Zone 3 Apple tree recommendations for deer

Sorry for the incomplete site address - I copied it exactly as it appeared on a Google search heading. The main thing is Wiscwhip bailed me out and you have the info. Interesting stuff and some varieties I've never heard of. Maybe you North-country gents can lay your hands on some of these varieties or do some grafting to get what you need. Good luck with your efforts.

Viking with Car resistance might be interesting from the link.

I found another site that has fruit trees propagated in Canada. www.Hardyfruittrees.ca has apples they say can withstand temps. down to -52F. The nursery is 1 hr. north of Montreal. Some of their stock had origins in Alberta, Manitoba, Sask. & Quebec. Seems like good info there. ( I tried the site address as it's printed above & it worked ! )

I ran into a Haralson (Haralred) that was about in 15 leaf or so and was completely dead after last winter. It was up in zone 3. Chestnut crab in twenty leaf and about 2 miles away survived. As did a 2nd leaf chestnut and a seedling crab I had given to an older couple.

The older chestnut crab has a fair amount of apples on it.

Wow. That's got to be heartbreaking to have that happen after that long. I would have thought the area covered in snow would have been insulated enough to protect the tree roots and main trunk enough from the cold to keep it alive?? Any chance mice , gophers, or voles could have girdled the roots or was it just too cold up there last winter??
I will take a close look at it when I am up north next time. If the owners have not cut it down. It was fenced for deer and mice/gophers do not usually bother a tree of that age.

When you are talking about planting apple trees as a food plot you have to be first clear about what are your intentions. Do you want apples strictly for the deer or do you want some to eat some apples, yourself, also. If it is strictly for deer you have lots of inexpensive choices. My suggestion would be to buy either dolgo or B118 rootstock - both of which you can get very inexpensively from Willamette nursery or Lawyer nursery. They are both vigorous growers, rapidly produce fruit (lots of it) and the deer will eat them. The trees are very cheap and hardy - Dolgos will grow in Alaska, even. If YOU also want to eat some of the apples, then the expense goes up somewhat because now you are looking at grafted apples. Here I would go with one of the many "no spray" apples like Enterprise or Liberty or Freedom where you will get good apples without much trouble. Someone mentioned Nova Easygrow. It is not a good choice for a food plot. It fruits early meaning in the summer or late summer when most areas do not permit hunting. It is a very sweet apple and sort of boring - no balance of sweet and acid. It is strictly a grafted apple so it is expensive.

If you want to feed both you and the deer - go with one Enterprise, one Liberty - both are no spray - and the rest dolgo and/or B118 rootstock. The deer will go for YOUR apples first so forget about anything within their reach. After they eat up all of your apples, they will next go for the dolgos and B118 - both of which trees are dirt cheap to buy. Another good compromise is Kerr seedlings or antonovka seedlings - both of which can survive the coldest zones and both of which produce fruit which you and the deer can eat. Not the best apples to eat but edible enough - some people even go out of their way to get them as people food. There are better apples but these two can survive zones 1 or 2 without blinking. The Russians claim they can even grown them in Siberia .....not sure if that is an exaggeration but so they say. Pristine is a good yellow summer apple and is no spray - drops its fruit (lovely yellow large apples - all disease free) all over the ground in July - so Bambi will come running for it. Unless your area permits hunting in the summer, it will do you no good in the food plot. Bambi esp loves this particular apple - one of his very favorites, in fact, and it makes great pies.

Also don't forget about pear rootstock. Deer like pears also. OF x F333 is cheap as rootstock and makes an OK pear to eat. Deer are not picky. They produce pears which are smallish but tasty - not the greatest pears but perfectly fine for most people to snack on. It will keep both you and the deer happy and there is no work involved. Another "no work involved" pear is Maxine pear (Stark calls them Starking delicious). You will have more pears - and huge pears, at that - than you know what to do with. With 10 of these trees, you both will have more pears than either you or Bambi can ever eat and they are totally disease free. With these trees, you don't have to do an absolute thing to get perfect pears and more of them than than you can possibly consume. It will keep both you and Bambi quite well fed. Maxine is a grafted tree not a seedling, however, so it will cost you more initially. For a food plot, buy them whole sale if you are going to buy lots of them. By contrast Bartlett pear rootstock is cheap and commonly makes some good pears and also some not so good pears but the deer will eat all of them anyway - good or otherwise...... that is, AFTER they eat up all your best pears. Barlett is fireblight susceptible so don't plant this rootstock in areas where this disease is a problem. Dead trees don't do you a whole lot of good. Whatever you do, do NOT buy betufolia pear rootstock. It makes totally worthless tiny fruit that even Bambi won't eat. It is an aggressive tree with big thorns. It grows so rapidly that if you turn your back on it, it will overgrow it's site and come and get you while you sleep. It is susceptible to no disease and it will grow sky high in but a few years. Too bad it makes such worthless fruit. It is near impossible to kill this tree. I use it strictly as a rootstock for grafting pears. Absolutely do NOT buy it for a food plot.

