Where to prune or prune at all

Suburbhunter

5 year old buck +
7035e4efc55c674e45e4f4c24a19eef3.jpg

The leader on this enterprise has take a 90 degree turn. Should I prune it below the turn when the tree goes dormant in hopes it will straighten out? It’s bent too much to try to straighten it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the branch angle is pretty narrow on the limb between the "leader" and us. I would cut the leader at the junction and tie and train that other branch to become the leader if the angle is as narrow as it looks.

I’d cut some stuff now and put a 10’ piece of conduit on it and get that leader growing straight up

I would just straighten it out gradually over the next two weeks.

Personally, I think the current “leader” is too far gone to salvage. I agree with Turkey Creek… prune the current “leader” completely off, then tie the branch to the left so it is growing upright which will allow it to become the new leader as this tree continues to grow. Next year, you might want to prune the limb to the right back a bit so it does not compete to be the new “leader”. Rome was not built in a day, this tree can be fine but it will take some time to take on it's new and improved form. Just my two cents.

It’s ok, none of my stark bros trees grow straight either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk