Blue Hill Nursery Stock

70 bucks for my zip code also. But trees are a bit cheaper. But not really cheaper cause I bought a couple extra to make me feel good about shipping!

Gonna try a few more Harrison for cider and some Redfield too. My Harrison grafts this spring were swing and a miss taken from my one tree. That one is growing at slow pace so maybe different nursery/roots/whatever could be better. Think not ideal soil and pushing planting zone but with a sample size of one gotta try a few more. Caved in and got some 30-06 too but really have enough crabs already.....ok maybe not
Great Day 70 Bucks is a lot , You
Not going to disagree at all, I am sure there are alot of folks who like the hit the button and make a purchase approach. For them we are not their style. We sell out every year and dont have any real desire to increase the number of trees we produce currently so no need for us to change the purchasing method currently. We have repeat customers who buy from us every year, and have for multiple years. Keep in mind we sell to a lot of backyard growers as well, not just habitat guys, our customers are often looking for input before making a purchase and we are happy to help them out. IMO the websites who want you to order on-line typically are lacking in the customer service department and its feasible in my mind that some people therefore have experienced the same and thus steer clear from on-line ordering websites. We also have a lot of customers who actually write checks yet! LOL Yes we accept them.
I'm old school as well in many aspects , I don't use a debit card , But will use a credit card and pay my bill off every month with a check. I respectfully disagree when you say "websites that want you to order on-line typically are lacking in the customer service department.". We are just talking about order placing process here.... If I need input or have a question I'll e mail a grower weeks or months in advance before ordering NOT the day I place a order.

who else has orchard trees rather than wildlife trees? would like a couple to put in at home for fresh eating and applesauce.
Just ordered some Liberty & Enterprise apple trees this year for the front yard....food for the deer and hopefully a few to eat. I have a couple Granny Smiths and crabs already established , hopefully they pollinate the apple trees

For those of you planting lots of trees, think carefully about where you want to plant them. If you are like me, you will have lots of varieties.

Plant those that have higher human use potential closer to your home, your cabin, or your access area.

I tried to do so, but still have made mistakes. Some varieties just aren’t as attractive to my family’s tastes as I thought. I also had at one time considered making hard cider, but have given up on that.

One alternative is to top work trees where you don’t care for the fruit to other varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered 2 Turning Points, 1 Arkansas Black and 1 Full Draw persimmon. Earliest shipping date he had was 03/13/23. I'm hoping he can work with me and ship them earlier. Roots would be better established by the growing season if I can get them in the ground around Dec. or Jan.

Ordered 2 Turning Points, 1 Arkansas Black and 1 Full Draw persimmon. Earliest shipping date he had was 03/13/23. I'm hoping he can work with me and ship them earlier. Roots would be better established by the growing season if I can get them in the ground around Dec. or Jan.
I had an issue (not with Blue Hill, but another nursery) trying to get screen trees shipped....the issue was that the nursery was in Northern Michigan and I was ready to plant in Central PA, but the trees that I had ordered were still frozen in the tundra between 2 great lakes...I got them pretty quick even so....so maybe just pray for a warm up in late winter? Even 3/13 seems early to me and I live near Blue Hill...

I had an issue (not with Blue Hill, but another nursery) trying to get screen trees shipped....the issue was that the nursery was in Northern Michigan and I was ready to plant in Central PA, but the trees that I had ordered were still frozen in the tundra between 2 great lakes...I got them pretty quick even so....so maybe just pray for a warm up in late winter? Even 3/13 seems early to me and I live near Blue Hill...
Yea, I did think about him not being about to get the trees out of the ground due to it being frozen. I emailed him to see what the options were. By middle of March, buds are green tipped or already leafed out depending on variety here, except persimmons. They usually are leafed out by middle of May, so I should be ok with the Full Draw.

For those of you planting lots of trees, think carefully about where you want to plant them. If you are like me, you will have lots of varieties.

Plant those that have higher human use potential closer to your home, your cabin, or your access area.

