Best spreader for Ag lime?

Tooln, did you over lap the cut seams, butt weld, or add some plate to the back when welding the sections together?
I did a butt weld with a brass backing.

best way IMO is pay a bulk lime spreader to come and lime your stuff, CHEAP and FAST, about 35-45 bucks a ton delivered and spread
next best cheapest is to find a old farm drop spreader with an agitator in it to keep lime from clogging up

some times the BEST way to find them is to drive about rural farm area and look for them laying about the property, MOST need tries and wheels and MAYBE a little welding and there good to go

bought and fixed and sold about 15 of them over the yrs

as REAL farmers don't use them anymore, and there just SCRAP to them, if approached nicely and when there NOT busy, be surprised HOW cheap you can take em away with CASH

MOST I have gotten, the best wheel tires to FIT without much effort is, tires and wheels off a the old GEO Tracker 4x4 fro,m salvage yards
the biggest issue I found over the yrs, is the center hubs on these old spreaders is WAY larger than any other vehicle's wheels, these geo trackers seem to have had ODD sized center holes, LARGE< a little grinding SOME times is still needed but not nearly as much as other wheels off other things, and I LOOKED thru about 500+ wheels one day trying to find better and came up empty! from old scouts jeeps, to modern things??

so a little heads up for anyone buying an older one with plans to fix up!

These aren't mine but maybe someone could fix them up. https://reading.craigslist.org/grd/5960679020.html I have the exact same one but in really good shape. It spreads dry ag lime like a dream. I had to spread 12 tons of wet ag lime last year with mine at my Ohio property because the local farm stores pto driven spreader was out on rental the only weekend I could go to Ohio. I had issues with it bridging so I hooked it up to my Polaris Ranger and spread at 15-20 mph and the bouncing kept the lime flowing. I probably didn't get it real even but got it done.

I fully agree with you here, and thats a great price on that spreader, there simple things, that made yrs back, to last and last and last
simple welding will fix 90% of anything that could ever happen to them too!
just grease them often and wash , and air dry before storing, and you'll have it for another 40 yrs, as most of these were made in the 60's and 70's

I hate to resurrect an old thread here but maybe this will help somebody that is still looking. Check this out! www.sidesspreaders.com
It fits on the back of a tractor and is specifically designed to spread ag lime, amongst other things!

that spreader looks like a nice design and all, but , they cost like 7 grand??
old drop spreaders work on ag lime and can be had cheap at times if you look enough LOL

but guess if you buy one of these it should last a LONG time and don't have to drag a spreader can carry it? if your tractor is large enough do to so, 1.1/2 tons on the rear is a quite a load and will need a pretty large tractor, so keep this in mind if buying or thinking of one of these!