Baiting dilemma

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Hope to not ruffle any feathers but I will come out and say it! I despise baiting. Think it turns wildlife into livestock. Takes the woodsmanship out of hunting. I personally have zero interest in ever shooting an animal over a pile of corn. With that said I own land in a state where baiting is so ingrained in the hunting culture I’m not sure the majority would know how to hunt without it. This is my first deer season hunting here and where I previously hunted baiting was illegal so a nonissue. With that said I’m sure every one of my neighbors has corn out coming soon. I have 250 acres, so not enough to actually hold deer on my property exclusively.
My question is, can anyone speak to the draw of corn over a well managed habitat with little pressure (just me). I hate the idea of losing a mature deer to some guy sitting over a 100lb pile of corn on the middle of a hardwood bottom. Granted he has every right to that deer as I do as long as he’s legal but I have every right to try to protect it! My other question is does anyone fill feeders and put them in a “sanctuary” within their property as a defense mechanism to hold deer from wandering?
Just curious on others take with this issue.

Please post you location ... important to understand ...

Please post you location ... important to understand ...
Sorry. Western Kentucky

Pretty big woods for the region with mixed ag.

Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. Baiting, where it is legal, is an ethical choice like many other techniques. While it is not my cup of tea, I understand why some folks do it. While baiting is illegal (so is feeding deer now that CWD has arrived), many people do it. Those who do bait believe it gives them an advantage over not baiting in their situation. In the state where I grew up, we were told that if we see a dog chasing a deer, the ethical choice was to shoot the dog. In my current state, it is a common tradition to hunt deer with dogs. Again, not my coup of tea, but I don't have an issue with others doing it as long as they can control their dogs so they don't infringe on the property of others. I understand in some areas with pine thickets and swamps, chances of shooting a deer without dogs would be very low. In general, in our state, statics show that dog hunters have a slightly higher success rate than non-dog deer hunters.

To my way of thinking, the concept of fair chase is key. Different folks have different ideas of what fair chase is. One definition that I like is that the game has as much or more chance of escaping unharmed than the hunter has of harvesting it. For me, that is a minimum criteria. There are some techniques I don't employ because I think it gives me too much advantage. Other techniques I don't employ simply because I don't enjoy them.

As for the advantage baiting gives the hunter, I don't think it is much depending on how it is done. Here is a good example: A guy who dumps a bushel of apples on the ground in front of his treestand and hunts is clearly baiting in my state. I while ago, I read a story about a hunter in my state that climbed into his tree stand opening day only to find a pile of apples about 30 yards away. He immediately called the game warden and reported it so he did not get into trouble. The game warden investigated and found the apples were spoils dumped by the farmer who had made cider and mixed spoiled apples with the pressings and dumped them in his back 40. They just happened to be near that treestand. Because they were not deposited there fro the purpose of hunting, it would not have been considered baiting and the hunter could have legally hunted that stand. He did not. If one hunts an oak tree with the ground littered with acorns he is legal. If the hunter collects acorns from his back yard and scatters them under the oak tree he is baiting.

So, what is the difference between a food plot and baiting? The food plot has quality food widely distributed and it available 24/7. Once deer feel a little hunting pressure, they have full access to the food and will use it after dark. A bait pile is a concentrated food source that may or may not be available 24/7. There are disease spread issues with concentrated food sources. A feeder distributes the food slightly but it still pretty concentrated. The bait pile or feeder will be more attractive to deer if safety is not a concern. Deer want to consume and conserve energy and a bait pile is an easy consistent meal. They become conditioned to that food source being there. A hunter who dumps a pile of corn in front of his stand, hunts it, collects the corn, and goes home probably has not advantage. It is not the corn, it is the conditioning for a save consistent high quality meal.

However, once safety becomes a concern, things change. When good food is plentiful, deer will pick a safer target. You even see this with food plots. when acorns fall in my area, deer can virtually disappear from food plots. So, when your habitat is good and hunting pressure is applied, habitat wins! However, habits are hard to break. Deer that have been conditioned with a deer feeder on a timer may take more time to get deprogrammed from the conditioning.

Thanks,

Jack

I think it can be done (holding some deer with habitat vs corn). I think a lot of pile guys are kind of sloppy so the older bucks will learn to be nocturnal when they go there to feed, and some will just stay away completely. Your best bet is to have great cover with little pressure on your place, and to hope the neighbors don't.

Well everyone has their own ethics. Some people look at food plots as cheating. Most mature deer won't visit a feeder during daylight hours. Baiting isn't all it is cracked up to be. The deer know it is a setup and are very wary of coming in except for well after dark. That being said it can be effective especially at certain times of the year.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it and just hunt. I learned a long time ago to now worry about how others hunted and I just worry about myself. Worrying about others will drive you crazy.

Put my feeder out today. I dont hunt over it but it keeps the deer around. Neighbor has a feeder 200 yds away, and there is one across the road to the north 400 yds away. If I dont feed, I dont see deer.

Most mature deer won't visit a feeder during daylight hours. Baiting isn't all it is cracked up to be. The deer know it is a setup and are very wary of coming in except for well after dark. That being said it can be effective especially at certain times of the year. .
I can start going through pics to prove you wrong but here are a couple I have on my phone.
IMAG0536.JPGIMAG0032.JPG

I can start going through pics to prove you wrong but here are a couple I have on my phone.
View attachment 26044View attachment 26045

I said most. LOL. Usually the ones that live very long learn to avoid them most of the time especially once hunting pressure starts. Even the ones that do usually will circle downwind of the area prior to coming in.

View attachment 26044View attachment 26045

And I get pictures of mature bucks in my food plots outside the season too. How is your hunting pressure. The heavier the pressure the fewer daytime pics of mature bucks in either plots or at feeders.

