All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I have 34 cuddelinks about half j-series half g-series along with one k, 6 regular homes used as homes or repeaters and 2 cell-homes so I am pretty familiar with set-up and troubleshooting. I have a j-series that I am not able to get linked to any system, I have tried 3 different systems and channels, tried 3 different sd cards and cleared them once in the camera, reset the camera settings, reinstalled firmware, taken the d battery pack completely off of the camera twice and emptied it out and made sure the camera didn’t have any residual power in by pressing the buttons til it went blank, tried different antennas, tried making it a home and also a repeater and have taken the back off the camera off to look internally at the antenna to see if anything appeared off and it appeared normal.

Nothing has worked so wondering if I am missing something simple and someone has ran into this issue and fixed themselves before contacting cuddeback customer service?
Send it back

Been getting pics sent. Probably will change my settings to something a little less often the next time I get there. T_00007.JPGT_00010.JPG

I'm going out next weekend to do a full batter swap on my system, a cellular transmitter and 6 J cameras. One of the cameras is dead, the others are all still reporting OK, the cellular is still on the external pack. I'll leave the internals on the cellular alone but replace the externals, and all batteries on the J cameras, to get me through the season. Currently over 100 days on most of the cameras.

Are there any particular issues I need to be aware of in doing this to make sure everything keeps working? Not likely I would get back to the property before hunting season to fix anything. For instance, in replacing the externals on the cellular, any specific steps I need to take to make sure the external is still recognized?

I'm going out next weekend to do a full batter swap on my system, a cellular transmitter and 6 J cameras. One of the cameras is dead, the others are all still reporting OK, the cellular is still on the external pack. I'll leave the internals on the cellular alone but replace the externals, and all batteries on the J cameras, to get me through the season. Currently over 100 days on most of the cameras.

Are there any particular issues I need to be aware of in doing this to make sure everything keeps working? Not likely I would get back to the property before hunting season to fix anything. For instance, in replacing the externals on the cellular, any specific steps I need to take to make sure the external is still recognized?
if you are leaving your internals in , you should just need to unhook the booster replace batteries and plug it back in. Settings typically dont change at all when swapping batteries the J's but its not a bad idea to run thru them before arming again.

Don’t rely on signal while holding camera. Literally, inches will make a difference in signal. Hang it on tree and let signal level refresh(blink) 3-6 times. Setting them in a winding low creek bottom is sometimes problematic. As you turn you are putting a rise or hill between cameras.

I have learned to quit fighting signal searching and just waste one camera as a repeater. I’m using one in between just for signal but still have camera on. I have it set to send Time Lapse 24hr, just to tell me it’s still on.

Also, I highly recommend you learn how to look at the exit data on each picture. It will tell you a lot. It will show more about battery condition than just the report.

I’ve tried the solar and rechargeable batteries route. It’s not for me. 100+ days on Alkaline’s with external pack is simple and easy.

I’m not sure about how cameras signal latch to which camera, but I do know as I’ve moved cameras it went from linked to home camera to 2 or 3 links. I assume it’s gonna go thru highest signal.

I did some google searching on exit data and that is amazing that you can pull the code like that off of pictures. I had no idea!
I am not an expert on reading code but here is what I have from one picture.

MR=C.1,AD=8/25/2019,LD=13,BT=14,RD=3,LH=0,LI=34,BL=9005,BP=99%,BS=Int,BD=13,BI=88,CF=Enabled,EX=Centered,ID=LARRY BIRD,LO=006,SM=EZ,DD=5sec,DI=1,DV=OFF,DL=OFF,ND=5sec,NI=1,NV=OFF,NL=OFF

This is one of the most recent pictures I have from when I did a card pull a few days ago. I have not looked yet to see if I can pull this same style of code or "exit data" off of my emailed pictures. The picture was taken on Septermber 6 at 7:19PM

We lost this camera off of this mornings report email so I am hoping that 99% is not saying the batteries where at 99% back on september 6th because that would probably mean something else went wrong with this camera. It was running off a 6 D cell batteries that are 2.5 weeks old. Maybe 500 or so pictures. We do have a fair amount of coons around and I know I have seen a few guys have had issues with them chewing on the antennas. Either way we do not want to step back onto the farm again until mid October so we might just have to let this camera go until then. The rest of our system seems to be doing really well. There is some learning curve with these cameras but this is exciting stuff. I cant wait to see what cuddeback does with this system in the coming years.

Last edited:
I did some google searching on exit data and that is amazing that you can pull the code like that off of pictures. I had no idea!
I am not an expert on reading code but here is what I have from one picture.

MR=C.1,AD=8/25/2019,LD=13,BT=14,RD=3,LH=0,LI=34,BL=9005,BP=99%,BS=Int,BD=13,BI=88,CF=Enabled,EX=Centered,ID=LARRY BIRD,LO=006,SM=EZ,DD=5sec,DI=1,DV=OFF,DL=OFF,ND=5sec,NI=1,NV=OFF,NL=OFF

This is one of the most recent pictures I have from when I did a card pull a few days ago. I have not looked yet to see if I can pull this same style of code or Y"exit data" off of my emailed pictures. The picture was taken on Septermber 6 at 7:19PM

We lost this camera off of this mornings report email so I am hoping that 99% is not saying the batteries where at 99% back on september 6th because that would probably mean something else went wrong with this camera. It was running off a 6 D cell batteries that are 2.5 weeks old. Maybe 500 or so pictures. We do have a fair amount of coons around and I know I have seen a few guys have had issues with them chewing on the antennas. Either way we do not want to step back onto the farm again until mid October so we might just have to let this camera go until then. The rest of our system seems to be doing really well. There is some learning curve with these cameras but this is exciting stuff. I cant wait to see what cuddeback does with this system in the coming years.

