Who are you?

New to the site. I have 55 acres in Gladwin county, MI. I'm really enjoying the habitat and food plot side lately and trying to put deer in front of my 14 year old daughter and 6 year old son. I love the puzzle and hope to learn and share ideas with everyone.

Rejean

Rejean,
Welcome to H-T. Good times ahead with two young ones to drag around the land. Enjoy it, those times fly by.

I was on the QDMA with the same ID many moons and missed the shop talk. I still have dbltree link bookmarked that I use for reference now and then. Since then, Have transitioned the 35 family acres to hunting/small livestock operation. Some fields are pasture, some are for hay, and the areas that aren't suitable for farming I been slowly transitioning to small food plots and tree management.

Ironically even though there is more activity going on the property now the hunting has actually improved over the years. The deer are easier to pattern due to fence lines and a lot of times I can drive the tractor to within 20 yards of the deer before they bolt. Don't worry I'm not hunting from the tractor but it seems like every time I am on it I am seeing deer.

I was on the QDMA with the same ID many moons and missed the shop talk. I still have dbltree link bookmarked that I use for reference now and then. Since then, Have transitioned the 35 family acres to hunting/small livestock operation. Some fields are pasture, some are for hay, and the areas that aren't suitable for farming I been slowly transitioning to small food plots and tree management.

Ironically even though there is more activity going on the property now the hunting has actually improved over the years. The deer are easier to pattern due to fence lines and a lot of times I can drive the tractor to within 20 yards of the deer before they bolt. Don't worry I'm not hunting from the tractor but it seems like every time I am on it I am seeing deer.
Welcome to HT Super55! A lot of wisdom shared here friend, these guys have taught me a great deal!

Welcome to H-T.

Thanks Trouble Trees and Bill,

Hope to pick up some tips and pointers here and hope to send a few along the way.

Thanks for allowing me to participate on this forum. I manage around 450 acres in NW Georgia. I enjoy learning new tactics regarding habitat and wildlife management. I'm always looking to take a step forward in the management of my hunting property.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just joined the site. I've been reading plenty on here about crabapples. I am enamored with starting an orchard of apples and crabapples. I'm in southeast South Dakota. I planted my first trees 2 years ago. I'm grafting more and probably running out of room.

Welcome, stop that tractor and stand up I bet you see nothing but tail.

Thanks for allowing me to participate on this forum. I manage around 450 acres in NW Georgia. I enjoy learning new tactics regarding habitat and wildlife management. I'm always looking to take a step forward in the management of my hunting property.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just joined the site. I've been reading plenty on here about crabapples. I am enamored with starting an orchard of apples and crabapples. I'm in southeast South Dakota. I planted my first trees 2 years ago. I'm grafting more and probably running out of room.

Welcome to H-T.

Hi all, I just joined the site. I'm about to close on my first property and can't wait to get started trying to make it my little slice of heaven. Hoping to learn a lot here and eventually be able to contribute with my new found knowledge.

Hi all, I just joined the site. I'm about to close on my first property and can't wait to get started trying to make it my little slice of heaven. Hoping to learn a lot here and eventually be able to contribute with my new found knowledge.

Welcome to H-T.
Don't do much for the first year. At least not stuff that can't be undone.

Welcome to H-T.
Don't do much for the first year. At least not stuff that can't be undone.
Agreed. That is the plan.Definitely, a few things that can be done but need to learn the land and what I’m doing first.

Agreed. That is the plan.Definitely, a few things that can be done but need to learn the land and what I’m doing first.
I haven’t checked this thread in a while. Welcome to all the new members! Great people on here and tons of knowledge. I’m looking forward to your contributions .

I spent a good many years on the "old" QDMA website under this same name. Then a group of us MN guys became disenchanted with the QDMA when they would not support many of us when our deer program was in dissarray. The QDMA forum was disintegrating when this site was run by other management for a time....and then things went sideways with many not understanding the plight of the MN folks. I got "banned" for a second time in my life for supporting a cause that was against the views of the then new managers (owners) of this site. A large number of us then migrated to another site to live life as outcasts....largely for speaking our peace against the overharvest of deer in MN. Dunno why I got banned....but was unapologetic to this site for many years.....still dont understand "banning" as a way of punishment for dissent of ones views on such matters.

Fast forward......and I like much of what is said and done here....always have. I just have an issue with folks that have another opinion that want to ban others when we may have another take on two to best manage deer. If that offends somebody in charge....the I suppose I must be again banned from speaking my mind. So be it.

Mostly, I think the folks that run these sites should be commended for putting up with allot of different views. Sometimes things get a bit "gritty" and I urger the managements to see pas these events and let things "run their course". We may not always see eye to eye....and have differnent states and regulatetors that run our deer programs.