Remember, all trees need protection from Bambi until about 6 feet or so hence plan on building small wire fences around each tree. Sometimes I grow them in 7 gallon pots until they are six feet then I plant them with just a vinyl wrap. In that case, you can dispense with the initial fencing. Absent that, the deer will eat ALL of your seedlings right down to the ground as soon as you put them in. They won't last even a week. Bambi loves apples. His next favorite food is apple seedlings and he is not smart enough to know that if he eats up all the seedlings, he won't get any apples. These animals are not rocket scientists.

Last edited:
I think we would all love to see the fruit of b118, somthing we have all been asking for awhile now. Lois if you have any pics of b118 fruit that would be greatly helpful

I have a facebook page under my name which has some pics of my orchards and farm. Most of the trees have grown up considerably since those photos and we have a whole lot more trees. We have about 300 trees now - not all apple. There is a photo of B118 in bloom somewhere on the internet and it was posted by a hunter who had a food plot. I have been looking for it myself. I wish I downloaded it when I first saw it. Anyway, the tree makes very dark pink blossoms - really pretty and then it makes dark red fruit. The real name for this tree is Budagovski 54-118 although most everyone calls it B118. Go to google and put in Budagovski 54-118 then hit "images" It will be the first hit and it will bring up pictures of the fruit. They are actually edible but not the best tasting apple you will every eat. If it is for a food plot, the deer will absolutely eat them. The tree is very showy when in bloom and the blooms are very pink - not a pale pink but a solid pink. All things considered, it is a very useful tree and when purchased as a rootstock, it is very inexpensive. Just remember that if you are building a food plot you have to have a certain amount of other trees for purposes of pollination. Dolgo seedlings fit the bill very nicely on this count. People will tell you that Dolgo seedlings "breed true" Don't you believe it. They absolutely do NOT do so. My 10 Dolgo seedlings - purchased from Lawyer nursery at something like a buck a piece back in 2008 or 2009 - are all quite different from one another. Let's not forget that Kerr is Haralson x Dolgo. There IS such a thing as clonal dolgo rootstock and Willamette nursery sells them. Those are all exactly the same.

Also, don't overlook your State nursery. I live in PA (northeast) and my state sells domestic apple seedlings for about 15 cents each when purchased in bundles of 25 or 50. Typically, the State will sell a variety of other mast trees that attract wildlife. Normally, the State nursery is funded with hunting and fishing license revenues. That is your absolutely best best for food plots. You can never do better price-wise than the State if you are looking for food plot trees. What I do is to plant the seedlings in nursery pots (you buy these wholesale) above the ground for two years so that the winter will kill off everything but the most hardy. If the tree has survived two years in pots above the ground in your zone, it will be hardy enough to survive your winters in ground. By the third year they are typically tall enough to go in the ground with just a vinyl wrap around the trunk. When choosing among the potted trees to plant in your food plot, chose the ones that have a tall straight tree forms versus the "crab-apple" form because, just like you, Bambi likes big apples better than crabs.

Last edited:
That page you found is fascinating. I loved that site when I first found it. Some of those apples are really red! B-118 is part of this "crowd" although it is not really very red-fleshed There is an interesting story behind those apples. This man, Ettinger, was fascinated with red-fleshed apples and so he did some 50-100 crosses in 1949 and planted the seedlings. He also grafted a whole bunch of potential red flesh scions, as well. Then, it seems the man died the following year so he never followed upon this project. His acreage went into disrepair and his orchards "turned wild" Some 70 or so years later, a couple purchased his land and they developed many of those apples pictured via "hunting" in the overgrown orchards and "finding" all sorts of red-fleshed apples which grew up from the seedlings Ettinger had planted decades earlier. He sort of started a "hotbed" of red fleshed apples and now the couple still finds new ones hidden in the "forest" of trees and brush. These apples are not eligible for patents because they are not newly developed and bred. You can't patent an old apple which you found (but did not breed) but you can trademark them and that is what this couple did. Patents expire; trademarks can be renewed indefinitely. So people CAN legally propagate all of these apples but they cannot use the same name - much to the chagrin of the people who run that website. You could buy one of those apples and legally propagate it all you want BUT you cannot refer to the tree you created by the same name. Makes for a whole lot of confusion. People now are buying their trees and marketing the trees/apples under different names. Stark Bros, the all time master of marketing, does this commonly whenever they find something they want but can't patent it. They change the name of of the fruit which comes to their attention and then give it a trademark. That is how the Maxine pear became the "Starking Delicious pear" BTW, many really good apples came off patent recently, the most notable example being the Honeycrisp apple. Anyone may now freely propagate this great apple and then sell the trees or scion wood to others.

