Craigslist - gotta be a scam?

John-W-WI

Administrator
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/grd/6043055458.html

I doubt the listing will last very long, so I took a screen capture:

Craiglist.JPG

There is no way they are actually selling that tractor for $3244.

What's the scam though? Do they try to get you to pay with a money order or something?

Just curious.

-John

Could be - I've heard there's a similar scam with jeeps and sports cars, usually with some sob story that goes with it.

They left a number off the price...

Typo, add a zero to the end.

You see a lot of these on CL. Not sure what the scam is. I wonder if they try to get the buyer to send a down payment to hold it or something?

You see a lot of these on CL. Not sure what the scam is. I wonder if they try to get the buyer to send a down payment to hold it or something?
This is the scam. Price so low they try to get people to act quickly without thinking it through.

they use your email when you reply for lists.. 100% lock to a live person email.

look for a funny 0 or and oO in the numbers. and it's ALWAYS reply to a GMAIL account.

its a scam, a buddy of mine looked into it, and its 100% a scam, no miss print

just another idiot trying to screw someone dumb enough to give them a back account number or other wise

stay away , and report it to craigslist
its being run in many states too

Guys doing cash deals need to beware also. Lots of "bad" money going around. Including this motion picture stuff that looks and feels pretty legit.
fake.jpg

These pop up once in a while but if you look at another area of the state on Craigslist it pops up there too. Usually a scam.

they use your email when you reply for lists.. 100% lock to a live person email.

look for a funny 0 or and oO in the numbers. and it's ALWAYS reply to a GMAIL account.

Also these scams typically have an off number on the price such as $3244...? Pictures are often from a different area or different season.

Everything has turned into a scam. I deal in cash - no electronic ANYTHING !!! I buy NOTHING, and do no business over the internet.

Scam. I always flag these when I see them and it deletes them. I don't know the reason why but the sale price is always a odd number and the email address is usually on the picture. You have to be careful selling things too. I have been contacted by a lot of scammers when I have had things for sale on CL. They want to send you a cashiers check, and tell you to cash it and pay the movers when they get there. The bank will cash the check. A few days later it will bounce. The day after its cashed they will send someone to pick up the item, you give them the cash from the rubber check and the item. Then their gone,now you have to cover the check to the bank and you lost your item. My neighbor was burned selling a bedroom set this way. I had a lot of fun messing with one these a-holes once. I told made up a huge story of where they could pick up the riding lawnmower to the point of my place being 5 miles back in the woods on a road that was full of landmines, guarded by tyrannosaur's rex's, and was controlled by a outlaw motorcycle gang. I told him that his driver would really have to be careful. They had no knowledge I was making this up and kept emailing me asking for my address. :emoji_scream:

I see the post has been removed. I saw that yesterday too and was like really?! Sometimes people get into situations where things need to move fast so you never truly know.

Do a google search on the pic - bet it's a stock photo from something else. Then you know they don't even have a tractor.

Hey - it was on the internet.....so you know it's legit!!!!

Even cash sales can go south- an old friend of mine had a contractor doing some drainage tile work on his place once, and the ditcher was just purchased from a guy about 100 miles away. Then one day the State Police show up with the guy from yet another state who was the real owner, who had his machine and trailer stolen from a job site. Not sure if this tiling contractor ever got his money back or not.