Who carries a classic rifle?

I had a similar thread a little while ago. I love to talk rifles and and love to shoot anything. I don't know who first said it but I think Townsend Whelen often gets credit for it. "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I only somewhat agree. I have several rifles. Most of them are wood stocked. My favorites are my old Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Magnum and my CZ 550 Safari magnums in 375 H & H and 458 Win Mag. I consider those classics(I call them the twins). I have a Ruger Model 77 in 6.5 x 55 that's remarkably accurate even though Rugers sometimes get a bad rap. My most accurate rifle is another CZ in 243. Even my old shaky hands routinely get 1 inch or better groups at 100 yards. That's the only rifle I own that does that well with me shooting it. I'm sure others could do better.

I also have a couple with synthetic stocks that serve their purpose in bad weather and a truly gorgeous Ruger Number One in grey laminate and stainless chambered for 45/70. It's maybe not a classic but it sure is pretty. I'll try and post a pic after the weekend.

Well I love the number ones and will be getting in the stand with mine in a few mins. Mine is blues barrel and walnut stock in a 308. Not that old of a gun but she looks like a classic and feels the part as well.
On another note, I'm not sold on classic scopes!! Lol. My old BLR got left behind today due to the scope from the 60's finally have pooped the bed on me. I have had it rebuilt once already so time to move on from that I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is a mauser....czech cz 98/22. Next to it is czech vz 24...unfortunately I no longer have those 2 mausers....sold them

I couldn't tell from the pics. I noticed the rifle next to it as well and couldn't figure out what that one was.

Here are some pics I found of my Mauser (it was -10°F on this opening day, thankfully I lugged a sleeping bag out there).
20131123_084308_zpsnzwioeys.jpg

20131123_100417_zpskl1i0hde.jpg

It was built in 1943 by the Gustloff-Werke in Weimar (stamped bcd 43)

That's a great rifle. Not only is it a vintage rifle, it also has sentimental appeal as it was your gramp's war souvenir. I used to collect WWII US and German firearms. Love the feel of the Mauser action....but man, they kick like a mule.

That's a great rifle. Not only is it a vintage rifle, it also has sentimental appeal as it was your gramp's war souvenir. I used to collect WWII US and German firearms. Love the feel of the Mauser action....but man, they kick like a mule.

I don't think this one kicks too much. Not anything likey father-in-law's 7mm mag... That thing is a cannon!

I also have a later model, all original, Arisaka Type 99 that he brought back. This one has more cultural/historical value...it retains all the Emporor Magnolia Seals. It was built at the tail end of the war when the Japanese were doing all they could to just get weapons out the door... Mine has a crudely hand-carved stock with no refinement or sanding at all. Just rough it out and send it out.

I've never fired it, but I recently had the pin replaced for a working one (lots of these came back in intentionally non-working condition). The old-timey gunsmith I use Gabe it a solid once over and said it is in perfectly functional condition....just need to stumble on some ammo for it.

I don't think this one kicks too much. Not anything likey father-in-law's 7mm mag... That thing is a cannon!

I also have a later model, all original, Arisaka Type 99 that he brought back. This one has more cultural/historical value...it retains all the Emporor Magnolia Seals. It was built at the tail end of the war when the Japanese were doing all they could to just get weapons out the door... Mine has a crudely hand-carved stock with no refinement or sanding at all. Just rough it out and send it out.

I've never fired it, but I recently had the pin replaced for a working one (lots of these came back in intentionally non-working condition). The old-timey gunsmith I use Gabe it a solid once over and said it is in perfectly functional condition....just need to stumble on some ammo for it.

How did your grandfather manage to souvenir both a German and Japanese rifle? That's fairly rare. Navy guys could do it. Last year I bought a German and Japanese helmet from the son of a WWII Navy vet who served on both theaters. But it would have been rare for a GI to serve in both theaters. What unit was he with?

I have a 1917 Enfield...but I admit I took off the sportilized wood military stock and have put on a composite.

3rd from the left...I also have taken the K31 (far right) out a few times and also one of the SKS now that it has a choate scope mount

Is that pistol an FEG? I have an FEG 9X18

Is that pistol an FEG? I have an FEG 9X18

pistol is a CZ 52. 7.62x25 caliber. ..also now have a cz 82.

Had to leave the old girl home this afternoon.

