Whoops haha

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
This OL boy is not happy hahaha

Yea I wish I had that problem, apparently he was supposed to shoot a cull deer?

This is the part of "hunting" I despise. It just has been turned into such a business where only the giant bucks matter and the rest of the animals don't seem to matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the part I "hunting" I despise. It just has been turned into such a business where only the giant bucks matter and the rest of the animals don't seem to matter.
Couldn't agree more my friend but still made me laugh. I have no interest in hunting at a place where I have to pass a 180. That's simply not in my blood!

This is the part I "hunting" I despise. It just has been turned into such a business where only the giant bucks matter and the rest of the animals don't seem to matter.
It's what happens when you turn a hobby into a business - it becomes driven by the money and not the love of the pursuit. I will always have much more pride in a deer off my place than any deer I take off of another property - I don't mean that as a slap to anyone. It's a work/reward thing with me. Even if I was hunting off my neighbors place - just the black and white of it to me.

This is the part of "hunting" I despise. It just has been turned into such a business where only the giant bucks matter and the rest of the animals don't seem to matter.

Deer hunting in South Texas is a lot different than any where else. I saw that video several years ago. Some say that that the video was staged. If it was for real I would imagine the guy that shot it wrote a check for around $10,000. Most of these big Ranches will have a guide along with you to tell you if it is a Management or Trophy buck. Saw something very similar this week on Matthews TV when Dave Watson's son was suppose to shoot a management buck and instead shot a 11 pointer. His Dad was not to happy. I had the opportunity to see what hunting was like in South Texas 16 years ago as my brother who is a Wildlife Biologist managed a 17,000 acre lease. It truly was an eye opener as far as the quality of bucks that were on the lease. Believe me all the deer matter down there it is just that it takes 5 to 7 years to get them to trophy status and a boat load of money. Just look at what we stick into our small acreages. My brother has moved on to Consulting now[lot more money] so I don't get to see this any more but it sure was fun just riding around and seeing numerous monster bucks.

Deer hunting in South Texas is a lot different than any where else. I saw that video several years ago. Some say that that the video was staged. If it was for real I would imagine the guy that shot it wrote a check for around $10,000. Most of these big Ranches will have a guide along with you to tell you if it is a Management or Trophy buck. Saw something very similar this week on Matthews TV when Dave Watson's son was suppose to shoot a management buck and instead shot a 11 pointer. His Dad was not to happy. I had the opportunity to see what hunting was like in South Texas 16 years ago as my brother who is a Wildlife Biologist managed a 17,000 acre lease. It truly was an eye opener as far as the quality of bucks that were on the lease. Believe me all the deer matter down there it is just that it takes 5 to 7 years to get them to trophy status and a boat load of money. Just look at what we stick into our small acreages. My brother has moved on to Consulting now[lot more money] so I don't get to see this any more but it sure was fun just riding around and seeing numerous monster bucks.

I know TT. But I feel strongly when people are actually getting angry or have to pay money because they shot the "wrong" deer it is butt load of horse crap. I feel very strongly about this. I know it is a business, I know why it is this way, I know why they are getting angry and I know why people have to pay money. I just don't feel businesses belong in hunting like that. To each his own.

To expand further, to me every time I'm hunting and a deer (buck, doe, fawn) shows itself I still get excited and a bit of adrenaline shot. They all mean something to me and I respect all deer. I hope that never changes for me.

To expand further, to me every time I'm hunting and a deer (buck, doe, fawn) shows itself I still get excited and a bit of adrenaline shot. They all mean something to me and I respect all deer. I hope that never changes for me.
If i get to a point where I loose that feeling - I'm going to start fishing!

I agree with you, just explaining how it is in Texas.

Well the video was only intended to be between friends they say on their website so I will retract my precious comment. Regardless, I'm sure this situation has happened to someone, somewhere and it is treated too much like a business.

Last edited:
I'll never have to worry about a problem like that.

If i get to a point where I loose that feeling - I'm going to start fishing!
I'll even go so far as to say that I even get a similar shot of adrenaline when I'm working a top water plug and get a fish taking swipes at it before hooking up with that fish. When the adrenal glands dry up I'm done...turn me out to pasture and let me meet my maker.

I stopped and talked to a crippled button buck and pet him on his forehead and neck the other day. He had been hit by a vehicle and was unable to use his hind end and was bleeding from his nose and mouth. Unfortunately, in PA it is illegal for me to dispatch an animal in this situation....this was a busy roadway near town otherwise I would have broken that law. He was panicked as I approached but I spoke calmy and knelt down and he became calm. His mother watched from about 75 yds away up on the hill. Putting dollar amounts on these animals is worthless as far as I'm concerned....Texas has never appealed to me in terms of deer hunting...this kinda reinforces that. These animals are invaluable and shouldn't be treated as commodities.

Group of idiots, the funniest part of a situation like this is once their attempt at hunting fame and glamour ends, their shallow mindset will leave them with nothing.

Name anything that the all-out pursuit of money HASN'T ruined. I agree that any game animal or fish should NOT be a commodity. Why does EVERYTHING have to be a competition ??? We now have T.V. shows that have people in the kitchen racing around " on the clock " screaming & yelling like idiots to win what ??? Impress who ???

What happened to just getting out hunting or fishing JUST TO ENJOY IT ?? You know - if you didn't shoot the biggest buck in the county, you didn't come home dejected and depressed, feeling like a failure. IMO, some things shouldn't have a price tag or " reputation " attached to them.

I HAVE to follow up. When I watch some of those " trophy " deer hunts on T.V. - especially the Texas ones - I just laugh. Try hunting in Pa. with the pressure deer get here and see if big bucks will come out in daylight hours into a 400 yd., wide open shooting lane and eat protein pellets off the ground !!! Try hunting here without dumping piles of yellow, high protein, something - something " crush " in a big opening & see how many " trophies " you take !!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!:p:p:p

I HAVE to follow up. When I watch some of those " trophy " deer hunts on T.V. - especially the Texas ones - I just laugh. Try hunting in Pa. with the pressure deer get here and see if big bucks will come out in daylight hours into a 400 yd., wide open shooting lane and eat protein pellets off the ground !!! Try hunting here without dumping piles of yellow, high protein, something - something " crush " in a big opening & see how many " trophies " you take !!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!:p:p:p
Yep I would love to see how these self proclaimed professional hunters would fair chasing our cagey, big woods whitetails. I love it when they say "we worked our tails off for this buck" then introduce the guild an say what a great place the outfitter has to offer. Cracks me up