Blind heaters

I have a Nuway in my 6x6. It's certainly better than a buddy as far as windows fogging but my windows still fog. What are you using for windows? Single or double pane?

I will admit, I built mine very air tight and that's a big part of the problem.

Air tight is great when the bugs/rodents are looking for a warm place to destroy. Having the ability to make it air tight when you aren't in it but having air flow when you are is the key to a good blind!

I put plexi sliders inside over our windows in our wood blinds. So, we pull or open the glass windows, then slide the plexi opnen or closed. there is a gap obviously as the plexi sliders are a good 2-3 inches off where the windows were. They essentially just block the wind from coming in. But because they are not air tight i only have fogging for the first 5 mins if that. I never light the heaters unless my perm windows are open and the plexi is opened a crack. If it is cold enough for me to turn the heater on it is likely cold enough for the plex to be almost closed. And the plexiglass slides quietly in the wood crevice so if i see a deer it is easy to just move it aside.

Man I don’t miss hunting in northern Wisconsin dealing with snow and cold temps. Some years down here in Kansas I can hunt in a hoody or t-shirt. Even in cold years a ground blind to keep the wind off you is usually enough.

I build my own blinds. There are no walls, no windows, no insulation, no stand, and no floor. Just fabric and screen. They block the wind, but otherwise, they're gonna let lots of heat out. I think an infrared will work better in that setting. I'd like it to be portable too. That's where that procom comes in. It's just two tabs over a bar far as I understand. I can bring it back inside and make it my garage heater too. I like the 6k BTU unit too. 60 hours run time on a 20lb cylinder.

And I don't do 1 pounders. I've gotten to be very averse to garbage and pre-garbage (supplies) at camp.

View attachment 37199View attachment 37200
I'd put a tarp down and some plywood. That alone will keep the cold off your feet. I have years of experience freezing at camp with an uninsulated floor. A blanket goes a long way in a blind....... Another vote for a buddy heater. Make a little metal rack to put some River rocks infront of the heater. Put the warm rocks in your jacket pocket. Warm your belly and hands up.

Radiant aims the heat, blue flame is convenctive mostly. Your convection goes right through the fabric. The buddy heter is radiant. Propane 1lb tank is maybe 8 hours on lowish setting. I use a 20lb adapter. Dont use it much for hunting, but winter snowmobiling at my club's hunting cabin. I put it under the kitchen table to keep our feet warm.

We've used Buddy heaters in our box blinds for several years....and have most of them with long hoses to a LP tank that sits on the grourd. We've had a few issues with the Buddy Heaters....but most of them work out quite well....unless the mice get in 'em.

I installed 3 NuWay gas heaters in my Redneck blinds this year. The blinds are all on ten foot stands. I put a chain hook near the top of the platform...and hang the LP tanks on the hooks....works well and we keep the hoses down to 5 feet long. I used the straight through the roof 3" metal pipe vents for all three heaters. I did buy one two burner Nu Way but the single burner stoves provide more than enough heat for a blind. I think I have about $250 invested in each heating system.....plus the gas tanks (which I had).

This year I really enjoyed using these heaters. I use a gas grill lighter to fire em up. Silent and safe (.....but needs a little experience to prevent a flare up when starting. Burned the hair off my arm the first time...grin.). Much easier to regulate and less moisture on the windows. Now I can leave the window closed (safely) and the scent inside the blind goes through the heater and up and away. We dont worry about being winded with the vented stoves.

A few guys inquired about the install of my NuWay Stoves on a different thread. Today I remembered to shoot a few pics of how I installed these. I have three Redneck blinds with the NuWay Stoves. The other two have the stove mounted in the corners of the blind nearest the door. I installed this one in the front left corner......as it was a "dead zone" for shooting with this blind.....and I believe this blind will stay put for a long time.

I used the furnished mounting hardware to mount our exhaust straight up and out through the roof. This required a large (5" diameter) hole saw which I happened to own, and a cordless drill for the hole. Then up on the ladder and use sheet metal screws and sealant to attach the flashings to the roof. Seems water tight. I forgot to stuff a dryer sheet in the stoves last fall.....to keep bugs and critters out.....but the stands do seem clean this summer. I used a 6x12" floor tile under the stoves to keep the carpet from catching fire. Used a masonry bit to make two 1/4" holes and attached via stove bolts. This makes everything seem safe and secure for our purposes.IMG_0602.JPGIMG_0606.JPGIMG_0607.JPG

I think I prefer the stove to be in this front location vs the rear locations....but it's not too big of a deal in any location.....unless it prevents your shooting. On all three of our blinds I used the furnished 5 foot hose and bolted a chain hook at the top of the blind platform to hang the tank. The tank shown is a bit inconvenient as I need to open the valve with the door closed and it's a little hard to get to on the way into the blind. The other two are mounted to the right side of the platform (better).

