Whitetail Institute Conceal

roymunson

5 year old buck +
What's in it? Just saw it in the book and ciould think of a lot of places it'd work as a screen. I couldn't find what's actually in it, but it looks like it has something with a head like sorgum in it

It looks like a a couple different types of sorghum and maybe some e-wheat and sorghum sudan grass.

I have been looking at this as well. I saw sudan grass in there for sure.

is it gonna flop flat after a couple frosts and a good snow?

is it gonna flop flat after a couple frosts and a good snow?

Yes and no.
I watched the video’s on their website. They show everything except the fully mature seed head. It looks a lot like Redtop sorghum to me. “The tall stuff”. It will hold up in MO. Until late November. After brown down it will stand until you get either high winds or heavy snow or ice.

Redtop was my favorite until I found Miscanthus.

good to hear, bill... I bought enough to give it a try. Have a couple of visual screens I'd like to have, and while MG is a better long term option, I'm still learning the property and want to make sure I know where I want my visual breaks go before I fully commit to them.

For what it’s worth, Conceal was the most expensive of temporary screens I looked at. I ended up buying the Northwoods screen this year. I will probably try some side by side comparisons next year. I am planting a couple different WI products this year but not Conceal.

I was very disappointed in the Northwoods screen I did last year. It has great reviews though, maybe I did something wrong who knows

I was very disappointed in the Northwoods screen I did last year. It has great reviews though, maybe I did something wrong who knows
I have heard the same positive reviews. What was wrong with your screen that lead to your disappointment? There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the screens depending on planting timing, rates, depths, etc. Curious what happened with yours.

Mine did not get very tall (maybe 6ft)and it flopped easy, way before winter it was laying down. I planted Egyptian wheat the year before and it was about the same as the northwoods screen. Hopeful my Miscanthus takes off soon and I can quit the annual screens

Sorghum x sudan late maturing variety works well here

bill

Anyone used a TNM method for planting a screen? I am a firm believer in the method for food plots. Just not sure if the seed sizes for a seasonal screen will work. I really don’t want to disc the seed in. I have a 1000’ I want to screen and in the process of planting the start of a permanent one. In the meantime I was thinking of using a temporary one.

The area is covered in last years Foxtail. I could spray Mid to late May and broadcast then mow the matted up foxtail into the seed. Everything I have read though stated most of the seed depth needs to be an inch.

Not sure what you did wrong. Our screens average 12 to 14 feet tall. And they all stayed upright past Christmas. The screen behind my house is still standing past 10 feet as I type this. I see many issues with planting.
Over seeding, lack of weed control, to shallow planting depth and planting to late in the year are the 4 I see the most. The sorghum we get is as strong as anything I have seen.
The picture is from Dec 6th and it’s all up and doing great.
C6A61DE6-95F0-4E66-86AD-197EB01F417B.jpeg

Not sure what you did wrong. Our screens average 12 to 14 feet tall. And they all stayed upright past Christmas. The screen behind my house is still standing past 10 feet as I type this. I see many issues with planting.
Over seeding, lack of weed control, to shallow planting depth and planting to late in the year are the 4 I see the most. The sorghum we get is as strong as anything I have seen.
The picture is from Dec 6th and it’s all up and doing great.
View attachment 23463
Mine looked like the front left portion of your picture. I'm sure the blame was on me. I would never bash a product, too many variables in nature to consider. I feel a little conflicted about you calling me out on it lol. It's all good though.

Last edited:
Ok
The lower part had little weed control and was full of Johnson grass. Choked it out and it shows the results.
Sorry, didn’t mean to call you out.

I prefer to use white spruce and red pines for visual screens!

I prefer to use white spruce and red pines for visual screens!
Those take time plant both and have it now and later. I started a screen this year but will probably still plant an annual screen.