Arkansas Blacks

Do you guys like to eat them off the tree? Too mushy/texture is just off for my liking. My girlfriend didn't like them either. Still holding in east central, MN.
If its mushy this time of year then it likely isnt an Arkansas Black, especially if the tree is in MN. Maybe if the fruit has been frozen hard a couple of times. My Arkansas Blacks are a very firm, dense apple.

I like tasting them all too but how do you know it is ripe if you've never tasted one before? I got 75 varieties planted and only one of them I've ever bought at a store.
If it tastes good who cares lol. If it taste not so good then maybe wait. Easier to look at the seeds of one you have tasted since you put the first cut into the apple with your teeth. And how do you kn0w if it's ripe then even if the seeds are dark if never tasted. For me it's about taste not ripeness. If it's ripe and not tasty the deer can have them. If it's tasty but seeds. It dark I will still eat it and if it's not tasty and seeds dark may still use for cider for whatever the taste characteristics the particular apple is giving me.

Do you guys like to eat them off the tree? Too mushy/texture is just off for my liking. My girlfriend didn't like them either. Still holding in east central, MN.
Yes but they are better after they sit for a while. I don't find Arks to be mushy but rather firm and crisp.

My Arkansas blacks are hard as a rock and tart when ready to pick, and improve in storage.

I shouldn't say mushy. Mealy? Idk how to explain it. My Haralson are just SO much better. I have 8 or so in storage, I'll wait a bit and give them another try. They are definitely Arkansas Black. Coolest looking Apple I have!

I shouldn't say mushy. Mealy? Idk how to explain it. My Haralson are just SO much better. I have 8 or so in storage, I'll wait a bit and give them another try. They are definitely Arkansas Black. Coolest looking Apple I have!

That's strange I wouldn't describe the apples I've had a mealy either, normally Arkansas Black right off the tree is very hard and crisp

That's strange I wouldn't describe the apples I've had a mealy either, normally Arkansas Black right off the tree is very hard and crisp

Nothing more "mealy" than a store bought Red Delicious. Disgusting. I've heard they're completely different fresh off the tree.

Nothing more "mealy" than a store bought Red Delicious. Disgusting. I've heard they're completely different fresh off the tree.

Agree, I use my red delicious to graft too. I planted it just for that, it is a five in one now and I may ad more to it later.