Ruined my KS season before it started!

lazy_turtle

Yearling... With promise
Just here to complain. Haha.

This is my first year hunting as a KS resident, so I should have done more research. I live in eastern KS, and planned to hunt whitetails here the entire archery season. But, my in-laws have some land with muleys (rare) in western KS, so I put in to get drawn for a rifle any sex/any species tag. I'm realizing that I will only be able to hunt the 10 day rifle season in western KS. I was under the impression that could buy as many tags as you want, but only tag one of them.

So yeah... I only get to hunt 10 days this year for the unlikely mule deer to show up. Unless I just shoot some does.

So the purchase of the mule deer tag negates the whitetail archery tag…?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are only allowed 1 tag of any sorts that would allow for the taking of a buck in KS to my knowledge.

I will say the largest mule deer I’ve ever seen in my life was in SE Colorado in an area along a pinion canyon surrounded by high plains not in the mountains.

One of the few management regulations that KS still has right (1 buck State).

Enjoy your hunt. Mule deer numbers are dropping and aren't anywhere close to what they were a short time ago. Might be a rare opportunity to live in the "good old days".

Screenshot_20230912_202448_Chrome.jpg

One of the few management regulations that KS still has right (1 buck State).

Enjoy your hunt. Mule deer numbers are dropping and aren't anywhere close to what they were a short time ago. Might be a rare opportunity to live in the "good old days".

View attachment 57204
One reason we have nice bucks state wide

I hear your plight . I wish every state was a one buck state. That being said, as long as you only use one tag, I could see archery, gun hunts—with season over if you tag a buck .

^^^ KS has an "Any Deer Any Season" tag that let you hunt with any weapon that's legal during any season. But it's whitetail only, no mule deer.

Yeah I love the one buck rule coming from Missouri. I do wish you could buy multiple tags and only fulfill one. But not complaining about the regulations, only my lack of research.

If I happen to tag a big muley, I’ll be happy it turned out the way it did!

In Nebraska last I knew, havent had the need for anything but a landowner's tag in Nebraska since I moved, they have a any season general whitetail buck tag. Which would allow you to hunt any season with the appropriate weapon. I believe you can still kill 2 bucks in Nebraska. The issue for a long time was that if you tagged a buck early in archery season you had to decide which other season you would want to hunt, archery again, the 10 day gun season or muzzleloader season in December. Of course they charge a lot more for the any season tag but I liked that option when I was hunting some public ground as well. I agree, I do like the 1 buck only program as well as the fact that rifle season does not fall during the rut. It helps protect a lot of rutting bucks that are acting stupid enough to be killed with a rifle. Mule deer tags are generally more difficult to draw and far more restrictive as to where you can use them.

^^^ KS has an "Any Deer Any Season" tag that let you hunt with any weapon that's legal during any season. But it's whitetail only, no mule deer.
Is that tag good for anyone or just landowners? I guess I get the landowner tag and thought maybe that was just an option for landowners. However, I havent ever bought a KS deer tag that wasn't a landowners tag.

Is that tag good for anyone or just landowners? I guess I get the landowner tag and thought maybe that was just an option for landowners. However, I havent ever bought a KS deer tag that wasn't a landowners tag.
It's not a Hunt Your Own Land tag, but you do get a discount on it as a landowner. The any season tag allows you to hunt muzzleloader, archery, and rifle seasons anywhere in the state. I always buy it but wish it wasn't offered.

It's not a Hunt Your Own Land tag, but you do get a discount on it as a landowner. The any season tag allows you to hunt muzzleloader, archery, and rifle seasons anywhere in the state. I always buy it but wish it wasn't offered.
What is your argument against it? Just curios.... not looking to start a argument! LOL

What is your argument against it? Just curios.... not looking to start a argument! LOL
I think it affects leasing and outfitting in a way that's a negative for residents. Take away the any season tag and a lot of rifle hunters put down the crossbows and no longer need a full season lease. Land opens up and more bucks make it to maturity. Just the way I see it. I'm not the arguing type.

I can see how more bucks could potentially make it to maturity without the any season tag. Thats a hard one to scientifically prove though. Hard to know if a deer killed during archery season wouldn't have been killed during rifle season. I dont squat about the leasing situation, I would have made the assumption that a lease would cover all seasons regardless of what type of permit the hunter had. I didnt know that leases are season specific.

Lease is what you agree to could be anything a day a week a year a specific season whatever is agreed to. My leases are yearly I could likely make more money selling hunts but I don’t have the time to fool with that and I like group I’ve got. I’ve have been leasing to this same group for several years now. They are likely as excited as I am maybe more for the deer orchards I’ve planted in the last couple years to start producing.

Cat is right and the hunt your own land tag you have to own or I believe lease for ag.Check your rifle tag,I was thinking you applied for a Mule deer coupon but that didn't mean you could only shoot a MD.You are a resident,right.Check dates you might be able to muzzleload hunt whitetails or MD.Call the Kansas Wildlife and Parks ask for licensing

Any Season Whitetailed Deer. There used to be an Any Season Any Deer which included mule deer. I wasn’t aware they split that to rifle or archery only, but I haven’t looked at the regs for a while. Bummer on the limited opportunity, but if you have access you may be hunting the end of an era as Cat said.

Some screen shots of the regulations.

T-Max, you are right that it used to be for both species but they changed it some time back. I think they were looking for a solution when the mule deer numbers started to drop.

Screenshot_20230913_064245_Chrome.jpg

There is still a state wide either species tag but it' archery only.
Screenshot_20230913_064301_Chrome.jpg

And there is still a either species firearms tag but it's unit specific, and does not include archery gear.
Screenshot_20230913_064323_Chrome.jpg

I wish the any season tag was a resident option only. I don’t want to hammer on NR hunters, but I think there should be better options and therefore opportunity available to residents. I would pay 10 times what my tag currently costs to free up more opportunity for fellow residents if that’s what it took to offset the losses from NR tags.