We light our stoves with a grill lighter......but a built-in piezo igniter could make it easier. May look into adding those battery powered types so it's quiet. You do need to be careful here......as leaving the gas on too long without being lit can be a hair singing event. That is why I would like the electronic ignitor.

Last year I also added the window "blinds kits", some foam insulation a shelf and a battery powered light to this blind.....whcih is about 5 years old. Kinda over "roughing it". Grin. It also has one of those awnings over the center front window.....as I am partially looking into the sun in this blind. The awning helps allot.

EDIT: One thing I would add if it were super easy.....is a battery powered electronic ignition that is "plumbed" into the stove. Would be a nice accessory add on for these stove. (If Nuway is listening.....I will take three.). I suppose I can buy something from Amazon and clobber it together......just sometimes don't find the time to do the engineering for such stuff. Get's to the point where you just want to buy something that works out of the box.

Last edited:
Pretty gutsy chopping up a nick stand like that........... Nice though.

A few things.

Use a buddy heat, put a roof vent with a few feet of pipe. Sends you scent up and out of the picture...... Put a vent or two outide of the windows. When using vents, put both window screen and hardware fabric up to keep critters out.

IF any insulation is needed, the floor is the best bet. Older folks with poor circulation or injuries to their feet / legs, ,that cold bottom will chew at you, even with some heat at times. Bare minimum a chunk of insulation where your feet are or indoor carpet.

A extra basic blanket over your hunting clothes is a huge difference indoor or outdoor blind. I always carry a camo blanket and wrap my feet and legs up.

Avoid banging around a mr buddy heater. Shut if off about 15 minutes before leaving the stand. Turn it down to low for a minute or two. LEtting that element cool down keeps the bricks from cracking. I have one for about 7 years and still kicking. Ice fishing snowmobiling hunting fixing cars. Been used alot......

I put a nu way on my perm 6x6 a few years back. 100lb tank sits on the ground. When cold My single pain windows still fog a bit until I get it really warm inside but nothing like a buddy heater did. It’s sealed up way to tight. (Never even had a mouse in it yet) I’ve found taking my dewalt 20v fan to use like a vehicle defroster helps a ton. My biggest problem is when I have to open a window to shoot, I’m so damn cold by the time a shot presents itself I’m scrambling for my coat and more sometimes.

I put a nu way on my perm 6x6 a few years back. 100lb tank sits on the ground. When cold My single pain windows still fog a bit until I get it really warm inside but nothing like a buddy heater did. It’s sealed up way to tight. (Never even had a mouse in it yet) I’ve found taking my dewalt 20v fan to use like a vehicle defroster helps a ton. My biggest problem is when I have to open a window to shoot, I’m so damn cold by the time a shot presents itself I’m scrambling for my coat and more sometimes.
^. Wow....a 100 lb tank will keep you going a while.

I've got three Nu Way heaters.....and all are rigged as shown above with 25 lb tanks. I like 'em and have had no problems with windows fogging. I also have 1/2 dozen of the Buddy heaters and have long hoses connecting to ground tanks on most of them. The work pretty well....unless you get mice nesting in those boxes. Argh....that is a disaster. We got along with the Buddy's pretty well.....but the NuWay is a hands-down better system IMO. I'm not planning to add any new Redneck blinds at this time.....but if I do.....I will put the NuWay stoves in em.

Last edited:
The nice thing about a nu way is you can heat up water etc

A few guys inquired about the install of my NuWay Stoves on a different thread. Today I remembered to shoot a few pics of how I installed these. I have three Redneck blinds with the NuWay Stoves. The other two have the stove mounted in the corners of the blind nearest the door. I installed this one in the front left corner......as it was a "dead zone" for shooting with this blind.....and I believe this blind will stay put for a long time.

