Winter Triticale vs Winter Rye

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I made the switch over to winter trit for this fall after seeing my winter trit growing among my rye. I promise you guys, I don't sell triticale, gypsum, lime, leaf blowers, mowers, books, video clicks, or flax.

But this is an interesting video. I saw the same biomass and stem thickness difference this guys shows. On mone, I actually saw the trit get 6-12" taller than rye a few feet away.

One difference, he's showing an 'awnletted' variety, which just means shorter awns. The variety I'm using is actually awnless. Anyway, if you want some nerd content for today, this is a quick watch and good contract between the two.

Last edited:
I was out this weekend looking at my various things. I had spread winter trit on my spoils pile to try to hold it in place and begin to aerate it while I waited for it to dry out. The deer came along and took off all the seed heads in the past couple weeks.

96a07d2cad0c0df9fd49c3f241dc3d9b.jpg

e36aad72131dc5238d02421032451475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Been reading and watching similar materials on Triticale. Only thing I wonder about is overwintering and spring green-up. Does it have those same attributes that Winter Rye has? The rye in early spring has been a real savior to deer some years.

Good video. That guy has good looking soil.

Talked to local seed company about triticale vs rye. The feedback I got was that several cattle producers preferred it. They reported improved weight gain. She also had a story about how one of her customers accidentally learned that goats preferred trit over rye.

My main Q’s are: weed suppression compared to rye and nutrient use/mining vs. rye. I still don’t feel like I know the answer.

The BUT in my waffling is this: I have farmers planting rye all around me. I’m doing something different for that reason alone. I’m adding triticale in some of my plots.

^ Been reading and watching similar materials on Triticale. Only thing I wonder about is overwintering and spring green-up. Does it have those same attributes that Winter Rye has? The rye in early spring has been a real savior to deer some years.
Yes, it greens up early, like rye.

After this past winter, I don't have any concerns about winter durability. I had no snow all winter, and mine came up great on that spoil pile. I think where you'll see growth differences is in how fast that surge in height and biomass happens. Rye will go faster in early june in our area. But trit outran rye on height and biomass in the end. The point of forage cereals is that they stay in the strike zone (best forage quality state) longer than rye. The window of time to get max tonnage and max feed quality in rye is in days, like 3-6 days and then quality will drop quickly. With forage wheat and forage trit, that window might be up to 4 weeks before it gets stemmy and drops it's leaves.

It was interesting to note the guy's take on root depth. I don't know how he could make that assessment based on 3" of root ball, but either way, you can't have that much above ground without having a lot below ground to pull it up. Whether that's down 30" or 48", cereals aren't your penetrator. That's gonna be your perennials anyway. A hot cluster of roots down 30" is still a huge win. There are other plants better at going down deep to mine and aerate.

Local dairy farmers plant a ton of triticale around me.

I don't want to be "that guy" but my supplier has triticale at double the cost of rye.

I do like the idea of an awnless variety that deer will eat the heads from though, but double is quite a bit.

I don't want to be "that guy" but my supplier has triticale at double the cost of rye.

I do like the idea of an awnless variety that deer will eat the heads from though, but double is quite a bit.
My thoughts exactly, the awnless trit is intriguing for that reason. My Rye supplier for the past 2 years now wants $30/bag though so I need to find a new source. I dont like the idea of giving up some of the weed controlling attributes of rye either.

My thoughts exactly, the awnless trit is intriguing for that reason. My Rye supplier for the past 2 years now wants $30/bag though so I need to find a new source. I dont like the idea of giving up some of the weed controlling attributes of rye either.
Dang bud, I'm getting it for $.26/lb. You definitely need a new supplier. $18-20/bag is on the high end around here.

That’s the hard part about big poundage seeds. I am lucky that I live right at the intersection of good rain and bad rain. The guys in the Dakotas need to know how to grow without rain, and in MN they don’t make any adjustments for rain. So there are lots of specialty cover crops here that can be had for farm prices, and people good hearted enough to deal with us ‘few bag’ clients.

I’ve paid stupid amounts of money to have specialty grains shipped to me from out of territory just to try them. But it’s been good. I got trit for $24/bag I think. Rye might have been $18 or $20?

I’ve paid stupid amounts of money to have specialty grains shipped to me from out of territory just to try them. But it’s been good. I got trit for $24/bag I thin

How much was the shipping?

Just looked- I paid $17-$18 a bag for rye grain and $22-$25 for trit last year. The cheaper triticale was Fridge and the other was not stated on the invoice. I didn’t keep track of any differences.

How much was the shipping?

$55/bag I believe. That’s been a couple years now.