And I get pictures of mature bucks in my food plots outside the season too. How is your hunting pressure. The heavier the pressure the fewer daytime pics of mature bucks in either plots or at feeders.
Those pics were in season. I killed the top one 150 yards away 10 days later. Season starts here Sept 16th this year.

I have a guy hunting the property to the west. He dumps 200 lbs of corn a week and hunts out of a pop up blind.

Property to the east is a 40 that a guy from LA bought. He comes up and hunts 2 months straight.

Property north is hunted hard and has a shooting house nicer than most people's apartment.

Property SW doesnt see pressure till gun season but they have a monster insulated shooting house and giant feeder.

Property directly south of me is trust land and doesnt allow hunting.

I haven't kept a log of pics really since 2014. Only a few pics get stashed, the vast majority get viewed and deleted.. Here are a few I have saved from back in the day. Most of these are just corn dumped on the ground. A couple the feeder is directly behind the camera and its watching the trail approach.IMAG0248.JPGIMG_1732.JPGIMG_1766.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    443.6 KB · Views: 9
I haven't kept a log of pics really since 2014. Only a few pics get stashed, the vast majority get viewed and deleted.. Here are a few I have saved from back in the day. Most of these are just corn dumped on the ground. A couple the feeder is directly behind the camera and its watching the trail approach.View attachment 26051View attachment 26052View attachment 26053

I don’t doubt they will do it, my issue was based more on the fact that I personally don’t want to do it and won’t shoot a deer over bait BUT I also don’t want to be a stubborn idiot and have a property devoid of deer while my neighbors throw out some corn and have good hunts. I have worked hard in 9 short months getting the property better but I often wonder if all that effort can be undone by a trip to tractor supply and $7

My farm is 1350 acres. Until I built a game fence around it there was almost no chance of a buck living past 3. For over 30 years that was true. Every adjoining property baited extensively and shot everything that came thru some miles away. Bucks do walkabouts irrespective of habitat. Bait piles attract does and bucks are curious as well as horny. Especially the younger ones and if there isn't cooperation they get shot.

Like KS i can now show countless pics of mature bucks coming to corn piles in daytime. I use corn to get cam pics but have no interest in hunting over a bait pile or, feeder.

At least that is my experience.

Hope to not ruffle any feathers but I will come out and say it! I despise baiting. Think it turns wildlife into livestock. Takes the woodsmanship out of hunting. I personally have zero interest in ever shooting an animal over a pile of corn. With that said I own land in a state where baiting is so ingrained in the hunting culture I’m not sure the majority would know how to hunt without it. This is my first deer season hunting here and where I previously hunted baiting was illegal so a nonissue. With that said I’m sure every one of my neighbors has corn out coming soon. I have 250 acres, so not enough to actually hold deer on my property exclusively.
My question is, can anyone speak to the draw of corn over a well managed habitat with little pressure (just me). I hate the idea of losing a mature deer to some guy sitting over a 100lb pile of corn on the middle of a hardwood bottom. Granted he has every right to that deer as I do as long as he’s legal but I have every right to try to protect it! My other question is does anyone fill feeders and put them in a “sanctuary” within their property as a defense mechanism to hold deer from wandering?
Just curious on others take with this issue.

I think if you feel that strongly against baiting, then I’m not sure why you would even consider the second. Yeah, you could do that, but then that’s no different than the other guy that you are concerned with. Trying to hold deer from “wandering” sounds a bit livestock-ish to me ...;)

My opinion, I wouldn’t worry about it and hunt as you feel comfortable. That guy has every right to put out the corn and you have every right to do what is legal on your property. That corn is not an irresistible draw that the deer can’t overcome, and in most areas with long term baiting, the deer (bucks specifically) are very wary of it.

And have you ever thought about it from the other guy’s point of view? It being your first season there, sounds like you are the outsider. They may have a lot of history with those deer, and they may be concerned about you taking them...

You’re not going to be able to protect that deer anymore than the other guy and those deer are not anyone’s property. The mature buck doesn’t get that way on accident and my guess is that he’ll give you both the slip....

No offense intended :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those pics were in season. I killed the top one 150 yards away 10 days later. Season starts here Sept 16th this year.

I have a guy hunting the property to the west. He dumps 200 lbs of corn a week and hunts out of a pop up blind.

Property to the east is a 40 that a guy from LA bought. He comes up and hunts 2 months straight.

Property north is hunted hard and has a shooting house nicer than most people's apartment.

Property SW doesnt see pressure till gun season but they have a monster insulated shooting house and giant feeder.

Property directly south of me is trust land and doesnt allow hunting.

Sounds like you have pressure pretty well under control.

If your ethically worried about it then don't bait, hunt November funnels and pinch points instead. Bucks will be on their feet looking for does and traveling great distances that are sure to cross your land. If you're worried about the neighbors controlling the deer to the point that you don't enjoy hunting then put out your own piles. Hunt the piles or don't. The thing about corn is that it's an equal opportunity situation. If your neighbors can do it then so can you. Ultimately YOU have to be happy with the deer you shoot and how you shot it. It's just a deer... the hunt is what matters and I suspect you already know your answer.

What do you have for equipment and are you able to plant a corn plot?

If I was in your situation I would plant as much corn as I could. When it is fully mature I would run the tractor and brush hog through it one swath every other week until its all on the ground. Would you have a problem hunting over that? If so, just don't hunt over it. It's usually impossible to get out of your stand in the evening when hunting over a big draw like this anyway. Hunt the trails leading to it.

With this being said I have found beans much easier to grow and the deer in my area prefer them to corn.