I used the furnished mounting hardware to mount our exhaust straight up and out through the roof. This required a large (5" diameter) hole saw which I happened to own, and a cordless drill for the hole. Then up on the ladder and use sheet metal screws and sealant to attach the flashings to the roof. Seems water tight. I forgot to stuff a dryer sheet in the stoves last fall.....to keep bugs and critters out.....but the stands do seem clean this summer. I used a 6x12" floor tile under the stoves to keep the carpet from catching fire. Used a masonry bit to make two 1/4" holes and attached via stove bolts. This makes everything seem safe and secure for our purposes.View attachment 45636View attachment 45637View attachment 45638

I think I prefer the stove to be in this front location vs the rear locations....but it's not too big of a deal in any location.....unless it prevents your shooting. On all three of our blinds I used the furnished 5 foot hose and bolted a chain hook at the top of the blind platform to hang the tank. The tank shown is a bit inconvenient as I need to open the valve with the door closed and it's a little hard to get to on the way into the blind. The other two are mounted to the right side of the platform (better).

We light our stoves with a grill lighter......but a built-in piezo igniter could make it easier. May look into adding those battery powered types so it's quiet. You do need to be careful here......as leaving the gas on too long without being lit can be a hair singing event. That is why I would like the electronic ignitor.

Last year I also added the window "blinds kits", some foam insulation a shelf and a battery powered light to this blind.....whcih is about 5 years old. Kinda over "roughing it". Grin. It also has one of those awnings over the center front window.....as I am partially looking into the sun in this blind. The awning helps allot.

EDIT: One thing I would add if it were super easy.....is a battery powered electronic ignition that is "plumbed" into the stove. Would be a nice accessory add on for these stove. (If Nuway is listening.....I will take three.). I suppose I can buy something from Amazon and clobber it together......just sometimes don't find the time to do the engineering for such stuff. Get's to the point where you just want to buy something that works out of the box.
Bringing up an old post here to ask a question. Are you cutting a 2nd hole for fresh air supply or just cracking a window? Sorry if this was addressed and I missed it.

Bringing up an old post here to ask a question. Are you cutting a 2nd hole for fresh air supply or just cracking a window? Sorry if this was addressed and I missed it.
The Redneck blinds I have got have two Air Vents (maybe 2" diameter) on either side of the blind. I always have the window "unlatched" and they can hang open a bit. Most often I have at least one window wide open. Exception is if the wind is howling from that direction. Then a different window is cracked. I don't feel there would be a problem .....but I feel better and do not fear carbon monoxide if I have a window cracked.

The Redneck blinds I have got have two Air Vents (maybe 2" diameter) on either side of the blind. I always have the window "unlatched" and they can hang open a bit. Most often I have at least one window wide open. Exception is if the wind is howling from that direction. Then a different window is cracked. I don't feel there would be a problem .....but I feel better and do not fear carbon monoxide if I have a window cracked.
Thanks, if I install one of these, I want to be able to sleep without being dead in the morning. My thought was that a 4" pvc in the wall would work. You could cap it when the heat isn't in use. That seems sufficient to me but I'm not an HVAC guy.

Thanks, if I install one of these, I want to be able to sleep without being dead in the morning. My thought was that a 4" pvc in the wall would work. You could cap it when the heat isn't in use. That seems sufficient to me but I'm not an HVAC guy.
I bought a battery powered carbon monoxide detector to put in one of our blinds last year. It's still lying on the counter at my shack. Maybe will take it out this year. I doubt it will prove anything. .....but it can't hurt.

I put in a master 18000 btu propane heater in my shack which Is elevated and its way better than a buddy. It has a compartment in the back for the propane tank. Got it tractor supply.

I have a carbon monoxide detector in my blinds that have a NuWay heater. Haven't had one go off yet. Usually have a window slightly open or a 3 inch vent open to some degree.

I have a carbon monoxide detector in my blinds that have a NuWay heater. Haven't had one go off yet. Usually have a window slightly open or a 3 inch vent open to some degree.
Just thinking about this. In order to get carbon monoxide into these blinds......you would more or less have to get a down draft that would exhaust into the blind.....no? Once those chimney's heat up.....I seriously doubt you could get a down draft to happen from these nu-way stoves. .....or, am I missing something?? Any HVAC guys here?

I think you're ok with the nu-way stove and down draft. Keep the pipe size what they recommend, likely 3". Keep it long enough like the blind picture. I doubt most any blind would have issues being too sealed up, as long as you have a air inlet. A PVC pipe with 1/4" holes drilled in it would be good. Controls flow and keep mice out.

MAy ave to crack the windows when you start them.

I am considering not cutting a hole in the roof but have it elbow out the side. ( nu wave).

is this a bad idea?

I am considering not cutting a hole in the roof but have it elbow out the side. ( nu wave).

is this a bad idea?
Hard in my blind to find a spot to do that.