Catscratch House and Habitat build

Pencil-necked yearling made that rub, huh??? 😲

Nice sheds in those pics too.

The concrete tubes are awesome. Jealous!

Pencil-necked yearling made that rub, huh??? 😲

Nice sheds in those pics too.
Not a lot of rubbing on it, but hell of big tree for a rub! Of course it had to be a pencil-necked yearly, that's all we have here! :)

Not a lot of rubbing on it, but hell of big tree for a rub! Of course it had to be a pencil-necked yearly, that's all we have here! :)
Maybe a 200+ lb. pencil-necker!! That's a big tree for a teeny-bopper to be gouging. Great sign.

I've said this before but burning scares the hell out of me. I'm pretty good at it and have never had a fire get away from me but I've sure had some hairy moments. With that said I also love to burn. Something about standing there watching it creep, listening to the crackle, and knowing what it will look like during green-up is just appealing/relaxing.

Why can't you burn SD? Laws and rules prevent it? I think it should be mandatory in most places just to reduce fuel loads and prevent out of control fires. But most of what I think isn't agreed upon by the people who make the rules.
I almost set the chippewa national forest ablaze three times last season alone. One of those three times I had the fire dept out.

I'd still like to try some burning for mushroom production around the cabin, but I've got work to do to make that safe. I need to make a good perimeter around my target area, and that's gonna require some skid steer, chainsaw, and mower work.

For several years this pond's overflow has been cut out and the ravine was inching itself towards the damn. Would be catastrophic if were to make it to the damn. There had been some efforts to fill it in but some people just don't understand the power of moving water and shit just got washed away.

Screenshot_20240219_110417_Gallery.jpg

Water flows from right to left, you can see the ravine to the left. I went in with a skid steer, widened the channel to slow the water down, put a turn in it, and left it "almost flat" to run out in a different spot. I did this some time ago and waited a couple of years for our drought to break. Recently had a runoff rain that didn't wash anything out! I'm pretty happy about that!
Screenshot_20240219_110404_Gallery.jpg

The pond. Always good for a big bass or two and a nice crappie. Never catch a lot out of her but they're usually nice ones. A little maintenance can sure go a long ways in keeping away from a big problem.
Screenshot_20240219_110448_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really nice looking pond. Does that erosion slowly creep back every year or does it only happen when you have a massive rainfall event?

I've seen large rip rap rock work pretty well to prevent a washout from growing quite as fast, but that gets extremely expensive with large areas like that.

That's a really nice looking pond. Does that erosion slowly creep back every year or does it only happen when you have a massive rainfall event?

I've seen large rip rap rock work pretty well to prevent a washout from growing quite as fast, but that gets extremely expensive with large areas like that.

No flow going into the pond unless it rains, so there isn't a constant erosion situation. But, once the pond is full then it will flow at the smallest rain. This pond was getting ready to be in major trouble and still might be if my patch doesn't hold.

No flow going into the pond unless it rains, so there isn't a constant erosion situation. But, once the pond is full then it will flow at the smallest rain. This pond was getting ready to be in major trouble and still might be if my patch doesn't hold.
Here's hoping, Cat. Great looking pond.

White perch.......the filet mignon of fresh water fish

bill

White perch.......the filet mignon of fresh water fish

bill

Interesting you call them "white perch" as we actually have a fish called the white perch but it's a completely different critter than a crappie. They are certainly good eating!

Interesting you call them "white perch" as we actually have a fish called the white perch but it's a completely different critter than a crappie. They are certainly good eating!
And KDWP considers them invasive I think.

And KDWP considers them invasive I think.
They are invasive. I believe it's required that fishermen kill each one they catch.

How long do they have to be around before they are native? They were around before me so I guess I'm invasive.

How long do they have to be around before they are native? They were around before me so I guess I'm invasive.
Oh man, I'm not sure on the definitions but I'm pretty sure I'm invasive too. Maybe naturalized? Or maybe they are invasive where I'm at but not where you are at. Are we still talking about fish or have we moved to immigration?

its an east texas thing

bill