Who carries a classic rifle?

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
Just wondering with all the new synthetics, stainless, carbon...etc. How many still carries a good old classic?
I personally have a few different rifles but prefer to carry the first rifle my dad ever gave me. It's an old Belgium made Browning lever action from the early 70's.
What y'all carrying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of a classic.......Winchester model 1886 deluxe takedown in 45/70

I call it the "Death Wand"

It's a heart stopper;

Occasionally, I carry my gramp's 1960's era Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer.

Natty. Nothing like carrying a gun that has been passed down thru family in my opinion. Lots of history and tradition in a gun like that!
H20fwler. Never thought of giving my rifle a name but I like it! Lol. Might just have to steal yours. Also that's a beautiful rifle.
Novemberforever. That's one rifle I've been wanting for a long time. American Classic for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natty. Nothing like carrying a gun that has been passed down thru family in my opinion. Lots of history and tradition in a gun like that!
H20fwler. Never thought of giving my rifle a name but I like it! Lol. Might just have to steal yours. Also that's a beautiful rifle.
Novemberforever. That's one rifle I've been wanting for a long time. American Classic for sure.

Thanks,
I've always been a fan of lever rifles and wanted a truly neat one for most of my adult life. Our local gun shop had that one for a couple years and I would stop in and fondle it like the kid in the Christmas Story movie, it was too high priced for me but around six years ago I ended up working a bunch of overtime and went in and worked out a deal on it. My wife was not happy with me and I didn't care at all!
At the time Ohio was shotgun and pistol only during gun so I just had fun shooting it..and brother does it shoot. It's got the longer half octagon barrel and will hit where I point it to way out there.
A couple years ago Ohio allowed straight walled rifles for deer gun and it was on. The 45/70 is a devastating cartridge for knockdown power and accuracy.The 500 grn shells are thumpers down range and shooting so I opt for the 300 grn jhp that doesn't kick near as much for hunting ...I still can't believe its legal here!

Have several rifles and a muzzle loader that I enjoy but my old favorite that I carry is my Browning A-Bolt 30-06 with BOSS system that I purchased back 1992.

I have several shotguns from my Dad along with a Browning A5 12 ga. that my grandfather had, passed down to my Dad, and now me.

My old 30.06 has a wood stock and forearm. I have an old Marlin 39A .22 that is a classic leaver action. I've got an old Weatherby Orion O/U and a much older Ithica Featherweight 20 gauge. I've got a .50 cal flintlock and I still have my first H&R single shot with interchangeable 20 guage/.30-30 barrels. Most of my other muzzleloaders and modern firearms have synthetic stocks and forearms.

Thanks,

Jack

Not super old but I hunt with my fathers Remington 700 30-06 my Mom gave to him for Christmas in 1975, two years before he passed.

Not super old but I hunt with my fathers Remington 700 30-06 my Mom gave to him for Christmas in 1975, two years before he passed.
That's the same rifle I hunted with as a kid, my dad's 700 BDL 30-06, the first rifle i bought was a 700 BDL in .270 and still use it. I have a Remington 742 that my dad bought in the late 50's that we use also.

I have a 1917 Enfield...but I admit I took off the sportilized wood military stock and have put on a composite.

3rd from the left...I also have taken the K31 (far right) out a few times and also one of the SKS now that it has a choate scope mount

I have a 1917 Enfield...but I admit I took off the sportilized wood military stock and have put on a composite.

3rd from the left...I also have taken the K31 (far right) out a few times and also one of the SKS now that it has a choate scope mount

Nice! Is that a German K98 far left?

I only use an 8mm Mauser that my grandfather brought back from the war. He had it sporterized with a nice stock and a Redfield 70 peep sight... I love that gun. I form my own brass from 30-06 casings and load full power rounds for it (factory ammo is way weak because of the unknown condition of many old guns).

I can shoot 1moa at 100yds with that thing. Action is smooth as butter after 75 years. Did I mention I love that gun?

For bow hunting I use my dad's Hoyt Pro Custom Recurve... 1964, 66" and pulls 42# @28. Holding that in the woods as I type this.

I prefer the old, quality made stuff over anything new.

Nice! Is that a German K98 far left?
Well it is a mauser....czech cz 98/22. Next to it is czech vz 24...unfortunately I no longer have those 2 mausers....sold them

Here are some pics I found of my Mauser (it was -10°F on this opening day, thankfully I lugged a sleeping bag out there).
20131123_084308_zpsnzwioeys.jpg

20131123_100417_zpskl1i0hde.jpg

It was built in 1943 by the Gustloff-Werke in Weimar (stamped bcd 43)

Last edited:
Here are some pics I found of my Mauser (it was -10°F on this opening day, thankfully I lugged a sleeping bag out there).
20131123_084308_zpsnzwioeys.jpg

20131123_100417_zpskl1i0hde.jpg

It was built in 1943 by the Gustloff-Werke in Weimar (stamped bcd 43)

I like that iron site ... :)

I like that iron site ... :)
It's a Redfield 70. Supposed to have large cup apertures that have a small hole in fire looking through. That works good on stationary targets.

Removing the aperture (just unscrews) you have a larger peep window. This works well on moving targets.... Human eyes/brains always want to center things, so the front sight always tracks near the center of the peep.

It's dead on at 100yds, when you adjust the rear height to the line my grandpa scratched into the scale.

I had a similar thread a little while ago. I love to talk rifles and and love to shoot anything. I don't know who first said it but I think Townsend Whelen often gets credit for it. "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I only somewhat agree. I have several rifles. Most of them are wood stocked. My favorites are my old Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Magnum and my CZ 550 Safari magnums in 375 H & H and 458 Win Mag. I consider those classics(I call them the twins). I have a Ruger Model 77 in 6.5 x 55 that's remarkably accurate even though Rugers sometimes get a bad rap. My most accurate rifle is another CZ in 243. Even my old shaky hands routinely get 1 inch or better groups at 100 yards. That's the only rifle I own that does that well with me shooting it. I'm sure others could do better.

I also have a couple with synthetic stocks that serve their purpose in bad weather and a truly gorgeous Ruger Number One in grey laminate and stainless chambered for 45/70. It's maybe not a classic but it sure is pretty. I'll try and post a pic after the weekend.

I have an Rem 700 in 243 and a special model in 7mag.Both made back when they used wood.The 7mag is a stainless steel barrel and then blued.I found this out when I sent it back to Remington to get some work done.They did that for 1 year.Remington will also fix the triggers for free on the rifles that you have to take off safety to work the bolt.

Based on the other thread I'm hitting the tree today with new in 1982 Remington range master 30-06 pump gun. I Haven't carried her for years.