Lois-thank you for providing all of the great information.

My Nova Easy gro is in the orchard by my house.

When does B 118 drop it's apples?? I have 2 B118's in the ground and one in a rootrapper that has reached about 5 foot height.

Do you have information on Columbia?

Sandur,

I am not sure when B118 drops it's apples because all of mine which fruited were in pots in my enclosures - 3 of the fruiting ones just got planted this year about 2 weeks ago. When they fruit in pots, it is unreliable as to when they will drop their apples. The tree is clearly precocious. I can answer that for you next year. What is a "roottrapper?" I keep hearing that term on this forum. I was quite disappointed with the Nova Easygrow - too sweet for me. I like a combination of sweet and tang - what they call "subacid." Of course, if you like only sweet then you may like it just fine. It is a no spray and it came out of British Columbia. You asked about "Columbia" I am not sure what you are referencing. Do you mean there is an apple cultivar called "Columbia." If so, I have never heard of it. I did a google search for it and nothing came up. If the apple you have in mind came out of British Columbia then it will be hardy enough.

The most famous hardy apple of all is called "Wealthy." It was developed by a man called Peter Gideon and devoted his whole life to developing it. He lived in the 1800s and desperately wanted to grow apples in MN - having moved there from prime apple growing territory. All of his attempts failed. Finally he was down to his last $8.00 and he faced a choice of buying a shirt desperately needed or buying a barrel of seed from an orchard in Maine. He opted for the latter and cut his overall pants and sewed them onto his shirt to use as shirt sleeves. In those days people were dirt poor and $8.00 was all he had. They did not have any of the social safety nets we have in place today. He planted the seeds and all died except for ONE tree which was alive the following spring after a particularly harsh MN winter. He named it after his wife Wealthy Hull Gideon. From that one tree, came all of the University of MN hardy apple stock cultivars. They all trace back to Wealthy and most of them also trace back to Malinda. Some guy brought scions of Malinda over from Illinois and it thrived in cold MN. Haralson is a cross between wealthy and malinda. If its cold hardy you want, that is one of your best choices. Until Gideon came to MN, people believed you could not grow apples there. He proved otherwise but nearly starved to death in the process. The story does have a happy ending. He got hired as a superintendent of some government station which grew - whatever (don't recall) and he died years later after having enough money to feed his family from that point on. My husband tells me that some city in MN is officially the coldest place in the continental US. Yikes! Can you all grow any pears at all up there?

I have a Firecracker crab. It is not all it is cracked up to be. Does not look all that great and it is VERY sour. It is a good pollinizer but that is about it. I don't recommend it. Anyone can do what Stark does. You can take a trademarked apple, re-name it and propagate it then sell it in your driveway to anyone who wants to buy it. You can even state "exactly the same tree as Stark's xyz" You can not legally propagate a patented apple even if you were to rename it but who is really going to go out and do DNA testing to prove that is what you did. You would have to be tremendously successful at what you were doing for one of the big nurseries to buy your apples and then send them for DNA testing to prove that you are propagating one of their patented apple. Stark is a master marketer. Don't have time to tell their famous stories now but if someone is interested, remind me later to tell the ingenious ways in which they generated interest in their Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples. These guys knew how to come up with schemes to arouse public interest in their products and I must say some of them were rather clever. If anyone is interested in the stories, post a comment and I'll tell the stories tonight.

Too bad Peter Gideon was not into pears - if he was sounds like you would have some more of them to grow up north. Can you imagine being down to your last eight dollars and buying apple seeds instead of food. It is said that he and his family were literally starving during this time period. I guess this man really DID want to grow apples in MN. Like I said, the story had a happy ending. He got the proverbial "government job" and his family ate thereafter.

Add Stark Bros. "Firecracker Crab" to those that they rename and trademark (as Lois stated). Firecracker crab is also known as Bill's Red Flesh crab and Scarlet Surprise.

Stark used to sell them under the name Bill's Red Flesh crab..they must have got the new name trademarked and then started selling them as Firecracker crab.

I've grafted 2 scarlett surprise I grafted to B.118 this past spring. Didn't even know it was a crab.

