Where to buy miscanthus?

I half ass planted (Just ran out of steam - bought too much as usual each spring) 100 Rhizomes from Real World as a test. Came packaged well, ontime and from a cold weather source in Canada. They did extremely well last summer in North Central Wisconsin. I'm waiting to see how well they winter before making another purchase, but would agree on the 3-4 rows staggered for a true screen.

Just purchased 30 from Maple River. I will see if I can actually not kill them like I do everything else! If they survive, I will buy more next Spring.

Plan to do a 100yds 3 row planting next spring behind my barn, I plan to also have a layer of switch behind it but want to make sure I have a solid screen for a 2 acre plot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Plan to do a 100yds 3 row planting next spring behind my barn, I plan to also have a layer of switch behind it but want to make sure I have a solid screen for a 2 acre plot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
You don't have spend the extra $. Two rows with plants 18 inches apart is plenty for a good screen.

I

I did the same thing, two separate small batches 18" apart and 18" rows in two rows.... and very same results and I would also go with 3-4 rows next time with a larger order, they have done well here in NW Wisconsin.

That is encouraging. I have avoided it due to reports of it not making it through winters in central MN and northward. Where did you source it from?

Im an hour east of the cities and they have done well, stalks are still standing or at least they were before this last dumping of snow we all just got.

I did two separate orders one from maple river farms and one from real world giant miscanthus. Both with the same results, the last order should be caught up in size/height this year. Im sure we dont get the same growth out of them as they do down south do to the shorter growing season but... you know it is what it is up here.

I intend to try and start splitting rhizomes and see how that works. I will give cutting another shot this year too. I may order another larger batch in the future, Im happy with the results. far better than replanting Eygptian wheat.

Im an hour east of the cities and they have done well, stalks are still standing or at least they were before this last dumping of snow we all just got.

I did two separate orders one from maple river farms and one from real world giant miscanthus. Both with the same results, the last order should be caught up in size/height this year. Im sure we dont get the same growth out of them as they do down south do to the shorter growing season but... you know it is what it is up here.

I intend to try and start splitting rhizomes and see how that works. I will give cutting another shot this year too. I may order another larger batch in the future, Im happy with the results. far better than replanting Eygptian wheat.

Any pics of your stands? How old are they, how tall have they gotten?

Keep in mind that MG can go dormant for a year. Important to keep weed and grass down around it so heat of sun reaches the soil.

Any pics of your stands? How old are they, how tall have they gotten?
These pics are from 2021 Im going to say they have maxed out for height after about 3-4 years this is a double row 18 inches apart after 3 plus years in NW Wisconsin on heavy clay ground with no weed control after the first year - sprayed before planting nothing ever after that initial one app. The ground slopes up to were the pick up a 09 1/2 ton sits, about a 1 1/2' rise , just to give you an idea of the height.

Attachments

• mg1.jpg
    mg1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 28
  • mg2.jpg
    mg2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
These pics are from 2021 Im going to say they have maxed out for height after about 3-4 years this is a double row 18 inches apart after 3 plus years in NW Wisconsin on heavy clay ground with no weed control after the first year - sprayed before planting nothing ever after that initial one app. The ground slopes up to were the pick up a 09 1/2 ton sites about a 1 1/2' rise just to give you an idea of the height.
Very nice, thanks for sharing

Both places I planted were just tests to see if it would grow up here, no issues at all with our usda growing zone

Both places I planted were just tests to see if it would grow up here, no issues at all with our usda growing zone
I'm planting a tunnel to access a rifle stand on a destination plot (5a) and a roadside screen to deter the looky loos along the gravel road (4b). I'm sure it'll suit my needs within a few years and way better than planting annual screens.

I'm planting a tunnel to access a rifle stand on a destination plot (5a) and a roadside screen to deter the looky loos along the gravel road (4b). I'm sure it'll suit my needs within a few years and way better than planting annual screens.
wait till you come face to face with a deer walking at you down that tunnel at night... been there

wait till you come face to face with a deer walking at you down that tunnel at night... been there
Who was more surprised? 😯

haha. You must not have put a "no deer allowed" sign up to keep them out of your access route..