All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you?

I'm 60, owned 125 acres in Georgia for about 10 years. 35 acres wetland, 40 acres planted pine, the rest cutover and hardwood. Never did a thing with it until 2 years ago when I decided to fish or cut bait. Got a Bobcat tracked loader, got the pines thinned, took the level 1 QDMA course, attented a course on wetland ecology at UGA, and have been working at it ever since. Finally got tired of wearing out the Polaris ATV and myself, so this year got a Massey Ferguson. Recently installed 1200 feet of pipe and have ordered my gas pump to irrigate my plots. Always looking to learn.

I'm 60, owned 125 acres in Georgia for about 10 years. 35 acres wetland, 40 acres planted pine, the rest cutover and hardwood. Never did a thing with it until 2 years ago when I decided to fish or cut bait. Got a Bobcat tracked loader, got the pines thinned, took the level 1 QDMA course, attented a course on wetland ecology at UGA, and have been working at it ever since. Finally got tired of wearing out the Polaris ATV and myself, so this year got a Massey Ferguson. Recently installed 1200 feet of pipe and have ordered my gas pump to irrigate my plots. Always looking to learn.
Welcome Weedy

Recently installed 1200 feet of pipe and have ordered my gas pump to irrigate my plots

I’m jealous. Always wanted irrigation:)

I have some water thanks to the beavers. My problem is distance and vertical rise. I have been planning this for a few years and am still nervous as hell that it's not going to work. Expensive venture if it fails. Bought the biggest pump I could afford. Will be hooking it to the pipe in a couple of weeks and trying it out. Hope water makes it out the other end! I have gotten tired of putting in the time and money to get plots done, only to have the rain go away.

My name is Joe, 50 years old and haven't missed a deer season opening morning since I started hunting. I lived most of my life in a small town in in St Joseph county Michigan named Constantine but now live in Three Rivers. My wife and I have a house in the middle of the woods but only own 8 acres but it's the best 8 acres of deer hunting I've ever been on. We love traveling and usually spend a couple weeks a year in the Caribbean. Last year we changed things up and spent 2 weeks in Siem Reap Cambodia and had an amazing time. Plans for next year are 2 weeks in Victoria Falls Zimbabwe with trips to Chobe national park in Botswana and some time in Livingstone Zambia.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4707.JPG
    IMG_4707.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 39
My name is Joe, 50 years old and haven't missed a deer season opening morning since I started hunting. I lived most of my life in a small town in in St Joseph county Michigan named Constantine but now live in Three Rivers. My wife and I have a house in the middle of the woods but only own 8 acres but it's the best 8 acres of deer hunting I've ever been on. We love traveling and usually spend a couple weeks a year in the Caribbean. Last year we changed things up and spent 2 weeks in Siem Reap Cambodia and had an amazing time. Plans for next year are 2 weeks in Victoria Falls Zimbabwe with trips to Chobe national park in Botswana and some time in Livingstone Zambia.
Welcome Joe!

Welcome Joe, I've spent quite a bit of time just up the road from you in Benton Harbor. Beautiful country...in the summer. You will love Vic Falls and the whole neighborhood over there. If you are feeling especially adventurous go whitewater rafting down the Zambezi from there., something you will never forget. Nice deer!

Welcome Joe!

I’m jealous. Always wanted irrigation:)
So hooked up the pump, dropped the suction in the swamp and cranked her up. At the end of the longest and highest run I got about 150 GPM of water flowing! I was afraid I was gonna be disappointed. It also looks like I have a lot more pressure available, so I might be able to drive an irrigation system or gun straight off this one pump/pipe combo.

So hooked up the pump, dropped the suction in the swamp and cranked her up. At the end of the longest and highest run I got about 150 GPM of water flowing! I was afraid I was gonna be disappointed. It also looks like I have a lot more pressure available, so I might be able to drive an irrigation system or gun straight off this one pump/pipe combo.
Congrats on the irragation working!

Hi,

Jim Boyd here and on other forums.

Came over because of the Cuddeback thread.

SC full time, 62 yo, married and love it, archery only.

Hunt SC and spend 2 weeks in west central Illinois each November.

Looking forward to exploring the site!

Thanks

Hi,

Jim Boyd here and on other forums.

Came over because of the Cuddeback thread.

SC full time, 62 yo, married and love it, archery only.

Hunt SC and spend 2 weeks in west central Illinois each November.

Looking forward to exploring the site!

Thanks
Welcome Jim!

Welcome Joe

Dan here. Just joined because of the cuddeback thread and I should have my first batch of 8 of them show up tomorrow. NE Ohio. Own 110 acres that I have just started to work on since 8/8 of last year. About 30 acres of crappy weed fields that I have been able to turn into mostly timothy/alfalfa for the horses, but also corn, brassica, clover, switchgrass, a pheasant food/shelter mix, and also put in 15 apples and pears. Have a secluded food plot in as well and surrounded on 3 sides by slashings from cuts anywhere from 4 years out to just a couple months back. Eager to see improvements to the buck herd in the coming years.

Dan here. Just joined because of the cuddeback thread and I should have my first batch of 8 of them show up tomorrow. NE Ohio. Own 110 acres that I have just started to work on since 8/8 of last year. About 30 acres of crappy weed fields that I have been able to turn into mostly timothy/alfalfa for the horses, but also corn, brassica, clover, switchgrass, a pheasant food/shelter mix, and also put in 15 apples and pears. Have a secluded food plot in as well and surrounded on 3 sides by slashings from cuts anywhere from 4 years out to just a couple months back. Eager to see improvements to the buck herd in the coming years.
Welcome Dan!

Good luck with the cameras. There on my list of things to get but I’m waiting on the the home link PC cable to come out.

Hello, I'm from western Wisconsin and own just under 80 acres. We bought our hunting property a couple of years ago and I have been wanting to improve the habitat but did not know where to start. I have been visiting the site for a several months and have learned a lot and have gotten several ideas. I am looking forward to learning from everyone.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness but don't forget to have fun!!!!!

Hello, I'm from western Wisconsin and own just under 80 acres. We bought our hunting property a couple of years ago and I have been wanting to improve the habitat but did not know where to start. I have been visiting the site for a several months and have learned a lot and have gotten several ideas. I am looking forward to learning from everyone.

Welcome to the forum!