My 2 cents. Anyway.....unless I get banned once again....I need to tell things as I see it.....no other way for me. :).

I spent a good many years on the "old" QDMA website under this same name. Then a group of us MN guys became disenchanted with the QDMA when they would not support many of us when our deer program was in dissarray. The QDMA forum was disintegrating when this site was run by other management for a time....and then things went sideways with many not understanding the plight of the MN folks. I got "banned" for a second time in my life for supporting a cause that was against the views of the then new managers (owners) of this site. A large number of us then migrated to another site to live life as outcasts....largely for speaking our peace against the overharvest of deer in MN. Dunno why I got banned....but was unapologetic to this site for many years.....still dont understand "banning" as a way of punishment for dissent of ones views on such matters.

Fast forward......and I like much of what is said and done here....always have. I just have an issue with folks that have another opinion that want to ban others when we may have another take on two to best manage deer. If that offends somebody in charge....the I suppose I must be again banned from speaking my mind. So be it.

Mostly, I think the folks that run these sites should be commended for putting up with allot of different views. Sometimes things get a bit "gritty" and I urger the managements to see pas these events and let things "run their course". We may not always see eye to eye....and have differnent states and regulatetors that run our deer programs.

My 2 cents. Anyway.....unless I get banned once again....I need to tell things as I see it.....no other way for me. :).

If this is plain Foggy with no numbers, from this site with a 2014 join date....
That user name shows Valid and not banned. I do see a different email address for it though.

Anyway, welcome to or back to H-T.

Hello,

I just joined this site to learn what others are doing for food plots. I have 50 acres in central North Carolina and regularly plant cow peas, clover and oats for food plots. I have planted a small apple orchard (12 trees) and I have planted mulberry, persimmon and paw paw trees across our property, currently with around 4 mulberry, 6 persimmon and 1 paw paw that are producing.

Howdy,
I joined this deal about a month ago at the recommendation of teeder. I been rotationally grazing cattle on irrigated grass for about 22 years In Idaho. I have always noticed that grass that got some shade regrew so much taller mid summer, so I started trying to grow trees. I got a lot to learn and I appreciate this site a lot.

My goal is to have about 750 to 1000 trees / shrubs on 30 acres in the next 4 or 5 years. Then as they grow I can finally have some hardwood for the firebox!

Hello,

I just joined this site to learn what others are doing for food plots. I have 50 acres in central North Carolina and regularly plant cow peas, clover and oats for food plots. I have planted a small apple orchard (12 trees) and I have planted mulberry, persimmon and paw paw trees across our property, currently with around 4 mulberry, 6 persimmon and 1 paw paw that are producing.
Howdy,
I joined this deal about a month ago at the recommendation of teeder. I been rotationally grazing cattle on irrigated grass for about 22 years In Idaho. I have always noticed that grass that got some shade regrew so much taller mid summer, so I started trying to grow trees. I got a lot to learn and I appreciate this site a lot.

My goal is to have about 750 to 1000 trees / shrubs on 30 acres in the next 4 or 5 years. Then as they grow I can finally have some hardwood for the firebox!

Welcome to H-T..

New member from NW Missouri. I was raised in rural California, moved to Minnesota when I turned 18. This is where I met a farm gal who has now been my wife for 40 years. Ten years ago we purchased 13 acres and I began habitat improvement on that property. Today we have 137 acres total. Following twelve exciting years as a missionary and eighteen as a professor, I now serve as president of a Christian not-for-profit network of senior care facilities.

I joined the forum to glean insights on stewarding the 85 acres we live on in NW Missouri. 10 acres of this is under a USDA pollinator/nesting/wildlife contract that will require extensive planting this year. Another 50 acres is on a soy-corn rotation. We also have 40 acres in Texas County, MO (adjacent to Mark Twain National Forest) on a cattle lease and those original 13 acres in Dade County Missouri that I’ve been doing TSI and foot plots on for 10 years.

I am exploring going to no-till this year, and recently added a 1964 JD3020 tractor to help with the task. I also have a JD3025e that have been a workhorse for the past five years.

This year the USDA plan includes planting 100 trees along the creek. I've had little success with bare root plantings, so I’m all ears on making this and the wildlife projects successful.

IMG_0298.jpeg

Welcome! Another Missouri guy here. I live in the St. Louis county area but my property is in Crawford County. Texas county can be a little bit of rugged country but there’s lots of deer down there - and of course northwest missouri is great deer hunting. You’re in a couple nice locations. It will Be nice to hear what work you’re doing.