Alfalfa

Big Snow Man

5 year old buck +
My plan was to plant my RR alfalfa early with a nurse crop of oats in my smaller plots. With all the rain last fall and the monsoon season were in now I can't even walk to those plots to do a soil sample or get equipment to the area. What is the best time to do fall seeding so I can get overwintering?

Probably shoot for atleast 45 days before the first frost. Also hang in there. It's only the start of May. I am pretty close to you so I can understand the frustration with the rain and lately colder temps. I planted a food plot this weekend and let me tell you... it was boardline iffy on if I should be using just atv equipment or not.... this spring has been brutal. Good luck. If things dry out, I wouldn't hesitate to plant that up until the middle of June.

What alfalfa would be good to plant in northern potter county?

^^^^^^^ Some of the guys from other states may not know where Potter Co. is. Most guys put their state and planting zone under their avatar so others can help with planting advice. Just a " heads-up ".

My camp is in Lycoming Co. and we have " Supreme 1015 " alfalfa planted from Welter's Seed Co. in Iowa. It's growing really well for us. It needs good soil fertility and sun to grow well. Check your pH and see if you need lime. You want 6.3 or higher for alfalfa. Our pH is around 6.5 to 6.7.

Not to hijack, but reading the original post gave me a question. Is it better to plant alfalfa with oats vs rye so that you don't run the risk of smothering the alfalfa the following year if the rye gets too far ahead? (1/4 acre experiment)

Most of the farmers use oats as a " nurse" crop.

thanks Bib Snow man, never thought about that.