“Locals” attitude towards recreational vacant land owners

Good example this weekend the local hound gang claimed 2 wolves had moved into our swamp and they are trying to kill them but can't get acess. They claimed there were dead deer layin everywhere because we won't allow hound hunters. My caretaker who is a local thank god, walked our entire swamp with his grandsons yesterday. 1 dead spike/ coyote kill. No wolf tracks, all 100% bs. Besides, wolves are now protected again. Love hound hunter morals.
all hound hunters are immoral and all big shots from California are pompous snobs, I could live with that

Most of my neighbors are amish and are pretty good people. It helps that I hire out their kids to help me in the spring time doing habitat work. They bring me homemade donuts and I return the favor by giving them candy to take to their younger siblings. They also do all my spraying and weed control during the summer while I'm gone. Most everybody I've met has been nice and shown me who've to steer clear of. The one other "English" person on my road is a farmer and works up all my plots for me. All in all I'm pretty blessed.

I think its the same everywhere.

Locals that don't own land don't like you because you drove up the price of land they'd never be able to afford anyway. (Most anyway) Also you don't let them act like they own your place like the old local owner did for the past 100 years.

Local Land owners are usually more accepting because they know you bought it and pay taxes like them.

I stay the heck out of the local watering holes. Nothing good could come from me being there :D

I think its the same everywhere.

Locals that don't own land don't like you because you drove up the price of land they'd never be able to afford anyway. (Most anyway) Also you don't let them act like they own your place like the old local owner did for the past 100 years.

Local Land owners are usually more accepting because they know you bought it and pay taxes like them.

I stay the heck out of the local watering holes. Nothing good could come from me being there :D

But they have really good pizza. :)

Oh and I enjoy having a beer with the locals I do enjoy talking with.

i have a love/hate relationship w most of the neighbors on the various grounds i have long term management on. i'm a N WI guy, as i grew up there. so they tend to like me because i dont work some "easy office job" and can relate to country life as well as anyone. that said, they also hate me, as i'm part of what they see as "the problem."

i just take the same advice i always gave my kids: "do u love them? are they really good freinds? are they really important ppl in your life? if the answer to all 3 is no, then don't waste ur time caring what they think. instead, just focus that energy on being the person u will be proud of, as what they think doesn't matter."

i know that can be easier said than done, but i try to live by it.

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't really losing sleep over these boneheads but I was curious if it was just my area or if this was all over. Like I said in Taylor/Price counties they were super nice. People are a little rough around the edges with bigger egos where my land is now.

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't really losing sleep over these boneheads but I was curious if it was just my area or if this was all over. Like I said in Taylor/Price counties they were super nice. People are a little rough around the edges with bigger egos where my land is now.
Like you said, every one in Price and Taylor have been very nice!

Try having IL plates. I don't talk to many people other than my immediate neighbors and most of them are really nice. I care less what the other locals think of me. While on the face I may look like a city slicker to them when I drive by, I know that I'm more of an outdoorsman at heart than 75% of them.

I chuckled at this. You're right, IL plates, in this area, aren't very highly thought of.

That being said, my "land neighbor" is from IL and I enjoy having them as a neighbor. Nice people.

I think it just who's in the neighbor hood. I think most are just pissed casue they pissed their money away and can't afford to buy land.

I think it just who's in the neighbor hood. I think most are just pissed casue they pissed their money away and can't afford to buy land.

Well in their defense most of them have land because they are farmers. With acreage.

I was born & raised on a farm. My dad cut the woods out and made fields. :(

I bought my second place in an area I didn't grow up in. It's in southern waupaca county, but I have some neighbors who know the same people I know. I only own 30 acres there, but I now have permission to hunt over 250, with 3 different land owners. One neighbor takes us on sleigh rides, one lets us ski or snow shoe, it goes on and on.
If you are naturally a d*•€% head you can make enemies real quick, and don't expect any favors. It's clear our society has little humility, so most just won't get it. For me it was easy becoming part of the neighborhood. The positive relationships I've devolved are worth much more than any deer. Maybe it's just me, if you can't relate, enjoy your fortified piece of dirt!
I bought the place as a straight up investment, and could sell for $8-$10k/ acre. I just don't think I could sell it at this point because it's such s cool neighborhood.