I believe applecrab is used for apples which are at least 2 inches around and crab apple is for those less than 2 inches. An apple is 3 or more inches around. The Kerr is an applecrab, the Dolgo is a crab and Haralson is an apple proper.

Yikes those rootrappers are expensive!. I hope you guys are not paying $5.49 each for them. You can buy 5 and 7 gallon nursery pots wholesale for much less and then use them many times over. I am paying approximately $40 and $72 per sleeve for 5 gal and 7 gal respectively with roughly 40 count each. Much, much less for smaller pots. I buy the stakes for the tree cages wholesale as well although that is tricky because freight is so expensive on the stakes. I just bought 500 stakes for 72 cents each with $150 freight charge. That comes to about a buck a stake. My usual wholesaler kept raising the price until this year he wanted almost $3.00 per stake hence I dropped him. The one thing I can't buy whole sale is the wire for the cages because I can't afford the freight. For me, anyway, the problem problem with the 7 gal problem is that I, as a woman, can't lift them (I have to drag them) but I can easily handle the 5 gal pots. For the 7 gallon pots, I have to rely on my husband who can lift them easily. I have seen him grab two at a time - one in each hand. I would guess that most of the people who are hunting and looking to set up food plots are men so I don't think the 7 gallon pots should be a problem in that case.

Yes, but they're few and far between. Summercrisp, Flemish Beauty, Ure, Gourment, Luscious, Patten, and Parker are what UM recommends here. Most of those are only recommended in the southern half of the state though. Southern MN and northern MN are world's apart in habitat and weather.

As for Wealthy apples, mine did come through last winter here. The coldest one in 114 years according to local news sources.

Agreed from the farmers that I talk to as far as pears in the northern 1/2 of Mn. Probably the northern 2/3 of Mn.
I have seen propane tanks freeze up twice and that occurs at about -45 or so.

Scarlet surprise is not a crab - it is actually an apple. Whoever "Bill" was, he had Bill's redflesh apple which got renamed to Scarlet Surprise and he also had "Bill's redflesh crab" which got renamed to Firecracker crab. I never tasted the Scarlet Surprise so I can't comment. I can speak first hand about the crab and there is really nothing to recommend it. It it is very sour and, as far as I am concerned, it does not look all that great, either. It is dark red and sort of oval shaped. I don't really see any great reason to get it unless you want a pollinizer. There are better crabs for mast. There is one case where I can see getting this crab. For those people who are into making crabapple jelly and crab apple preserves, then the usual golden colored jelly would now be bright red so I suppose that might be a reason to get the crab, otherwise, I'd recommend you pass on it. The absolute BEST crab in my book is the Chestunut crab and I do believe that one is cold hardy. It comes out of the U of MN circa 1946. It is my favorite apple all around, bar none. It DOES have a nutty flavor just like they say and it is absolutely addicting. It has a flavor like nothing else you've ever eaten apple-wise. Like all crabs, it is a good pollinizer.

For you guys who are hunters and want to attract Bambi, let me tell you about my Red Astrachan. I will try to upload a pdf file which shows you this 60 foot wide tree (I kid you not). Bambi literally worships at the alter of this tree. The grass surrounding this tree is always covered with Bambi-poop. Bambi likes to "hang out" around the tree. The tree originated in Russia so it is plenty hardy. The ground beneath it is literally covered with apples. The only problem with this apple from a hunting perspective is that it is an early one so whether you want it as mast would depend on when hunting is permitted in your area. It tastes great eaten right off the tree and makes great pies. It sells very well also - people buy them readily. That is the same problem with a lot of Russian apples. They are extremely hardy - Russia knows a thing or two about cold winters - BUT they bear fruit relatively early in the season. I am going to try to upload a file which shows the tree.

Attachments

• Astrachan_1.jpg
    Astrachan_1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
45 below!!!!!!! Yikes, I am getting heart palpitations. I can't even fathom such a thing. It is a concept which is surreal to me. I am 5b and even that is way too cold for me.

Lois-if you have enough cold days, you should try chestnut crab. It is one of my favorites. I can't remember what they call it, but something like chill hours.

I have a firecracker in about 3 or 4 leaf and am waiting for it to fruit.

From what I understand, Columbia is a rootstock crab that was used by Baileys (Mn. supplier) in the past and also by a nursery in Montana. An older fellow from the IMG_8983.JPG

Bitterroots told me that he can no longer get Colombia rootstock out of Canada. I suspect it is a good deer crab. I think I have one in my yard.

Here is a B118 in a trapper alongside a chestnut crab on B118 (shorter one is chestnut crab)

Lois-I see the chestnut is also your favorite apple. I just had two or three tonight after the dolgo applesauce.