All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WI Turkey & Bear apps due Dec 10th

kabic

5 year old buck +
Just a reminder.

I'm not sure what season of turkey to put for my first preference. I cant do the A season that starts April 15, so I was thinking of putting the B season as my first choice....but I always do one of the early seasons...maybe I should try D season (May 5th)

I bought my bear point yesterday. I think that gives me 4. I won't have time for a tag, so I'll have to wait to 2016.
I haven't bought a turkey tag in 4 years.

Thanks for the reminder kabic! It seems like about every other or every third year I forget to apply and the only tags left after the draw are for the last 3 weeks. The last 3 weeks of the season suck, at least on public land in LaCrosse Co., not to mention the fact that you have to get up at like 3am to get to the woods before daylight if your hunting the last couple weeks of the season.

Thanks for the reminder.

I have turkey hunted wisconsin but not this year. I am now buying points for bear as a buddy of mine has a place near Winter Wisconsin and has tons of bear.

Last year we had bear hunters come near his property and we stopped to chat with them on the road. They had just lost a dog to wolves and were trying to close the deal on bear. Pretty risky running dogs in northern wisconsin these days. My buddy and his hunting group no longer hunt rabbits in northern wisconsin anymore becasue of the wolves.

The 1st season for turkey can be very good if Mother nature cooperates. The last 2 years the 1st season we had snow up to our butts. Makes for some hard walking and the turkeys didn't like it either.

Last edited:
After missing on my bear preference point last year I turned in my application the day it opened this year!

I always complain when I get the first turkey season and there is snow on the ground; however, when there's an early spring it means great hunting for public land birds. They get hit hard by us and get call shy very quick.

not to mention the fact that you have to get up at like 3am to get to the woods before daylight if your hunting the last couple weeks of the season.

That is a good point...

After missing on my bear preference point last year I turned in my application the day it opened this year!

I always complain when I get the first turkey season and there is snow on the ground; however, when there's an early spring it means great hunting for public land birds. They get hit hard by us and get call shy very quick.
One caveat to the early spring is that if it happens to come too early the toms are already henned-up before the season even starts. Makes harvesting dominant toms very difficult sometimes. This is what we encountered 3 seasons ago. 2 of us had tags for the first 2 seasons and we both ended up taking jakes because the big toms wouldn't leave the huge flocks of hens. The hens were having none of the calling either(even though other folks consider my hunting partner and myself pretty good callers), they moved the toms off in other directions every time. Jakes that had gotten their butts kicked by the big toms came in on a rope hoping to get 'em some and all they got were doses of hot lead.;):D

Very true. Spring turkey hunting success is determined by mother nature first then turkey hunting skill second haha.

Thanks ... we'll get r done ...

Nice tom, fall turkey hunting is way under estimated !!!

I forgot to apply while I was on vacation, so I just did while waiting for my flight at MSP.