Correct Dipper, it's about being a good neighbor! Some are, some aren't.

Most people who own or live near my property are Ok.

Now the meth heads, thieves, litter bugs, and white trash are still just that. The good locals don't like them just like I don't.

Most people who own or live near my property are Ok.

Now the meth heads, thieves, litter bugs, and white trash are still just that. The good locals don't like them just like I don't.
Said perfectly. My neighbor is one of the few full time locals and he is the greatest neighbor you could ask for. After a couple years we now hang out all the time. He keeps an eye on our place and calls me if anything is wrong. There are some other locals who are great too. However, for every good local they will show you 10 that are scum bags, and they know because they deal with them 365 and not just on weekends. I always push my FIL to be more strict about trespassers but he refuses. He has been there for 25 years now and is positive the place would get torched if you push back on the wrong local. We just keep to ourselves and everything works out good.

positive the place would get torched if you push back on the wrong local...

I know all about that!

I've written on this topic before.....but one of the best things I did when I bought my land was to send out a letter of introduction to my neighbors. It was one page. I said that I bought the piece for recreational land and that hunting was pretty important to my family members. Named our family members and two friends that may use the property, and that I would be out there doing habitat work as much as possible. Invited anyone to have a look if they wanted. Said that I hoped they would help with any trespass issues and that I would do my level best to respect their land(s). Gave all my contact information.

Most of my neighbors said they really liked that letter and we were well-accepted soon after. I have done my best to be a good neighbor......and all my neighbors (I have 8) have done well by me too. A little respect for one-another goes a long way. I think when you put demands on people (especially early-on) that it does not sit well with the folks that have been there for a while. When your the new kid on the block......your the new kid....and may need to prove yourself.

Reactions: EOB
great points, foggy. in a nutshell, if u don't treat ur neighbors as u want them to treat u, u have a very high likilyhood of being disappointed. i always allow every neighbor to retrieve their deer. all i ask is they call before entering the property. a forer assistant on a large piece i managed used to always be upset with the neighbors. they were sitting too close to the line, shooting all our best yng bucks and, though he had no evidence to back it up, he "knew" they were running all over the place. then, he shot a buck that ran onto one of the neighbors. if i hadn't been with him, he would have waltzed onto their land without asking. i stopped him and texted the neighbor. he said go ahead and we got him. how can one realistically expect others to honor your requests if u won't do the same in return? sure, i get burned once in a while treating others as i expect to be treated, but no doubt it works far more than when u aren't willing to do for them what u want them 2 do for u.

Reactions: EOB
I've written on this topic before.....but one of the best things I did when I bought my land was to send out a letter of introduction to my neighbors. It was one page. I said that I bought the piece for recreational land and that hunting was pretty important to my family members. Named our family members and two friends that may use the property, and that I would be out there doing habitat work as much as possible. Invited anyone to have a look if they wanted. Said that I hoped they would help with any trespass issues and that I would do my level best to respect their land(s). Gave all my contact information.

Most of my neighbors said they really liked that letter and we were well-accepted soon after. I have done my best to be a good neighbor......and all my neighbors (I have 8) have done well by me too. A little respect for one-another goes a long way. I think when you put demands on people (especially early-on) that it does not sit well with the folks that have been there for a while. When your the new kid on the block......your the new kid....and may need to prove yourself.

Funny how your place is in Happy Valley, where everyone gets along.

I was blessed with a neighbor 15 years ago in MN that lined my fences with no trespassing signs, and deer stands a month after moving in. Drives on my property with his 4wheeler when ever he see's fit and used to let his dogs run wild. But I killed everyone of them that crossed on to my place so he quit buying them. The last few years him and his kid have taken a liking to my game cameras.

Funny how one area can be so good and another so shitty. In Missouri I have only one neighbor and he and his wife are the greatest people. Can't wait to get out of MN and get moved down there! Anyone want to buy some farms in MN? Hahahahahahaha!

Welcome back Mo! Stick around, ya can't help but get a warm, fuzzy feeling around here.