That little green clover plot is 400 yards. I know she could do. It's just I've never calculated her true ballistic path.

a51c905973799338436e9ab263e5c278.jpg

f0b1cfb90f25e0411044e8ed9d16a132.png

a0393dfc3290f82d965ae428ee6c2c62.jpg

I promised a picture of some rifles. From the top down are the CZ in 375 H&H, another CZ in 45 Win Mag and the last one is the Ruger Numbe One in 45/70. The laminate is maybe not classic but both the 45/70 and the Number one are image.jpeg

Bill - I love the 7 mm mag. In fact my son and I both harvested deer yesterday with our 7mm mag rifles. We could talk guns forever - might make a great thread - but if I could have only one rifle it'd be the 7mm Remington Magnum. Throw in a .243 and a 375 H&H and pretty much anything is covered. Of course, what fun would that be if we had to have limits. Then we'd have the ideal practical battery, followed by the drean battery, followed by the ultimate battery.....

Bill - I love the 7 mm mag. In fact my son and I both harvested deer yesterday with our 7mm mag rifles. We could talk guns forever - might make a great thread - but if I could have only one rifle it'd be the 7mm Remington Magnum. Throw in a .243 and a 375 H&H and pretty much anything is covered. Of course, what fun would that be if we had to have limits. Then we'd have the ideal practical battery, followed by the drean battery, followed by the ultimate battery.....

My favorite gun by far. I've played with lots of bullets and powder charges. My longest kill was a 796 yard mule deer with a 120 grain nosler pushed by 64 grains IMR 4831.

Been dreaming of a .270 WSM because it shows flatter ballistics but I just can't justify it. I haven't hunted out west in years and with a farm in MO I don't see a trip real soon.

Model 700 in .280, Model 7 in 7.08, and a savage in 7.08. All wood stock.

fab82f3faa4da01a621dfab3017161c1.jpg

Called her by the wrong name. Game master not range master.
I got the newer Model 7600 Carbine(18" barrel) for my daughter just 2 years ago, in .30-06 . She was adamant about getting the wood stocked version. She knows they have their purpose, but she absolutely hates the "look" of synthetic stocks on firearms, dad taught her well.................:)

I personally shoot a Model 742 WoodsMaster in .30-06. It has the nice checkered walnut wood stock, but not the BDL version with the high comb. It is topped with 4x12 Bushnell Elite with Holden Ironsighter Over/Under Scope Mounts and the factory Remmy ramp style iron sights. Back in the day, almost every guy in our hunting camp of around 20 guys shot either a 740 or a 742 semi-auto, all in .30-06. We all shot 180 Remington Core-Lokt's religiously, so if someone was short on ammo or lost a clip, it was easy to borrow one until they could get to town to replace their own. Only a couple exceptions, one uncle shot and old Winchester lever in .32 Special and my other uncle shot a .308 7600 pump. Some guys say they have issues with them jamming, but if you keep them clean and especially keep the chamber nice, you should never have an issue.

you guys are using guns older than I am!
For the first year I was able to use my lever action 30-30 - now it isn't a classic gun as a Marlin 336CS but a lever 30-30 it about as classic a deer gun as I can think of.

How did your grandfather manage to souvenir both a German and Japanese rifle? That's fairly rare. Navy guys could do it. Last year I bought a German and Japanese helmet from the son of a WWII Navy vet who served on both theaters. But it would have been rare for a GI to serve in both theaters. What unit was he with?

He was in the Army Air Forces. I need to try to dig up more of the records on his service. He never talked about it and if it came up, he was very tight lipped. It always seemed like it wasn't that he didn't want to open up but rather that he just couldn't talk about it.

Deer hunt with a Rem. model 721 in .270. It was my Dad's rifle and has a slew of deer to it's credit. Shoots like a dream. Walnut stock, Leupold 3x9 matte scope. I also have a model 721 in .222 - also was Dad's. Many groundhogs were taken with that .222 by Dad. Tack-driver with custom loads.

Deer hunt with a Rem. model 721 in .270. It was my Dad's rifle and has a slew of deer to it's credit. Shoots like a dream. Walnut stock, Leupold 3x9 matte scope. I also have a model 721 in .222 - also was Dad's. Many groundhogs were taken with that .222 by Dad. Tack-driver with custom loads.

Love the 721. Simple but well built rifles.

I have taken out my pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 264 Winchester magnum caliber in the past. The value of these rifles now days makes me hesitant to take it out in the field today. My favorite is a Remington model 700 in 7mm Remington magnum. It was the version that was made with a blued stainless steel barrel for only a few years in the early 1970s. Better than average wood for sure and a deer dropper.

I agree I also have one of the ss blued versions.Remington told me they did this 1 year but I don't know.They will convert the safety so that you can open the bolt without taking off safety which is a good idea.I just sent mine back to them and they returned UPS.In fact sent several in.Making the classic safer.