Aging deer by jawbone

I have always thought about sending in teeth from the same animal and saying they are from two different deer to see what they age them at.

I have always thought about sending in teeth from the same animal and saying they are from two different deer to see what they age them at.
Can't really do that. They want BOTH middle incisors, so you'd have nothing else to compare them to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like the way you think

I don't like the fact that ask you(the customer) to write down on the form what age you think the deer is. I am not sure what to put there...

I don't like the fact that ask you(the customer) to write down on the form what age you think the deer is. I am not sure what to put there...

I always leave that blank :)

I would guess the are not using that in providing an estimate. Instead, they are likely compiling statistical data on hunter estimates verses measured results.

Thanks,

Jack

Anyone got a set of incisors they want to send in?
I've got 4 sets to send off. Not all from this year. With 5 sets you get the commercial rate which is cheaper. I always spring the $15 for a framed certificate. Yes that's highway robbery but I'm to lazy to make my own.

Send in the molars of the same deer after you've sent in the incisors and see how they match up. When I did that I had a two year difference. I'm not paying anymore to be that accurate. I feel I can judge that close and put the money into habitat management.

I never tell them what I think the age was.

I never tell them what age I think they are. I've sent in 4 deer, all bucks that I've had many pictures of so, I have a pretty good idea on age on the hoof. So far, their results have been the exact same as my estimates. I think they want to collect as much data as possible though. They do like to have 2 teeth in case there is a discrepancy about the age as to what the hunter thought, they then run the second tooth.

Just got the results back from forensic cementum annuli aging. Tank was 8.5 years oldTank.JPG. Tank was 8.5 years old

That's awesome. I've never had one come back that old. How much history did you have on that buck?

Nice clover plot too-

I had pics back to 2013 that I thought was his dad maybe, but now I am pretty sure it was him. I haven't yet found any from 2014, but have some from 2015, 2016, 2017.