Wild plums & bear

3I0

A good 3 year old buck
Can anyone share any experience on how wild plum trees stand up to black bear? A supplier I have dealt with before just got some seedlings in - I don't think there are any wild plums that grow naturally around my area that I'm aware of, but I read that they can grow in zone 3 so I was thinking of planting some to see how they do. The goal is primarily to help diversify my property with some more browse species + fruit, and ideally let the suckering action fill in some areas over time.

We have a lot of bear here though. Short of a sentry gun there is probably not much else that would let apple trees survive long term in my area, so just curious if these are worth planting or not as an alternative way to try out a fruit tree/shrub.

I have seen the old farmstead plums in zone 3 and also some wild plums . I am not sure if they are/were Canadian or American wild plum.

My wild plum rootstock is doing well at the edge of zone 3 and throwing rootsuckers up to 20 feet from the older tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting Sandbur. When do your plums ripen and fall and do they produce a good amount of plums?

I deal with bears in NW WI. They have busted up my dolgo crabs twice and any wild cherry on my land has huge limbs broke off. I planted some plums hopeing they are tuff and will handle a bear attack. Plums are cheap, I would give them a shot.

Interesting Sandbur. When do your plums ripen and fall and do they produce a good amount of plums?

Usually August for them if my memory is correct. Fruit production is sporadic. Maybe every two or three years is a good crop.

My plum rootstock has bigger thorns than my farmstead plums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk