“Locals” attitude towards recreational vacant land owners

B

BJE80

So for those of you that own land but don't live in the area, how do the locals treat you? Are you an outsider? Any comments about driving up land prices?

I have some really good friendly neighbors and other people in the area I know that are nice as can be.
But there are some that I see at the local bar that give you grief and have a bad attitude about you being there and owning land. Some of the worst ones (while intoxicated) I've over heard, "They should go back where they came from". "Guys come up here with their city money and buy up all the land.

I live 2.5 hours south of my land and live 35 min north of Milwaukee but I apparently still get lumped in with the Milwaukee crowd by some up there. Heck I can't stand Milwaukee either.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be "lumped" into "that" crowd if you live anywhere from Kenosha to Green Bay and on over to Madison, so don't let it bother you.

You will be "lumped" into "that" crowd if you live anywhere from Kenosha to Green Bay and on over to Madison, so don't let it bother you.

So is this pretty common? Statewide? When I owned land in Taylor County near Price County I never ever got that feeling and everyone was always nice. I mean everyone.

My situation is nearly identical to yours. I have had nothing but good experiences with my permanent resident neighbors. We get along great. I have more issues with the transplants that moved up there from the twin cities and now think anyone else that buys hunting land is an "Outsider". I could care less what the regulars at the local watering hole think. Way I figure it, my taxes pay their heating assistance.

Try having IL plates. I don't talk to many people other than my immediate neighbors and most of them are really nice. I care less what the other locals think of me. While on the face I may look like a city slicker to them when I drive by, I know that I'm more of an outdoorsman at heart than 75% of them.

I hear very similar comments.

It doesnt help when people think that, because trying to approach them to talk about co-ops doesnt get a lot of positive feedback.

We dont have it real bad, but the locals do have an edge to them that they kind of oversee the local landscape.

I grew up as a local just over 2 hours north of the twin cities. For the vast majority of us the sh!t talking we did was in good fun. There was always a minority that would take their complaining too far and other locals would ignore them as well.

But our area didn't get the pressure and big $$ that areas around Brainerd or Alexandria MN would get. We had smaller towns and also smaller and fewer lakes. I can see how locals from some areas could get more frustrated with it, but probably still a minority.

I don't see that being an issue in most of North and Western WI.

So is this pretty common? Statewide? When I owned land in Taylor County near Price County I never ever got that feeling and everyone was always nice. I mean everyone.
Try having IL plates. I don't talk to many people other than my immediate neighbors and most of them are really nice. I care less what the other locals think of me. While on the face I may look like a city slicker to them when I drive by, I know that I'm more of an outdoorsman at heart than 75% of them.
LOL I was going to tell you to ask bueller how he feels living around Castle Rock and Petenwell. YIKES!:eek:

Hahahahah. I would not be caught dead with IL plates up there. ;)

This is certainly the case by me. It is a hardworking farming community. Most everyone up there hunts but they don't put a lot of effort into it like I do. It is just something they do because they have the land. I guarantee nobody that lives up there knows what a hinge cut even is much more less does it. The only people that actually do habitat stuff and work hard at hunting deer are the ones like me that own land just for hunting. Otherwise it is just farmers.

This is certainly the case by me. It is a hardworking farming community. Most everyone up there hunts but they don't put a lot of effort into it like I do. It is just something they do because they have the land. I guarantee nobody that lives up there knows what a hinge cut even is much more less does it. The only people that actually do habitat stuff and work hard at hunting deer are the ones like me that own land just for hunting. Otherwise it is just farmers.
Hinge cuts are a waste of firewood to those folks.

I don't see that being an issue in most of North and Western WI.

Define "north". North of 29? Hwy 64? Hwy 8?

I think folks north of Hwy 8 are just glad to have neighbors, I don't think they care if you are from the moon.

I think folks north of Hwy 8 are just glad to have neighbors, I don't think they care if you are from the moon.

From my experience the far north (north of hwy 8 and maybe north of 64) everyone is really nice. Its the people from Central Wisconsin that are A-holes. Dipper would be a good example. :D

Haha! That is a good way to describe how it was in our area of MN!

Several of my neighbors bought land about the same time as me, so we get along great. Some of the neighbors that have lived there for their whole life were not as friendly when we 1st bought land as they use to hunt the property that I bought. In the last few years they have become a lot more friendly and even stop to talk once in a while.

It helps that my boat and ATV's all have WI registration. And I don't dress like a dude from the city when I'm up there because I'm usually covered in dirt from working my butt off.

I think the locals don't mind as long as you bring up your daughters!

So for those of you that own land but don't live in the area, how do the locals treat you? Are you an outsider? Any comments about driving up land prices?

I have some really good friendly neighbors and other people in the area I know that are nice as can be.
But there are some that I see at the local bar that give you grief and have a bad attitude about you being there and owning land. Some of the worst ones (while intoxicated) I've over heard, "They should go back where they came from". "Guys come up here with their city money and buy up all the land.

I live 2.5 hours south of my land and live 35 min north of Milwaukee but I apparently still get lumped in with the Milwaukee crowd by some up there. Heck I can't stand Milwaukee either.
I live 30 miles south of Milwaukee, my land is 300 miles north. Every time I go up there, they ask me " how's things in the big city". Kind of pisses me off. I grew up in a town smaller than the one by my land. When I first bought my land the neighbors came over and were really friendly. They asked if they could drive my land one the last day of the season. I said sure. I then learned from all the other locals that nobody likes these guys and the trespass all the time.I called them next year and asked them to stay off of there from now on. They haven't evened looked or waived in 7 years. Oh well.

I kinda fit somewhere in the middle in some ways. I live close to my land and other properties that i have permission to hunt. My family on both my mom's and dad's sides are from this county....my dad's side goes back to some of the original settlers of the area. I wasn't born here and I didnt live here until 2006. I did however spend a lot of time in this area throughout my life because most of my family and extended family lived here. To some I'm a transplant, but to others my last name carries weight because of my family's long history in the area. My dad and I own and operate a local business as well so that helps. This is a very small rural area. We are within 3.5 hrs of NYC and 2.5 of Philly....get a lot of flatlanders as they are referred to locally that own land or at least cabins/camps up here....lots of public land to hunt so you dont have to own enough land to hunt as long as you have a place to stay. Quite a few of the "flatlanders" are generally good people...but like any group...there are plenty of bad seeds.