All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese Chestnuts

Boone

5 year old buck +
I have some 2-3' Chinese Chestnuts coming from Stark bros in a few weeks. I've never planted chestnuts. Do you plant them like apple trees and how long before they produce?

The actual planting is similar to other trees. Site selection is important. They don't like wet feet, so don't select a site where ground water can drain into the planting site. Seedlings can take quite a long time to produce. I have Dunstans around 5 years old that are just starting to produce a nut or two and many that have not produced anything by 6+ years. I bought some grafted Chinese chestnuts (Au Buck III and IV) from the wildlife group that were only one growing season old when I got them. They produced a few nuts the very next year while on my deck in RB2s.

Thanks,

Jack

I have 4 Chinese Chestnuts coming from Cold Stream Farms in a couple weeks also. They'll be our first C.C's. They'll be planted on a high field top in full sun. Hopefully they'll do OK there.

My Texas summers are harsh with high temps and little rain

My chestnut trees are on north and east facing slopes and seem healthy so far

I started them from seed 2 years ago and they are entering their third growing season

bill

The Chinese I have planted I screened and caged just like fruit trees. Deer and bunnies will eat the leaves and bark if they are not protected.
Some of mine started to produce at 4-5 years others planted at the same time seem to be taking their time. Like others have said they need to be planted in full sun and not in a low spot that will stay wet for long periods.

I just tubed and planted 50 of them. I don't have the experience others here have with them though. I can't speak to real life results, but I hope they start producing by 5 years and have a few bushels or more per tree by 10 years. They do best in full sun and soil that drains from what I've read and been advised.

I have Chinese Chestnuts 14 years old. They are flat putting out the nuts now. Production began at about 4-5 years old and its still getting better. One thing to keep in mind is the ultimate size of Chinese Chestnuts. They are bigger trees that most people realize when full grown. Mine still have a lot of growing to do.

You must protect them. Even in areas where they don't get browsed, they will get rubbed in the fall. Best wishes.

OclGstkh.jpg

IylPGMeh.jpg

gMaIWN8h.jpg

RCkxh9eh.jpg

I am sold on chestnuts. Will probably put in about a dozen next year. I'm impressed with everyone's success with them.

I have Chinese Chestnuts 14 years old. They are flat putting out the nuts now. Production began at about 4-5 years old and its still getting better. One thing to keep in mind is the ultimate size of Chinese Chestnuts. They are bigger trees that most people realize when full grown. Mine still have a lot of growing to do.

You must protect them. Even in areas where they don't get browsed, they will get rubbed in the fall. Best wishes.

OclGstkh.jpg

IylPGMeh.jpg

gMaIWN8h.jpg

RCkxh9eh.jpg
How do you typically go about protecting older, larger trees? Also, are rabbits and mice still a concern at that point?

How do you typically go about protecting older, larger trees? Also, are rabbits and mice still a concern at that point?

I've not had problems with rabbits and mine on chestnuts like I have had with apples. None of my older chestnut trees have screen wire, but that doesn't mean that everyone can get away with it. As for deer rubbing, think of the biggest tree you have ever seen a deer rub, and you will know that until your tree gets much bigger than that, it needs protection from rubbing.

I plan to leave my tubes on my chestnuts until they become restrictive. Even then, I may join two tubes to make a wider tube. For some reason, when I have tubes on trees, bucks so far don't rub them. Perhaps there is something about the plastic they don't like.

Thanks,

Jack

I forgot to mention one thing. I have had young chestnuts gnawed off below the ground line. Oaks too. But not much a guy can do about that.

I forgot to mention one thing. I have had young chestnuts gnawed off below the ground line. Oaks too. But not much a guy can do about that.

Yes, I've lost a few to voles myself.

What has worked for me is to use window screening to make a "pot" then, when planting, pull screening up to protect tree. that is a 5' cage20180419_142108.jpg

I've done the exact same thing with the stick to keep young trees straight. ^^^^^^^
I've probably got a half dozen 3' Chinese chestnuts like that right now.

What is the best to use in order to keep these trees from blowing around? Also do you guys take all the dry leaves off when planting?

Attachments

• 20180426_164237.jpg
    20180426_164237.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 25
I use a cage about what Davewp did after I take tube off and they don't rub

I planted 11 Dunstan chestnuts last October. They were purchased as 7-gallon trees and were up-potted to 10 gallon root makers where they remained another 3 months. At the time, I didn't know exactly when I'd be able to get them in the ground and wanted to avoid or reduce any circling.

I caged all 11 and planted them with weed mats in early October. I'll get some pictures in a few weeks to show progress. Pictured in rootmaker pots (July), at planting (October) and winter (December). Notice the bent cage in December, likely a curious bear.

Also notable, these trees retail for $39 in 7-gallon (3-year old) pots. They were purchased at Walmart for $11 in June. If your store has inventory by early summer they will generally be discounted.

IMG_1660.jpgIMG_2151 2.JPGIMG_3549.JPG

Last edited:
I see on ChestnutHills site that they are delivering Dunstans to stores in my area this week. I'm going to keep an eye on them to go on sale, always room for more.