Yes, the same data can be found on each thumbnail photo that is emailed to you.

BP=99% does indeed mean that your batteries at that point in time were in great shape. BL=9005 is the reading in mV of the battery pack at that point in time... 9.0 volts. My guess would be that camera 006 went down due to lack of sufficient signal. Back on 9/6 both camera 005 & camera 006 switched from 1 to 2 links... possibly going through camera 008?, and when camera 008 went down on 9/7 they both reverted to a direct connection with home. Maybe camera 006 just couldn't maintain and good connection to home and had no good alternative routes? If there was unusually high humidity or some other atmospheric change yesterday perhaps it will re-establish communications and come back up when conditions are more favorable. Your daily reports from 9/8 and 9/9 would fill in the gap and might enlighten us some.

A repeater at a strategically located high point on the property may make all the difference in the world... $100 well spent if so.

Last edited:
Also from the emailed report, I can get the exif data. Here is from 2 of the cams.

MR=C.1,AD=1/16/2018,LD=383,BT=20,RD=319,LH=0,LI=5171,BL=8049,BP=75%,BS=Int,BD=43,BI=1343,CF=Enabled,EX=Centered,ID=4___,LO=004,SM=EZ,DD=1min,DI=1,DV=OFF,DL=OFF,ND=1min,NI=1,NV=OFF,NL=OFF

MR=C.1,AD=1/16/2018,LD=275,BT=17,RD=190,LH=0,LI=2143,BL=7587,BP=50%,BS=Int,BD=43,BI=1472,CF=Enabled,EX=Centered,ID=3______,LO=003,SM=EZ,DD=1min,DI=1,DV=OFF,DL=OFF,ND=1min,NI=1,NV=OFF,NL=OFF

So I am guessing the 2nd one I should swap batteries soon?
Where would I find the exif data on the report?

Does anyone know what app is needed to view the exif data on an iPad. I know to right click and view properties on a windows operating system.

Does anyone know what app is needed to view the exif data on an iPad. I know to right click and view properties on a windows operating system.
An app called File Viewer is supposed to work on both iPad and Android. It is more than just an exif viewer, but on an Android it gives an exhaustive list of all the exif information on picture files... the most thorough of any I've tried by far. You might look into it for the iPad.

I moved some cams around and setup a K camera as a standalone. The 5 mp pics are definitely amazing. Going to add some more next year on some scrape sets for sure.

I moved some cams around and setup a K camera as a standalone. The 5 mp pics are definitely amazing. Going to add some more next year on some scrape sets for sure.
Even the 1 MP transmitted pics (medium setting in stand alone mode) are amazingly good! Zoomed to 200% with a good interpolating viewer they're nearly indistinguishable from the full rez 5 MP pics. And I get them in just a few minutes.

Where would I find the exif data on the report?

It is not in the report. IF you take one of the images and upload it to a exifdata viewer like this site. http://exifdata.com/ Then hit the detailed report then you get the information.

Ok. Got a question. If you have followed my posts I got a cell booster in my cabin that has now allowed me to get a cell camera on my network which is great. One thing I didn't check into is that the cell booster could put a bit of a drain on my small solar setup for my cabin. Did a little research and I can get put an inexpensive timer on the cell booster to turn it on and turn it off at certain times. Good that solves that issue. I know the report comes between 4-6AM so I can set for that time. If I set for 12 hours would the pics then get sent a about 4-6PM? I also can't remember if 24 hrs is an option for the batch to send? If it is does it just send at the 4-6AM time slot.

Long story short if I can reduce my usuage of the cell booster down to 4-6 hrs my solar setup will handle it no problem. Should be ok as is but if we get a lot of cloudy days in a row or get snow on the panel it could cause my 12V battery to get down lower than I want.

Has anyone setup up and external 12v battery with solar panel on the new cuddelink dual cell camera and willing to share their experience? From reading here, I have found that some have used a 12v to 9v converter for this camera but not the anything on the effectiveness/longevity of this setup turned out to be or what solar panels worked best. My camera is in Ohio so the Fall/winter days tend to be overcast alot. My cell camera is in the open field currently with just the cudde solar panel and D battery pack.

Thank you!!!
It is not in the report. IF you take one of the images and upload it to a exifdata viewer like this site. http://exifdata.com/ Then hit the detailed report then you get the information.

sorry if this was asked before but what size is the plug that goes in back of j cameras my understanding is it is 9v but need to know plug size

sorry if this was asked before but what size is the plug that goes in back of j cameras my understanding is it is 9v but need to know plug size
1.7mm ID,4.0mm OD

I'm going to share this 1 pic from a K cam stand-alone. No more until I kill him...hopefully .

1568101833586_T_00002.JPG

Something weird happened this morning on my reports. I have a network on channel 6 with 7 j and g cams and a stand alone dual cell on channel 3 that I pay for separate. These are all on the same 120 acres. Usually the dual cell is the only camera on channel 3s report well this morning it showed a j series camera on there. Could I be picking up a neighboring camera or is it one of mine not working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone setup up and external 12v battery with solar panel on the new cuddelink dual cell camera and willing to share their experience? From reading here, I have found that some have used a 12v to 9v converter for this camera but not the anything on the effectiveness/longevity of this setup turned out to be or what solar panels worked best. My camera is in Ohio so the Fall/winter days tend to be overcast alot. My cell camera is in the open field currently with just the cudde solar panel and D battery pack.
I have mine set up with 2 solar panels I bought at Harbor Freight. I think they were only 1.5 watt. I have 2 panels running to a 12v 7ah battery then out to a 12v to 9v convertor to the camera. Today is day 89 with it running like this and no low battery warning yet. I can snap a picture when I get home.