All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cuttings

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
I’m going to propagate some willows this year in a number of different areas. These areas range from reed canary to wet muck. I am thinking I’ll have some success and some failure but you never know what works. I have plenty of willow on my property and will be using it as my cuttings.

How soon can I start to harvest the cuttings and how do I store them? Some of these cuttings are going to be several feet long so storing them in the fridge won’t work. If I cut them and plant them in a day or two is that soon enough or do I need to do something to them to keep them alive?

How soon can I start to propagate the cuttings, as soon as I can get them in the ground? I was thinking if I have a tool to punch a whole into the ground I would start just before the frost comes out of the ground.

How much of the cutting do I need under the soil? If I have a 4 foot cutting is 1 foot enough?

Do I need to put any type of root hormone on the cutting?

Thanks!

FB

I have very limited experience, but I prefer to have 75% of the cutting under the ground.
I use an old crow bar to punch a hole in the ground.

I have tried some in RC, and the longer the plastic is in place the better. Think of leaving it in place for years.

from what I see, sandbar willow might be a better choice for willow cuttings.