Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I like the rayovac , in our testing they did the best but any of the top brands should perform well, just stay away from “heavy duty “ and go with the alkaline, if you look you can find them for under $1 each in bulk.

I like the rayovac , in our testing they did the best but any of the top brands should perform well, just stay away from “heavy duty “ and go with the alkaline, if you look you can find them for under $1 each in bulk.
Rayovac High energy?

eBay has great deals on batteries. I just bought 105 Rayovac High Energy D cell for $66.00 with free shipping! They expire in 2026. The seller is batteries135669 if anyone is interested.

Here's a little cheap and easy way to lock a nested C or G model camera to the Cuddepower battery unit that will help keep honest people honest.

The Cuddepower padlocks via a lock clip to a Genius mount and a C or G model camera nests into the power unit and is retained by a spring loaded clip that holds onto the head of the bottom screw on the back of the camera. This retaining clip is released by depressing the button at the bottom of the power unit and the camera slides up and out of the dovetail mount. Unfortunately, this leaves the camera unlocked and totally vulnerable when it's nested in the Cuddepower.

A simple camera security hack is to take a 1/4" X 4" I-bolt (5/16" should also work) and bend it in an "L" shape as shown. Then slide it into the slot under the release button and pass your padlock through the "eye". The camera release button is now jammed and the camera is relatively secure. It won't stop a dedicated thief but it's better than nothing.

WP_20180820_007.jpgWP_20180820_008.jpg

Do you prefer the 4-pack in black flash or IR? What's the difference in the J and G series? Are the cellular home devices in stock anywhere? Thank you.

Just got a 4 pack of j-1422 model cameras. Can an external battery be plugged into the solar charger plug, and if so, what is the plug size?

So with a fairly new system like this, I’m really surprised with the choice to use D cell batteries. I know I saw some discussion earlier in the thread of the benefits of D vs AA, but I can’t seem to find that discussion with as big as this thread has gotten.

I would think a smaller, more power dense cell like an 18650 would have been a better choice. Good power density, high numbers of recharge cycles, low overall cost compared to replacement batteries...

I am really intrigued with this system, but hunt exclusively public land. I don’t know if I am comfortable yet putting higher priced cameras in the woods. The ability to check all cameras on a property without disturbing sensitive areas could be a GAME CHANGER though. This is definitely a pretty stinking cool product line y’all have here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way I (me, myself, personally) would put cameras on public hunting land. Not only is there a risk of them getting stolen, it also allows someone to use your hard work to their advantage. Just seeing a camera means that there is a spot of interest, and if you go further and pull/import/replace the card they can see exactly what has been there.

There's no worse feeling than heading out one morning, expecting to hunt a spot, and finding that someone is there already (or at worst already took an animal in that spot that you have been stalking). Been there experienced that in Colorado on a 5 day elk tag and no cameras were involved. I have no interest in increasing the odds of that happening again.

There's no way I (me, myself, personally) would put cameras on public hunting land. Not only is there a risk of them getting stolen, it also allows someone to use your hard work to their advantage. Just seeing a camera means that there is a spot of interest, and if you go further and pull/import/replace the card they can see exactly what has been there.

There's no worse feeling than heading out one morning, expecting to hunt a spot, and finding that someone is there already (or at worst already took an animal in that spot that you have been stalking). Been there experienced that in Colorado on a 5 day elk tag and no cameras were involved. I have no interest in increasing the odds of that happening again.

Oh I definitely carry a card reader with me at all times. I can’t tell you the amount of intel I have gained from other people’s cameras. I don’t damage their equipment, or delete any of the pictures, so I don’t feel bad about utilizing the info they leave out for me.

