All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Callery Pear topworked to Hunter's Choice (one year ago)

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
There was a thread a while back about topworking Callery Pear. I took a picture of this one that I topworked last year, so you are looking at one year of growth from a 6 inch scion.

If you zoom in and look right at the bottom of the ribbon you will see a little swelled place in the trunk. This is my graft union. As you can see I did it high. I did one more last year and changed it to a Kieffer. It looks about the same as this one.

Yes, I can see that I have a double central leader on this one that grew above the graft. I could cut it back to one, and I may decide to do that. Really though, I'm not that concerned with it.

ZQCuJ3Sh.jpg

Wow, how old were the Callery roots?

Wow, how old were the Callery roots?

I don't remember for sure. It was one that popped up in one of my rows of trees, and I just kept letting it grow and thinking eventually I would do something with it. I'd say at the ground the tree is probably 2 inches in diameter. I think that is a pretty good size to topwork.

Good job. I tried a few pears two years ago and none worked. I think my scions were bad. I have done a ton of apples with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My cousin and I top-worked a couple dozen callery pears that were growing wild all over the property. We used a bunch of scions from GRIN and some others I got off trees on our land. Success rate was probably 80-90% and growth ranged from six inches to four feet after first year.

Thats some quick growth Native, nice work!