Where to buy miscanthus?

split toe

5 year old buck +
Anyone have a reliable place to buy it from?

Where does he get it from? Or is he farming his own?
That I don’t know. He says it a patented cultivar, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a licensing agreement to distribute.

I've used these guys the last couple years. They have been really good to me.

I bought some from them this past fall. They are only ones I’ve seen saying to fall plant. We will see how it does.

I planted mine in early summer and they did fine.

I bought mine from Maple River and planted it in the spring and have a healthy stand.

Did Maple River change their tune? When I bought from them a couple times, I thought they promoted spring planting. That's what I did anyhow.

I planted mine several years ago, not familiar with any changes to planting recommendations. Not sure why fall would be better, seems like a very shortened time period for the plant to establish before winter.

I planted mine several years ago, not familiar with any changes to planting recommendations. Not sure why fall would be better, seems like a very shortened time period for the plant to establish before winter.
Sorry. My last batch was from LacyCreek and they were ones who recommended fall planting here in south.

Almost everything here does better fall planted. Let’s it get better root formation for first hot summer.

I have seen spacing from 18" to 3' between rhizomes and rows. What have you guys seen as the best distance for spacing?

VV

I did one row and 12in spacing year 3 and have a pretty darn good screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only planted 100 to see how it would do in my soil and zone before going bigger, and it is only grown for 2 years now. I planted 2 staggered rows 18" apart and 18" between plantings, if I were to do it as a serious screen I would probably go with 3-4 rows but keep the 18" distances. It does fill in, I now have roughly double what I planted 2 years ago.

I
I only planted 100 to see how it would do in my soil and zone before going bigger, and it is only grown for 2 years now. I planted 2 staggered rows 18" apart and 18" between plantings, if I were to do it as a serious screen I would probably go with 3-4 rows but keep the 18" distances. It does fill in, I now have roughly double what I planted 2 years ago.
I did the same thing, two separate small batches 18" apart and 18" rows in two rows.... and very same results and I would also go with 3-4 rows next time with a larger order, they have done well here in NW Wisconsin.

I placed an order with maple river farms earlier this winter and just got the confirmation that my reservation is made and is ready for payment.

If anyone is looking to buy some, might have to get an order in quick before it's all spoken for.

One other thing I did was save a small batch of the rhizomes and planted them in an area I could plan on harvesting them for future plantings. Looks like 3-4 years after planting a guy will have a bunch to replant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to do a test at my zone 3 farm this spring. 30 plants. The website says you can keep the rhizomes in the refrigerator for two weeks.

But I won’t be able to dig a hole for at least 5 weeks from now. If I wait another 3 - 4 weeks to order, are they usually spoken for by then?

Any chance I can store them longer?

I want to do a test at my zone 3 farm this spring. 30 plants. The website says you can keep the rhizomes in the refrigerator for two weeks.

But I won’t be able to dig a hole for at least 5 weeks from now. If I wait another 3 - 4 weeks to order, are they usually spoken for by then?

Any chance I can store them longer?
When you place an order you tell them the ship date you want, no need to store them or try to time it out.