Catscratch House and Habitat build

Tillage?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the fence full of rocks for, besides hanging coyotes?

What's the fence full of rocks for, besides hanging coyotes?
It's a corner post for a barbed wire fence. It's a use for rocks when clearing fields, cheaper than metal, and you don't have to dig a hole in pure rock to place them. I've built a few.
Also quite a lot of stone posts around. At one time there wasn't much wood around here.
Screenshot_20240324_172153_Gallery.jpg

It's a corner post for a barbed wire fence. It's a use for rocks when clearing fields, cheaper than metal, and you don't have to dig a hole in pure rock to place them. I've built a few.
Also quite a lot of stone posts around. At one time there wasn't much wood around here.
Interesting. I've never seen gabion rock setups used for corner posts. Neat idea!

When you are on shallow soils with a big limestone ledge or otherwise can’t dig a post hole they work great. The added bonus is they obviously won’t burn off when doing spring burns. I’ve seen many a fence ruined when a small fire got in a post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 63351
It's just a fence post??? Would have been more interesting if it was a altar for satanic sacrifices to the Jayhawks whitetail gods.

It's just a fence post??? Would have been more interesting if it was a altar for satanic sacrifices to the Jayhawks whitetail gods.
Lol, it's just a fence post. Although... it's very common to hang yotes and flathead heads from them to let others know how godly you are at hunting and fishing. Maybe the Jayhawks basketball team could have used some sacrifices to up their game this year.

Here's some more KS stone work. The big building with the huge stone is dated back to the late 1800's. Some Russian and German builders were in the area at the time. Imagine quarrying, cutting, transporting, and laying those stones without engines or electricity!

Don't know about the smaller "rooms" built into the bluff. They appear older to me but I don't know that.
Screenshot_20240325_191811_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191702_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191732_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191742_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191751_Gallery.jpg

Don't think I ever documented the dock build. Pics speak for themselves.
Screenshot_20240325_191850_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191924_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_191907_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_192002_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_192019_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_192700_Gallery.jpg

Some of the aquatic habitat I've put in. Alternate brushy with loggy to keep forage fish near big fish at all times.
Screenshot_20240325_192521_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240325_192525_Gallery.jpg

Last post tonight, I promise.
Little Cat finished his season with individual All State honors (as well as League and Sub-State tournament champions)! Fun stuff!
20240325_090118.jpgFB_IMG_1711326667513.jpgFB_IMG_1711326665241.jpgFB_IMG_1711326660593.jpg

We went from 70's and beautiful for a month to snow yesterday morning and low 20's last night. Wonder if it'll affect this year's fruit?

Screenshot_20240327_082803_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240327_082650_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240327_074412_One UI Home.jpg

That stone work is impressive. Is that on your property?

That first picture looks like the walls are still in great shape. That would be a great foundation for the world's strongest deer blind.

That stone work is impressive. Is that on your property?

That first picture looks like the walls are still in great shape. That would be a great foundation for the world's strongest deer blind.
It is on the property. Cool as hell!
I've strongly considered a rebuild on it including a new roof, but funds and time have kept me from doing it. It would be a cool deer blind. I have hunted from it from time to time.

Throw and mow….give me seed to soil contact. We are talking a couple acres of food plots, not 100 acre field.

Glad my pears don't look like that! It hit 19 last night here, so anything that flowered is hosed. Luckily, not a lot of flowering, but I'd guess still a freeze left this year as it's still early. We've been cutting asparagus already instead of it getting frozen off. Crazy early for that!

Glad my pears don't look like that! It hit 19 last night here, so anything that flowered is hosed. Luckily, not a lot of flowering, but I'd guess still a freeze left this year as it's still early. We've been cutting asparagus already instead of it getting frozen off. Crazy early for that!
I've got a bag of asparagus in the fridge as we speak.

I and the youngest daughter like mushrooms. I have never hunted for them. One of these years I suppose I should give it a try.

I and the youngest daughter like mushrooms. I have never hunted for them. One of these years I suppose I should give it a try.
Ever had morels? They aren't like other mushrooms! I think hunting for them is one of the best family things a guy can do.