All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catscratch House and Habitat build

It depends. Sometimes up to 350 summer stockers in addition to 70+ cow/calf pairs. Sometimes a 130 stockers in addition to 35 cow/calf pairs. Market, buyers, owners, availability, feed prices, etc. A lot of things can factor in when a guy gets ready to sign a check. I actually am not as involved as I had been and personally only have a few cows left. A neighbor up the road is running most of the cows this yr. It's working really well.

How do you work that deal - do you lease the land / profit share .... ?? Non-AG guy here. Just wondering.

I like that tree as a post in your lower level. That's just a great touch!! Big timber is never out of style.

How do you work that deal - do you lease the land / profit share .... ?? Non-AG guy here. Just wondering.

I like that tree as a post in your lower level. That's just a great touch!! Big timber is never out of style.
Thanks on the tree, I really like it down there!

Depending on the situation... if you trust the guy leasing it you can just do it per acre. But, if you don't trust the guy you can do it other ways so that the leasee doesn't put way too many head on a pasture and destroy the grass. So like any contract you can write it anyway you want. Often it's either per acre, or per head per day.

The same with summer stockers... We usually went with gains. That means that you get paid per pound of gain. Lets say you sign a contract with the steer's owners that he'll pay you 50 cents per pound of gain. If he delivers 300 steers and leaves them for 90 days, and you manage 2lbs per day gains then those steers will have gained a total of 54,000 pounds which yields $27,000. It's a contract so market prices don't affect YOUR money made. The risk for the landowner is dead loss, drought (low protein grass), vet bills, and feed bills if your pasture can't handle the workload, etc. You have to have good enough pasture and be good enough at husbandry to get gains without spending much money.

Another way to do stockers is to contract for time (usually 90 days) but without gains listed. You simply let someone drop off their steers, keep them healthy, then return them for a set price.

And another way is to buy the steers yourself and sell them at the end of the season. Way more profit to be made this way but way more risk involved to the landowner.

AND... just to throw more out there to ya a smaller freshly weined 300lb calf is more expensive per pound than a larger 600lb calf. The 300lb calf might sell for $1.65/lb and the 600lb calf might sell for $1.25/lb. But you can run a lot more 300lb calves per acre than you can the larger ones. A person could think about this stuff a lot. Glad it's not my dayjob!

Oooooohhhhhh. Can you talk us through an AUM? 😍 What if your lease is structured that way?

Oooooohhhhhh. Can you talk us through an AUM? 😍 What if your lease is structured that way?
Nope, nope, nope. Way too much calculator work for that. Just have to know about how many your pasture can handle.

Great thread/tour so far Catscratch. In my opinion you're definitely the Dos Equis guy of the forum.
Thanks, but you must have me confused with sd or foggy. My "cool" game left years ago!

Had a cat in the yard this evening. I absolutely love to watch these things. Curious, sneaky, playful, silent... quite the critters!
Screenshot_20230908_191616_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230908_191627_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230908_191823_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230908_191841_Gallery.jpg

Yeah, that’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No habitat, but solid life today. It was full of live music, smoked food, 3 on 3 tournaments, and rodeos. I absolutely love living in nowhere KS!
Screenshot_20230909_170927_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_170914_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_171056_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_183645_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_171103_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_165349_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_165413_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909_165459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_165459_Gallery.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230909_165434_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_165434_Gallery.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 7
My CC team put on a fun run and sold raffle tickets as fundraisers. Raffling a custom cowboy gunslinger belt and a Ruger Wrangler. A good way to help kids earn the their keep, or feel responsible for something. They did great all day.
Screenshot_20230909_183720_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_171026_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_171036_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_170318_Gallery.jpg

3-on-3's ................ you have basketball in Kansas??!!!!!!!
I pictured you and Cat getting together for the first time, cracking open a beer, and asking him that. Great conversation starter! It made me lol

Ha! No basketball in KS!?! Tell little cat that. I think he plays in his sleep. Serious, he fell asleep after a dove hunt the other day and I swear his hand hanging off the couch was dribbling a ball.

Disclaimer - not a 10' goal.
Screenshot_20230911_180509_Gallery.jpg

Ha! No basketball in KS!?! Tell little cat that. I think he plays in his sleep. Serious, he fell asleep after a dove hunt the other day and I swear his hand hanging off the couch was dribbling a ball.

Disclaimer - not a 10' goal.
View attachment 57169

Glad for the disclaimer! I thought that was Mac McClung for a sec!

Glad for the disclaimer! I thought that was Mac McClung for a sec!

Holy moly! I had to look up his vertical cause I knew he's short... 43.5in! Little cat would kill for that kind of explosiveness.

Is that WGF sorghum in your plot?

I pulled down my asparagus fence and put up a cam to start the taste test on my sorghum test plot. I hope they leave the asparagus there.

It's just a bag of milo seed front the local CO-OP. I'm interested in the stuff you're planting though. Some of those high sugar varieties sound pretty neat. Keep us updated on what they do with it. I doubt they touch your asparagus.