All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beans get an C grade this year

Eggman

5 year old buck +
Deer pressure has been hard on them and some plots were on new first year new ground but over all not great. IMG_4063.JPGIMG_4072.JPGIMG_4081.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look better than mine this year. We really need some moisture. Planted early June and I bet thier not 6 inches tall.

Better than mine. Had 1 bean germinate out of 10 lbs.

20170725_080709.jpg

looks like it will be good conditions for overseeding cereal and brassica into. All you can do is play the hand your dealt. It looks like they are keeping some nice bucks in your area anyway.

I'm sort of the same opinion at STF - overseed with brassica or cereal grains or even a clover and try to make the best of it. I actually like my beans to be a little weak to help facilitate doing this.

You gave them a "C" - which is "average" where I went to school..... My question would be what was the criteria for an "A" and is that criteria realistic in your situation? Can you share why you think they deserve a "C"? I'm not saying I agree or disagree.....I think there may be something to be learned from understanding why you gave them a "C". I used to have to grade animals and give a reason WHY one was better than the other.....it makes you look at things a little differently sometimes.

Yes sir J bird I like your approach. In year past the beans have been thigh high or better and full of pods. Pods do not seem to be a big benefit to deer in NC in the winter but the height of the beans seem to make the deer feel more comfortable. In years past I would have a complete canopy by July the 4th. Weeds this year have been a pain. The sickle pod is heavy.

I agree with being able to over seed as plus. I am not going to harvest them but when you put the effort into trying to grow a crop and they do not produce a crop is where I came up with my grade. Do not get me wrong the beans have served there purpose to provide food during our stress period of the summer.

I would give them an A+. You have plenty of feed there and the deer are liking them. If we where after high yields and trying to make money farming we are in big trouble!!! Lol

Mine are about 3.5' tall and the deer arent touching them.

IMG_1208.JPG

Yes sir J bird I like your approach. In year past the beans have been thigh high or better and full of pods. Pods do not seem to be a big benefit to deer in NC in the winter but the height of the beans seem to make the deer feel more comfortable. In years past I would have a complete canopy by July the 4th. Weeds this year have been a pain. The sickle pod is heavy.

I agree with being able to over seed as plus. I am not going to harvest them but when you put the effort into trying to grow a crop and they do not produce a crop is where I came up with my grade. Do not get me wrong the beans have served there purpose to provide food during our stress period of the summer.
That's what I was looking for! I figured your winter needs would be different as well. Did you plant the same beans this year as you did last? I know beans have many different manipulated traits and height is one of them. For feeding deer it typically isn't as important, but if you used a different variety you may be seeing that difference (just a possibility). I think you still have lots of food there for your deer. They may not be picture perfect and have a few weeds, but I doubt the deer really care. Just as an FYI - IF the beans you grow happen to be a shorter variety you can mix in some corn (I use corn because it too can be RR variety). This will create a sense of cover in your plot. if you check out my property tour you can see I tried this this year and have 2 plots with 2 extremes. One has too little corn and the other has too much - I just need to find the sweet spot in my mix ratio. Also consider the growing conditions could be different this year than last as well. The thing is we are constantly learning and having to adapt and adjust as well. Nothing is ever the same.....

Mine are about 3.5' tall and the deer arent touching them.

View attachment 14373
Buck - you have any reasonable cover near those? Looks like a great stand, but the deer have to have a means to get to the beans as well. I have 100 acre fields of beans in my area and until they get close to the cover will you see the browsing. Another thing is your deer numbers. I have large fields of beans all over and low deer numbers.....as such the browsing isn't significant and it tends to be really spread out, but it also tends to only be along areas of cover. Just because you have a great plot - sometimes it still boils down to location.

That's what I was looking for! I figured your winter needs would be different as well. Did you plant the same beans this year as you did last? I know beans have many different manipulated traits and height is one of them. For feeding deer it typically isn't as important, but if you used a different variety you may be seeing that difference (just a possibility). I think you still have lots of food there for your deer. They may not be picture perfect and have a few weeds, but I doubt the deer really care. Just as an FYI - IF the beans you grow happen to be a shorter variety you can mix in some corn (I use corn because it too can be RR variety). This will create a sense of cover in your plot. if you check out my property tour you can see I tried this this year and have 2 plots with 2 extremes. One has too little corn and the other has too much - I just need to find the sweet spot in my mix ratio. Also consider the growing conditions could be different this year than last as well. The thing is we are constantly learning and having to adapt and adjust as well. Nothing is ever the same.....

I did not get mine planted until June 16th, but we have had pretty good growing conditions. I have pods forming on many of them.

I mixed about 12% of Milo and 5% corn in with mine to create some taller cover. The weeds invited themselves ...

IMG_20170729_092832.jpg

My bean plots look the worst theyve looked in 15 years. The Water Hemp wont die and its a huge problem this year for me. Im going to try and look at the bright side and like others have said, at least now there is plenty of light available to over seed WR, oats or brassicas into. It should be perfect for that.

Like ya say, thank goodness im just a deer hunter and not a farmer!

Weeds always invite themselves and to be honest the deer don't care. Sure they can reach a point of being an issue, but we are just feeding deer. I know many times I get ragweed in my plots (common and giant types) and the deer eat them as well and they provide that sense of security also. As much as we all tend to shoot for that picture perfect plot....often times it just isn't necessary. I will NEVER be a production farmer and I have had much better beans in the past as well, but it's never the same thing twice, so we simply have to work with the hand we are dealt and try to adapt and learn as best we can. Our plots are to SUPPLEMENT the deer's diet, not be the only food source for them.....so keep that in mind as well.

Hell, I have a production bean field right now hat has a decent marestail issue....so at times even the pro's don't have picture perfect work either!