Would you ever buy something, not knowing what it is?

I have worked for big corporations but am a small business owner now and where I find the difference comes into play is scale. Mo I assume would be considered a small business owner. Our word and delivery on it is our first line of marketing. Big companies lack that. Doesn't make it good bad or indifferent in my mind, just is what it is. I much prefer to do business with people so I shop accordingly, sometimes pay less sometimes more. Some people shop for convenience and so they are target of the big boys. To get the attention of a convenience shopper takes a catch phrase or slogan, something to tip the scale thus the outlandish claims we so commonly see.

Ssmith, I am Willy over there as well.

John,

Thanks for this forum and for clarifying the qualities you expect here.

Everything has it place in life. I started with BOB but soon learned. They no longer have a place in my life. Like anything else it boils down to personal preference. AD's figures tell it like it is.

Glad to see this thread went the direction I intended it to go. There are some insightful responses.

Like every business niche, there are good ones, bad ones and others in between. That applies to cost as much as quality, and the two aren't always linked.

I do agree with MO & AD, though, that there is definitely some preying on the ignorant in this niche by some. It's capitalism and, despite being a big fan myself, capitalism has its share of warts.

With that, I'm off to play in the rain...have a good one.

I got a twist I'm curious about. I spent many years being an evil capitalist. What if your customer was the government?

Spent years selling electronic components commercially and to the Gov.

What would you do if:

A Gov contractor called and said A.O.G. (Aircraft on the ground)
Meaning they wanted this part NOW and anything else in your facility had to move behind their need.

You knew you were the only supplier that had the drawings to make the assembly and you were the only one that supplied this part for the past 15 years.

Your true cost to build was $300.

Would you charge:

$350, $600, $1200, $2500 how much? They had to buy and they pi$$ money away like kid on Friday night.

I know what I did, but I'm curious, you would?

Last edited:
Good I don't feel guilty.
$2500 with a 5 pc min order was my answer.

And they "always" lost the extra 4 before they needed another.

Glad to see this thread went the direction I intended it to go. There are some insightful responses.

I think there are some rip offs with buck on a bag companies - Alpha Doe's herbicide example showed this and I completely agree in that case.

But I do disagree if you are stating it's not possible to have a difference between generic, standard seeds of one species and seeds of the same species that have been selected via trials and subsequent breeding for specific traits (in this case, deer attraction). On the other site a couple months ago I referenced a trial I did last year with WI's Wintergreens and another WI turnip style blend. I planted those two WI blends on the same field as the same generic seeds from Welter's. They were planted in sections of the same field at the same time using the same fertilizer and the same planting methods. The deer simply hit WI's blends first and WI's blends grew taller. The deer did eventually eat all of the plants from Welter's, but it was clear that the deer preferred the Whitetail Institute blend. Is that slight difference worth the extra money - in some instances yes and in others no. If I was planting 10 acres, the cost difference would likely make me lean towards the lower priced generic option from Welter's. But if I only had an acre to work with, I would be fine with paying the premium for Whitetail Institute's product.

On a side note, I found 3 shed antlers in the WI plot and 0 in the Welter's plot.

I got a twist I'm curious about. I spent many years being an evil capitalist. What if your customer was the government?

What would you do if:

Meaning they wanted this part NOW and anything else in your facility had to move behind their need.

You knew you were the only supplier that had the drawings to make the assembly and you were the only one that supplied this part for the past 15 years.

Would you charge:

$350, $600, $1200, $2500 how much? They had to buy and they pi$$ money away like kid on Friday night.

$2500. The requirement to drop everything else and put them first in line justifies charging more. I would charge them $600 like everyone else if they went by the same rules as the other customers

What would you do if:

Would you charge:

I'd charge close too or the max. For a couple of reasons. 1st if the part was that important they should have stocked a spare, paying for your stupidity for a part that cheap not being stocked. 2nd Dropping all others is going to cost you.