35 days and 267 total pictures. Seems pretty bad. I still love the convenience but hopefully this was a fluke.
as I've done in the past in this thread, i cant stress enough that if you want extended battery life with any component of this system , everyone should look at one of the multiple battery accessory options available. On the J series, with standard alkaline aa's depending on multiple factors you will most likely get 60-75 days at most.
Solar can get you a year or more on the j's, 6 d cell pack on j's can double the life. Lithium can add some life as well but in my opinion not worth the extra cost. Solar kit is the most economical and will pay for itself. There will be other options available when after are developed and tested.
These units are doing much more than just taking a pic and storing it, it takes juice to send these images via rf so its important to keep that in mind. If you disarm CL mode and run them like any other conventional scouting camera your battery life will match or exceed the other brands.

John, trying to set up the cell base. What about batch rate, time delay?

John, trying to set up the cell base. What about batch rate, time delay?
Batch rate I go with 20 or 30 unless you get very few pics , you will get at least one email per day when the report is run regardless if there is enough to trigger the batch rate.

Batch rate I go with 20 or 30 unless you get very few pics , you will get at least one email per day when the report is run regardless if there is enough to trigger the batch rate.

What is the best setting for battery consumption. I'm 6 hours from my farm, and am worried about that, more than anything.