I tried to do so, but still have made mistakes. Some varieties just aren’t as attractive to my family’s tastes as I thought. I also had at one time considered making hard cider, but have given up on that.

One alternative is to top work trees where you don’t care for the fruit to other varieties.

I have been learning as I go. My initial plan was for a small groups of 3-4 trees, but have expanded quite a bit.

I have 3 different orchards ... 2 are near the house and have apple trees for eating, baking, and cider. One is about 250-300 yards from our family room view with more crabs & apple crabs. Hoping this becomes a nice late fall/winter feeding area that we can view.

Several small 1-3 tree groupings around the house are for viewing for my wife with crabs of white & pink blossoms.

Then there are the deer orchard groups with 5-15 trees throughout the property.

I am learning that there will be an attrition failure rate due to weather and other events like rodents, too much fertilizer on some trees, and diseases so learning what will grow and survive on my property.

Last edited:
Mine are kind of scattered to where I can fit them in but I now have Big Box store - 3 various pears, 3 Mutsu Apples, 4 Plums, I have 3 wild pears from a random site that I don't even think exists anymore, a couple of american plums that I forget where I got., sand hill plums from Missouri DNR, about 5 persimmons that I got from a local conservation district, about 7 or 8 chinkapins that came from WV DNR, and three named crabs and two wild seedlings from Blue Hill. Four more for next year from Blue Hill. I think then I'm going to switch to shrubs. I want to try and replace some of the black birch that's coming in.

That sounds similar to what I did. There is the home orchard which has now expanded to a long string of apples along the swamp, besides the home orchard.

Then there are apple trees in 3-4 other locations. One string of 1-3 rows of trees are nearly a quarter mile long.

who else has orchard trees rather than wildlife trees? would like a couple to put in at home for fresh eating and applesauce.
I’m going out to pick my novaspy right now. They are a great all around apple for baking and eating fresh.

I'm in Zone 4. I'm not interested in pushing any tree growing zone. So, for me, that means I want a tree that is good from zone 3. If it says zone 4, I won't buy it. Maybe I'm silly, but I'm not interested in living on the edge.

I’m going out to pick my novaspy right now. They are a great all around apple for baking and eating fresh.
We got our first Novaspy apples this year. Delicious! Wife really liked them. The tree only had about 6, so we're hoping more kick in next year.

I'm in Zone 4. I'm not interested in pushing any tree growing zone. So, for me, that means I want a tree that is good from zone 3. If it says zone 4, I won't buy it. Maybe I'm silly, but I'm not interested in living on the edge.
That is a smart policy.

We got our first Novaspy apples this year. Delicious! Wife really liked them. The tree only had about 6, so we're hoping more kick in next year.
I picked my Liberty instead. The nova needed a few more days. My trees are still young but have been loaded last two years.

Looking forward to it. My little home orchard has 2 novaspys, 3 honeycrisp, a chestnut crab and a candy crab.

I picked my Liberty instead. The nova needed a few more days. My trees are still young but have been loaded last two years.

My Liberty’s are also ready to pick

I feel like Liberty grows a bit more on me every year. Zero disease issues and it is tasty over a long maturity window. We have been eating from our tree for going on 2 weeks now and its actually probably just getting fully ripe. I have seen from a reliable source that they keep/ store very well.

Attachments

• liberty.jpg
    liberty.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 13
  • liberty with a bite out.jpg
    liberty with a bite out.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 13
All this Liberty talk!! I’m picking mine on Saturday. Weren’t quite ripe last weekend but tasted really good even so.

I feel like Liberty grows a bit more on me every year. Zero disease issues and it is tasty over a long maturity window. We have been eating from our tree for going on 2 weeks now and its actually probably just getting fully ripe. I have seen from a reliable source that they keep/ store very well.

Watercore starting? Always good then.

I like chestnut at watercore. And Trailman, and even some of the red fleshed are tolerable.

Watercore starting? Always good then.

I like chestnut at watercore. And Trailman, and even some of the red fleshed are tolerable.

No, ours never last that long on the tree, picked before that internal breakdown starts.