I run some cheaper cameras on public land, but I go to great lengths to put them out of the way, way above reach, camouflaged, etc... just don’t think I could sleep at night for worrying about more expensive cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you prefer the 4-pack in black flash or IR? What's the difference in the J and G series? Are the cellular home devices in stock anywhere? Thank you.
I myself prefer the IR's they have a less motion blur.
If they made these in a regular white flash I would want them.
They have a sharper crisper night picture.
This is my opinion.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4-pack of J model black flash. They all will be on mineral sites, so pretty captive audience at close range. I'm also wanting a cell home, when I can find one. How is the battery life? A couple of my mineral sites will easily get 12-1500 pics per week.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4-pack of J model black flash. They all will be on mineral sites, so pretty captive audience at close range. I'm also wanting a cell home, when I can find one. How is the battery life? A couple of my mineral sites will easily get 12-1500 pics per week.
My J model IR's lasted 68 days with Duracell alkalines, in the low 40's. I adjusted the picture delay. This helped on battery life.

to maximize battery life, especially in situations where picture volume is high, add either the 6 D cell battery pack or the solar kit to the J cameras.

Hi John, thanks for all the valuable information about the Cuddelinks. I will be purchasing a cell cap for my Dual flash as soon as one becomes available and I am wondering how much cell reception is required for it to work. On one farm I get full bars on my phone as there is a Verizon tower on the farm. The other farm isn’t as good. On a scale with 4 bars being full strength, I usually get 1 or 2 bars of 4g. Is 1 bar out of 4 enough for it to work properly?

Hi John, thanks for all the valuable information about the Cuddelinks. I will be purchasing a cell cap for my Dual flash as soon as one becomes available and I am wondering how much cell reception is required for it to work. On one farm I get full bars on my phone as there is a Verizon tower on the farm. The other farm isn’t as good. On a scale with 4 bars being full strength, I usually get 1 or 2 bars of 4g. Is 1 bar out of 4 enough for it to work properly?
i hate to go by "bars" and be incorrect . I think a better test would be can you send and receive emails form a particular spot on the property where you wan to set the cell home? if so you should be ok, also if you can surf the net and images show up on your phone that is another good test.
Also i wouldnt wait on buying a cell cap, i would tell you to buy a cell home instead, it will be the same or less money and you will get one much sooner. IF your dual flash doesn't already have a cuddelink cap on it you can buy one of those and add it into your network.

i hate to go by "bars" and be incorrect . I think a better test would be can you send and receive emails form a particular spot on the property where you wan to set the cell home? if so you should be ok, also if you can surf the net and images show up on your phone that is another good test.
Also i wouldnt wait on buying a cell cap, i would tell you to buy a cell home instead, it will be the same or less money and you will get one much sooner. IF your dual flash doesn't already have a cuddelink cap on it you can buy one of those and add it into your network.

Got it. That all makes sense. Thanks.

One more question. I want to place a remote camera on the bottom of a hill and the home camera on top of the hill. This is a pretty steep hill in Buffalo County. The cameras would be in sight of each other but about 90 yards almost straight down and just out a little. Will the signal reach the top of the hill to the home camera?

Got it. That all makes sense. Thanks.

One more question. I want to place a remote camera on the bottom of a hill and the home camera on top of the hill. This is a pretty steep hill in Buffalo County. The cameras would be in sight of each other but about 90 yards almost straight down and just out a little. Will the signal reach the top of the hill to the home camera?
this should easily work, i have a lease in buffalo myself, i placed my cell home on top of the bluff in a treestand in one of the only places i get cell coverage on the entire property, i have remote cams on the bottom several hundred yards away thru mature hardwoods that were recently partially logged and the tops are laying everywhere and the home is able to receive images without issue even in the summer. Ryans sport shop in Durand(on the border of buffalo cty) is a Cuddeback dealer and he has a lot of experience setting up systems in that area for himself and others.. If your in Durand stop and ask to him about Cuddelink, he has dealt with almost every type of scenario in that area.

Ah, that’s music to my ears. Thanks so much for sharing your insight and experience.

I just put new D batteries in my cuddeback and I am getting a "battery dead" message. None of the commands work. I put a different set of 4 batteries in and still "Battery dead" message.....I took the batteries out of the camera and still "battery dead" message. What should I do to fix ??