“Locals” attitude towards recreational vacant land owners

Welcome back Mo! Stick around, ya can't help but get a warm, fuzzy feeling around here.

No Thanks!

Nice avatar MO!

Not enough can be said for good neighbors. I could care less if they live on the property, live in town or across the country. Folks that respect property lines and respect people in general can be a hard thing to find these days. I ALWAYS call my neighbors when I need to track a deer. I have an open invite on many of them, but I still call. I even had an issue earlier this year where a neighbor allowed a hunter and the hunter hung a stand on my property. I spoke to the neighbor in person and the issue was resolved - no dust stirred.

I have never had much trouble with neighbors as I take a "below the radar" approach. Everyone knows when a new guy buys a property as word spreads pretty fast. The pre-conceptions about who you are have already been established. Your first contact will either remove or re-enforce these views.

On my first property 15 years ago, I spent time trying to protect my land by putting up no trespassing signs. This was a waste of time as it only tells everyone a newbie is on the block and is no deterrence to the violators. Tried to talk QDM and that was a waste of time as people always do what is in their self interest, or they resent you for telling them how to hunt.

Over the years my approach has been to spend more time learning about my neighbors and taking an interest in them and their lives. If they need help with a project, I show up to help. I let them bring up deer hunting and listen more than prattling on about my thoughts. My wife and I will stop by their place sometime just to say hi with no agenda. The local farmer who rents my ag land, I work out an acceptable deal, I don't try to get top $$. My approach is slow and steady until I know more about the person. I also look to identify who the neighborhood "Rabbis" are, the quiet guys who know everyone and everything that goes on. I seek to build trust first before a forced friendship with them. If you handle it right, these are the guys that can make or break your reputation.

I think too many people today are self absorbed Face Book types who want to talk about them selves and what they know. This doesn't go over well with rural folks. They are usually a hard working bunch who have seen many out town property owners come and go. I have some very good neighbors that are now friends. We share info about the deer herd, complain about politics, and crack open a cold one occasionally.

I have found that slow, steady, and low key usually is a good approach ...

With the passage of time I have noticed the feelings towards absentee landowners has changed. The olders that remember when you could go anywhere and hunt anywhere you ended up are getting too old to get out and a lot of the youngsters didn't grow up with that type of background and in our area actually going hunting for deer is definitely not as in vogue as simply being an opportunist and just seeing a deer around their house and shooting it.

We are absentee landowners but I can still get to our land and back to work in less than an hour and My neighbors know I can and have been there at any time. My neighbors also know I am a huge camera nut and pretty much anywhere you go on the property your image will be captured or you will be on video. My immediate neighbors wave every time they see me. We have had 0 issues but if we lived in another state I am not sure I could say the same. We will be living on the property full time in about 60 days once our house is done...

I try and treat our neighbors as I would like to be treated - firm but fair!

I'm a local landowner and all around me are local. I'd really like some absentee landowners. Anything's got to be better than what I have now.