WTH?

My lake home taxes in Minnesota jumped 25%! It’s just a joke, they won’t reduce taxes if the market drops. If they do it will take years.
That's what I am most curious about. We do mass appraisal so I need volume of sales. Since we need so many sales, we use the previous 3 year's worth and trend to current if necessary. I have seen a single year blip that was propped up by the other 2, so you never saw a difference. I am curious what a real recession would look like. I think we are up 30% total from 3 years ago. That came as an 11%, 12% and 5% over those three years respectively. I wonder how long it would take to see an appreciable drop in our values.

That's what I am most curious about. We do mass appraisal so I need volume of sales. Since we need so many sales, we use the previous 3 year's worth and trend to current if necessary. I have seen a single year blip that was propped up by the other 2, so you never saw a difference. I am curious what a real recession would look like. I think we are up 30% total from 3 years ago. That came as an 11%, 12% and 5% over those three years respectively. I wonder how long it would take to see an appreciable drop in our values.
I don't think it's coming man. We're into hyperdrive on printing money now. We'll be at a trillion dollars every 60 days before the end of this year. We're at a trillion every 75 days right now, and that's also scary. The ole dollar is going down. We'll all be starving billionaires soon.

And the elderly are going to sell all their land to the government to be able to stay on it, and that will reduce the tax base and make this even worse.

I don't think it's coming man. We're into hyperdrive on printing money now. We'll be at a trillion dollars every 60 days before the end of this year. We're at a trillion every 75 days right now, and that's also scary. The ole dollar is going down. We'll all be starving billionaires soon.
Zimbabwe.........

Stop it! ......your scaring me.

I am a County Appraiser in Kansas (Assessor in some states). With the exception of Ag ground, we are required to value at market. Our legislature put in place a law that required taxing entities to publish a tax rate that would offset the increase in value (Revenue Neutral Rate) each year and hold a public hearing if they intended to exceed that rate. I think the intent was to keep them honest. It has done no such thing. These crooks have used the increase in the real estate market to raise taxes year over year for as long as I have been doing this, but the last few years have been insane!

So you're what Granny Clampet called a "revenuer"?

Seriously, how do you determine the difference between "forest" land and land that's non-productive?

I've got plenty of acres that grow cattails, small cedars, and tag alders and I'm being taxed as forest land. My opinion is if it can't qualify for MFL it shouldn't be taxed as forest land.

I the counties around me you better have a forestry plan or have done a timber harvest to keep timber and waste land from being taxed as Rec land.CRP will also stay as ag land so there are other benefits to projects.I am meeting with state forester in a couple weeks to look at my new 80 to work on forestry plan.As far as taxes i see both sides and as Tmax stated Kansas did the RNR which can hurt the small rural areas but keeps the big cities somewhat under control.What we saw was say a Fire Department in a big city was taxing at 10 mills and they got a new 200 million dollar shopping mall they got a huge budget increase by staying at 10 mills but the RNR somewhat controls that.The only issue is that now they have 200 million more in property they have to protect with little increase in budget.Then a FD like mine is a small rural department and got a grant back in 2001 for a engine that cost around 135,000 now it's probably between 250-300 thousand to replace and they are supposed to be replaced every 20 years

I the counties around me you better have a forestry plan or have done a timber harvest to keep timber and waste land from being taxed as Rec land.CRP will also stay as ag land so there are other benefits to projects.I am meeting with state forester in a couple weeks to look at my new 80 to work on forestry plan.As far as taxes i see both sides and as Tmax stated Kansas did the RNR which can hurt the small rural areas but keeps the big cities somewhat under control.What we saw was say a Fire Department in a big city was taxing at 10 mills and they got a new 200 million dollar shopping mall they got a huge budget increase by staying at 10 mills but the RNR somewhat controls that.The only issue is that now they have 200 million more in property they have to protect with little increase in budget.Then a FD like mine is a small rural department and got a grant back in 2001 for a engine that cost around 135,000 now it's probably between 250-300 thousand to replace and they are supposed to be replaced every 20 years

Is this your Kansas place? Shoot me a PM. There are provisions in the statute to allow hunting land to be classed as ag.

There are also exemptions in the RNR for entities with budgets under certain amounts, but I think they are tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana sucks too. I had a 60 Ac tillable I sold 8-10 years ago, the taxes were up to $1200 on it then. I have almost 400 ac in MO and the taxes are $800.

I don't have an issue on mine yet,I did help the neighbor a few years ago do a forestry plan and he got his changed but had to pay the 300.00 increase to 3000.00 the first year before he could protest.

I don't have an issue on mine yet,I did help the neighbor a few years ago do a forestry plan and he got his changed but had to pay the 300.00 increase to 3000.00 the first year before he could protest.

This is where a lot of Appraisers in Kansas miss the mark. They sometimes seem to relish the conflict. I feel like if you come to see me and you are mad, it is fine. If you leave mad, I didn’t do my job…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana sucks too. I had a 60 Ac tillable I sold 8-10 years ago, the taxes were up to $1200 on it then. I have almost 400 ac in MO and the taxes are $800.
but the taxes in my 2008 MO truck with 200,000 miles is almost that much on top of the land land. They get me for my tractor also. Still way way under taxes at home!