Wisconsin- 2015 preliminary quota recommendations

All CDAC Committee quota recommendations approved as presented with no changes. I missed about 10 minutes of the question and answer session as I was on a phone call, but I do not believe there was any mention whatsoever of the fact that some of the counties failed to have a quorum for their final quota recommendation vote. I can't go back and watch the parts I missed until the live broadcast is over and they post the simulcast. Lots of congratulations and back patting going on about what a success the whole thing was, but not any mention of the failures in that area. The guy from the WI Wildlife Foundation who spoke stated that public participation was at a 3 year low for input on deer related issues, I don't know where they got their info from, but I would have thought the exact opposite with all the surveys and online stuff that was available. We have never had the amount of opportunities to give input as we have had over the last 12-18 months? Maybe everyone thought the CDAC Committees had it covered? I will be sending an email to all the board members later this week addressing the shortcomings of the Committees and their apparent lack of commitment to the public input on the preliminary recommendations, even though it is too late for this go around. This must be brought to their attention for future quota setting purposes. If they are just going to go with the preliminary number in the end, why even have the public comment on those preliminary quota numbers? In the Juneau Co Forest Zone, there was overwhelming feedback saying the preliminary tag quota was too high. From the ones I read, which was all of them, I saw only 5 or 6 of 60 plus replies that thought the numbers were good or should be raised, the other 90%+ of the respondents stated it was excessive, and to what end?
The DNR guy I was spoke with was in complete support with my suggestion that Juneau County CDAC shouldve called an emergency meeting after the lack of quorom in order to form a quorom and adjust the quotas. Problem is there wasn't much time in between the meeting and the date which the quota had to he submitted. Being the first go around for this I believe that this issue will be addressed and fixed for the future.

I agree bueller, the timespan was very short for anything to happen after the fact, but that isn't anyone's fault but the CDAC members who didn't show up for the planned meeting. I am not so optimistic that issues like this will just right themselves, and by bringing it to the attention of the Board, that will be a first step in having the issue "addressed". As far as "fixing" the issue, that will be up to the folks that make the rules for the CDAC Committees(DNR, NRB) and how they handle it will be very telling in how serious they are about "public input" in this process. We shall see.

bueller, was the guy you talked to named Bob Nack? He is speaking now.

Meeting over, yadda, yadda, yadda....the 2015 deer season will move forward as planned. DMAP appears to be getting a few more takers, mostly small and medium landowners and we finally have our first public land DMAP participants, Milwaukee Co Parks Dept and Madison Area Parks Dept., so maybe we will see some more urban hunting opportunities in those areas.

bueller, was the guy you talked to named Bob Nack? He is speaking now.
No it was Kevin Wallenfang. And like I've said his heart seems to be in the right place. He was aware of and knowledgeable on the areas of concerns with cdac process that I had and assuring me that they will be working to get it right.

Where can I read the results of the hunter input survey to see what others had to say? I couldn't find this following the link from the first post.

Where can I read the results of the hunter input survey to see what others had to say? I couldn't find this following the link from the first post.
They changed the site around and I no longer can find the public comments.

They changed the site around and I no longer can find the public comments.
That was quick, I just looked at them on the 4th or 5th of May.

That's interesting that the public comments are no longer accessible. Thinking the comments were maybe a little different than the final approved product?

Once again the 12 "no doe tag" counties will be subject to "youth, military and disabled" doe tags while gun party hunting ensures these tags will be filled. 3-5k antlerless will be taken in the no doe counties again. If the DNR were serious about building the herd in these counties they would not allow any antlerless taken for any reason.
Kaz and the DNR Deer Rep did speak about this being looked at, but it may be a legislative issue, so you are correct, unless the DNR/NRB instates an "emergency rule"(which they won't) this will not change for this upcoming season.

Once again the 12 "no doe tag" counties will be subject to "youth, military and disabled" doe tags while gun party hunting ensures these tags will be filled. 3-5k antlerless will be taken in the no doe counties again. If the DNR were serious about building the herd in these counties they would not allow any antlerless taken for any reason.

Yep and even with a mild winter with the youth, military, disabled, and crop damage permits along with the predators the herd will never grow. Last year was my last for going up North for the gun deer season. The DNR is worried about losing a few hunters by not closing antlerless to all hunters but in the long run will lose a lot more hunters when the herd up North never recovers.

Yep and even with a mild winter with the youth, military, disabled, and crop damage permits along with the predators the herd will never grow. Last year was my last for going up North for the gun deer season. The DNR is worried about losing a few hunters by not closing antlerless to all hunters but in the long run will lose a lot more hunters when the herd up North never recovers.
:( Sorry to hear that TT. Do you feel the guys who would "fight" the closing of antlerless to everyone regardless of tag type are locals or hunters who travel there from out of the area?

:( Sorry to hear that TT. Do you feel the guys who would "fight" the closing of antlerless to everyone regardless of tag type are locals or hunters who travel there from out of the area?

From what I have seen from the minutes from the CDAC meetings they also questioned all the antlerless that were shot last year. I think a lot of the antlerless that were shot last year were out of area hunters and then the locals saw that and thought if they are going to shoot antlerless we might as well to.

This is not a law yet, is it?
That's great news, hopefully that passes. There's no reason for an adult to fill a kid's antlerless tag.
As far as I know this is on the table for the legislature to look at, it has some support from my understanding. Unfortunately, to Ben's statement, it will be nearly unenforceable if people keep their mouth shut, so it may just be another one of those feel good laws they like to put on the books to make them look like they are trying to do something that actually makes a difference.:( The law should just be changed to not allow the use of any antlerless tag in "no antlerless kill" zones.

It would be tough to enforce, but it sure can't hurt. When we bought our WI licenses in Rusk County last year the guy behind the counter said he's never seen so many youth tags sold. Hard to tell if that is accurate or not, but he said everyone was buying their kids or grandkids licenses so they could fill them since adults couldn't buy doe tags. Judging by the doe kill in Ruck County despite a bucks only season framework it seems likely that adults were helping to fill a lot of the youth tags.