Best spreader for Ag lime?

Local co-op for me. A neighboring landowner and I split a load. Works well.

IMG_0276.JPG

I wonder if I could take a frame like this and rig it up to pull it behind the ATV.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/4840906249.html

00707_fZ1IkAYHxQk_600x450.jpg
Once you start using a tractor you will likely wish you had real tractor implements, not 4 wheeler farming gear.

THAT would work well. I believe I would be all over that if I were in the market....and if it was in good working condition. Price is a bit much......but you could always sell it for that again.

I'm a bit confused by the add saying "will spread dry lime". Wonder about "DRY"? I'd think that would spread ag lime well......but?????

THAT would work well. I believe I would be all over that if I were in the market....and if it was in good working condition. Price is a bit much......but you could always sell it for that again.

I'm a bit confused by the add saying "will spread dry lime". Wonder about "DRY"? I'd think that would spread ag lime well......but?????

To me it just looks like a broadcaster? That wheel will spin and when the ag lime hits it the lime will turn to dust. Or am I wrong?

00K0K_8lWTqpeXd25_600x450.jpg

That setup is actually very much like the workings of the lime buggy's that you can rent from the coop. Units like that should be able to spread ag lime whether it is wet or dry, as long as it is not so wet that it will "paste" itself to the wooden sidewalls. I wish they would have had a pic of the inside.

What are they selling Ag lime delievered (but not spread) these days say 20 min away? Just an approxmate number to see how the math works out.

About $24 per ton my last load. 12 ton delivery I believe. 2 ton per acre general thumb.

User this search or similar for spreader but do the WTB ad as well. Will find ads outside the area as well.

http://www.searchtempest.com

We spent $550 for 12 tons which included them trucking (20 miles) and spreading. This was the Antigo WI coop. Summer of 2013. Not exactly what you are asking for, but it might give you an idea of the cost.

$27 a ton spread in my area last fall.

When I was researching this. One thing I discovered was that this area of Wisconsin doesn't have a local supply of limestone. So they have to truck it into the area. I did talk to this company back then and they were cheaper and just dump the load off.

Otto's Limestone & TruckingDirections
Trucking Company
Address: County Highway CC, Shawano, WI 54166
Phone (715) 524-3014

What are they selling Ag lime delievered (but not spread) these days say 20 min away? Just an approxmate number to see how the math works out.
Mayville Lime Hwy 33&67 50.00 a ton in 50lb bags Ag lime. or 1.34 50lb bag. I got mine last week these were the rates.

I wonder if I could take a frame like this and rig it up to pull it behind the ATV.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/4840906249.html

00707_fZ1IkAYHxQk_600x450.jpg
Ha, I bought one of these 2 years ago to spread aglime. Mine was the pull behind model. I tried it with barn lime in the garden, worked great. I took it north for the aglime, didn't work at all. Even with the agitator the lime would bridge and plug up. Did not work at all. I spread it all with a skid loader, one bucket at a time.

I bought an end-dump semi trailer load of lime (23 tons) and paid about $700 for it. I got the dolmetic lime out of limestone quarry in the Mpls area. Basically ground up limestone. It's said that this lasts a bit longer......but I am unsure of that. I have over 3 tons / acre spread onto my land.....and got the PH from the low 5's to about 7 everywhere I grow stuff. Made a huge difference in growing for me.

Hull Bros Trucking out of Avon MN does lots of lime delivery to MN. They do not do less than full trailer loads direct. I had them dump into two stock piles in order to save some haul time. You gotta have room for an 18 wheeler if you use these guys.....and be ready for delivery.

Last edited:
The lime I got (in two deliveries) was quite wet. I could make a "snow ball" with the product.....but it would fall apart if I tried to fling it. It had the consistency of wet sand. I think some of the beet lime is much drier (?) and powdery....but I have not messed with any. Can anyone confirm this?? My operation was quite clean. No dust flying about......kinda like spreading sand.

I just use pellet and my 3 pt conical broadcaster. My plots are just too small to screw with otherwise. My plots are old ag fields anyway so the ph was pretty good to start with. I typically just mix the lime and fertilizer together and let it fly!

Your link to the Milwaukee unit is a joke, unless you want to do your lawn. A drop spreader is what I have really close to what Foggy has. Mine started out 10' wide and I sectioned it to be 6'. I had bad trails and no way to get to them with a truck or tractor so it was all ATV. I had a load of lime delivered and dumped where the truck could get to. I load the spreader by hand and spread with the ATV. Now that I have a tractor I'll load with it and still spread with the ATV. Now the Marshfield link is what your really looking for. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have my drop spreader. That unit would handle clumps and lime that was wet. Any truck or buggy that spreads lime is designed like that unit. A drop spreader will plug with wet or if it gets clumps. I'd try to get the unit for $500 but would pay the asking price if everything work good. If your serious that unit may go fast as I don't see them come for sale often. If your not interested in it let me know Marshfield is real close to me & I may think about getting it a selling my drop spreader. Don't worry if your looking at it seriously I won't buy it from under you. If you like I may be able to go check it out for you if you like.

Before

After

Last edited:
I called the guy from Marshfield. He says the box is in good shape and everything works. He won't go any lower than $700.

I think I'd snatch it up. Maybe go into the rental biz with a few locals? $100 / day?