Best spreader for Ag lime?

I think I'd snatch it up. Maybe go into the rental biz with a few locals? $100 / day?

I think I might ask my good neighbor if he is interested in going half's on it. I would think he would be interested.

Show up with cash and start counting $100.00 bill's. You may get it a little cheaper. Money talks, bull$hit walks.

Show up with cash and start counting $100.00 bill's. You may get it a little cheaper. Money talks, bull$hit walks.

I'll never forget a guy whom drove 400 miles to look at my Rokkon two-wheel drive motorcycle I had for sale. He wanted the cyle for an elk trip he was going on in a few days. He tried to buy it for a lower price by getting his cash out on the table. I told him he didnt drive 400 miles to go home without the bike....and that it was everything we had talked about at the price....and I would not discount it a penny. i.e.: Don't bullshcmidt the bullshcmitter. :D He went home with the bike and paying full price. Hope he got an elk. ;)

I used my salt spreader last year. The kind you see in the back of pick up trucks. It holds 3 tons and worked great. I am sure if you watch for them the rest of winter you will see a bunch of them. I bet if you asked they would be willing to do it for a good price. Around here snow plow guys are pretty bored in April and would love an easy side job for cash.

I used my salt spreader last year. The kind you see in the back of pick up trucks. It holds 3 tons and worked great. I am sure if you watch for them the rest of winter you will see a bunch of them. I bet if you asked they would be willing to do it for a good price. Around here snow plow guys are pretty bored in April and would love an easy side job for cash.
^ Yep.....I'm sure those would work quite well. Kinda surprised more people don't use these spreaders for lime. Not sure what powers them?.....pick-up pto?? or gas engine??? I do see some of those on CL from time to time.....just never paid much attention.

foggy, I don't really know either, but my guess would be 12v motor.

^ Yep.....I'm sure those would work quite well. Kinda surprised more people don't use these spreaders for lime. Not sure what powers them?.....pick-up pto?? or gas engine??? I do see some of those on CL from time to time.....just never paid much attention.
I have two different models. They both run off the truck battery. One has a chain delivery system the other is an auger system. You would definitely need an auger one for lime. Mine also has a vibrator so the material is shaken down to the auger. I could drive to my plots so it worked well. 3 tons was a little much for the truck and the 1 hour drive but she made it without any issues.

6 years ago I bought a Cosmo ATV wheel driven funnel spreader from fleet farm. One of the first projects I used it for was spreading lime. I removed my tailgate off my truck, hooked up that unit and manually kept feeding it lime so it didn't jam up with the heavy AG lime. It worked really good as long as you have a good dad or buddy to sit in the cab with the A/C on while driving your truck around. It helps to have a tractor loader, bobcat, bunch of guys with beer, to get the lime up into the bed.

I cant get lime trucks to my plots either.
Last august I bought a ez flow 10ft. Off craigslists for $600.
Thinking about cutting it in half making 2 5 footers or a 6ft and a 4ft.
What length or lengths would you make?

Nevermind, heard it's not feasible make 2.
Probably go with 6ft.

I sectioned a 12' EZ Flow into a 6'. I had a thread here on what and how I did it but it's no where to be found now? You want to keep both ends/sides & the middle. To do it right at least. I made mine 6' to fit my trails.

I had a thread here on what and how I did it but it's no where to be found now?

tooln, could your post be #20 found here?:
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/new-to-me-lime-spreader.2885/#post-55767

Looks like an album on photobucket, but its marked as "private" now. Just seemed odd that you would have had a thread disappear.

Thanks,

-John

Wiscwhip,
What size NH is that? How much weight is it pulling? Any problems? Thanks!

Tooln, did you over lap the cut seams, butt weld, or add some plate to the back when welding the sections together?

Wiscwhip,
What size NH is that? How much weight is it pulling? Any problems? Thanks!
Sorry FL, I can't help you there. That isn't my pic, I just pulled that off the web to show BJE80 what was available at many local coops.

I bought a Stoltzfus Hunt Club wet lime spreader last spring and it is the cream of the crop. PTO driven chain and spinners, will hold 2.5 tons heaping. Built to the same standards as their big boy spreaders. Mine has a low rate feature for spreading large amounts of fertilizer down to 125lb./acre. No regrets, put about 100 tons through it last year.

spreader in action.jpg Stoltfus on trailer.jpg

I bought a Stoltzfus Hunt Club wet lime spreader last spring and it is the cream of the crop. PTO driven chain and spinners, will hold 2.5 tons heaping. Built to the same standards as their big boy spreaders. Mine has a low rate feature for spreading large amounts of fertilizer down to 125lb./acre. No regrets, put about 100 tons through it last year.

Maybe overkill for most. But for what your're up to that's a nice rig.

Yes I agree, overkill for most working on their own plots. However, the problem I was running into was the property owner that was fine with my charges for food plot work, but after soil testing....had low ph in sometimes heavy clay soil and required a lot of lime. Pelletized lime is expensive and I won't work on a property unless I test the soil and the landowner is willing to follow the lime and fertilizer requirements. So my solution was to have super high quality ag lime delivered, but that lime also required spreading via a wet lime spreader (my customers aren't willing to just throw the stuff from a trailer behind a wheeler). The lime I have delivered is 2212lbs. ENP per ton lime kiln dust (LKD). Saves the customer money and opens a new revenue stream for me, all while following the soil test precisely.