Whats up with the leaves on my pear treess?

crappieman2380

Yearling... With promise
Was out caging a few American plum seedlings today and too a walk through my young pear trees. I have 2 ayers pears in their second year that have a bunch of small red/green bumps all over the leaves. The other pear varieties I have around them don't seem to have this issue. Can anyone tell me what this is and if there is something I should be doing about it?

Attachments

• 20240427_164327.jpg
    20240427_164327.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 27
Looks like blister mite. If the tree is small, the best thing to do is remove the affected leaves and burn them. If you had a strong magnifying glass you could probably see the mites.

Thanks native. Seems to be on a lot of the leaves. Am I doing more harm than good if I remove too many leaves?

Thanks native. Seems to be on a lot of the leaves. Am I doing more harm than good if I remove too many leaves?

I've never seen those mites here, and I'm only aware of them vicariously, What I've read is that they seldom kill a tree. If you remove too many leaves that isn't going to be good either. I just zoomed in and looked at your picture closer. My recommendation would be to leave it alone unless it gets much worse. Good luck.

Thanks again for your input

Not much to do once pear leaves have blister mites, at least until the following dormant season. A shot or two of horticultural oil when dormant will oftentimes solve the problem.

Thanks homerj. I will have to keep in mind to spray them next year. I'm pretty new to all of this. Can you recommend an oil I should use?

Thanks homerj. I will have to keep in mind to spray them next year. I'm pretty new to all of this. Can you recommend an oil I should use?
Lots of options out there. Some people make their own. I use Bonide All Season oil. You do want to pay attention to true "dormant" oils vs. horticultural/dormant oil. Most all oils are now able to be used outside of the dormant season.

Thanks!